Propane tank level

jhflying

I'm looking for some bright ideas on how to tell the propane tank levels. It is freezing cold out and I'm burning through propane like no tomorrow, but when I run out of propane - oh it gets ugly in the RV fast.

I know you can pour some water on the tank and check the condensation level, but there must be an easier way. On my old RV, there was a level indicator on the inside control panel. Is there some cool indicator / system that people are using? Some portable sticker that can be stuck to the tank?

Thanks,
John

SmokeyBare

John,

If the sticker is the same one I've seen... that too requires hot water poured over the sticker to get a reading of the propane level.

Do a Search on Ebay... I seen several that are dial meters... that are designed for Grill Tanks. They might be what you are looking for.

I also found a few at Northern Tool... Link: http://www.northerntool.com

Good Luck !

Last edited:

HappyKayakers

Don't use the automatic switch-over feature. Close the valve on the inactive cylinder. When the active one runs out, you'll know. Flip the lever to the other cylinder and open the valve. Then go fill up the empty cylinder and repeat.

jpmorgan37

I use the automatic switch-over because I got tired of getting up at 3:00 AM to switch my tanks because the furnace was blowing cold air and the temp was dropping quickly. I just make it a habit to check my tanks frequently. When I see the red flag, I switch my valve and go fill my empty tank. I haven't run out in four years, doing it that way and my feet don't get cold at 3:00 AM. That's what works for me, not saying that's the way you should do it.

John

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
What's the automatic switch over?
Creeper, it's the valve on the LP system that alerts you that one of your LP tanks is empty. If you have both tank valves open, the tank that the switch valve is pointing to is being used. When it runs out, the other tank will automatically come into play and a red pop up comes into view at the switch. Flip the switch to point to the other tank (full) and the pop up turns green. Remove the empty tank and get it filled. Re-install the tank and open the valve slowly and you are back in business until the other tank runs out. Pop up turns red, switch the valve to the full tank and repeat.

creeper

Creeper, it's the valve on the LP system that alerts you that one of your LP tanks is empty. If you have both tank valves open, the tank that the switch valve is pointing to is being used. When it runs out, the other tank will automatically come into play and a red pop up comes into view at the switch. Flip the switch to point to the other tank (full) and the pop up turns green. Remove the empty tank and get it filled. Re-install the tank and open the valve slowly and you are back in business until the other tank runs out. Pop up turns red, switch the valve to the full tank and repeat.

I guess my dealer should have told me how this works. So the valve will automatically switch over? No special setting like middle?

I have only one tank on and it points towards that tank. It's green, I assume I should have the other valve open and when it turns red it will use the other tank and I move the arrow over to that tank correct?

For the OP you can try the something like this.. http://www.northlineexpress.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=5TVL-TVL-212P&source=nextag&kw=5TVL-TVL-212P

crazybanshee

If you do a search you can find the auto switches with a remote light that mounts inside your RV. Then you will know without going outside.
Doug