Fireplace troubleshooting

caokgafamily

Everything on my fireplace works fine except there is no heat, I've been using it for the last 1.5 years and it works good. The problem is the heat elements are inop. I pulled the fp out and took it apart and found the prob but I have some questions. There is this one white wire that supplies the juice to the heat elements. Before the white wire goes to the element it is conected to this heat protector strip " see pic " I think this is some UL approved over heating breaker ? This breaker will not carry any juice, If I bypass it the heat works fine and you still can adjust the temp up & down. This heat protector strip has some copper film that opens when it gets to hot thus no juice. The contact is touching so it should work. What if just bypass it ?

Thanks for any input.
Steve

Attachments

• DSC02054.jpg
    DSC02054.jpg
    252.2 KB · Views: 110
  • DSC02055.jpg
    DSC02055.jpg
    458.6 KB · Views: 101

SmokeyBare

Looking at your Photo of the Heat Protector Strip... the wire on the right side... connects to a black fiber plate... which is attached by two brass rivets. Look at the back side of that black fiber plate... see if a Bi-Metal contact switch located on the back side.... it doesn't take much to break the contacts apart... and in the process... cut the flow of power.

If you DO find this Bi-Metal contact switch... make sure they are touching together... making contact to each other... so power can flow through the contacts.

The round tube with wires attached to each end... should be a fuse to prevent over heating...

This is much like the small Cube Heater... electric Ceramic heater... I just took apart last week. In my case... the heating element was broken... Which I soldered back together. One more "Fix-it" guy repair.

Good Luck with your Fireplace Heater.

caokgafamily

smokey,
I looked over the breaker with a magnifing glass, everything is conected. What if bypass it ? Remeber this is not the thermostat.

SmokeyBare

Steve,

I can't be the one to suggest doing that... They built that feature into the Heating part of the Fireplace for Safety...

I would first try contacting the Company that Manufactured the Fireplace... to see if they have a replacement part available that you could order. If you have difficulty finding who built it... or a number for parts... Then Call Heartland for the information.

If the unit caused a fire... after you did the by pass... we'd all be feeling terrible !!

Good Luck !

Marv

caokgafamily

I talked to a friend who is a electronic technician and he looked at the pictures. The first picture is a thermol protector. He said they go out all the time. I'm still thinking about bypassing for this trip and if we use it only run it at medium temp.

jimtoo

Hi Jeff,

I see you have been a member of the forum for a while, just never posted. But welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

I did a little search and found this place, Desa Parts. You might get your model number and give them a call.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M