battery charging

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
How does one know how much the inverter is charging the battery when plugged into shore power. The 5er battery seems to need water quite often. I suppose I could use an amp meter and check with it hooked up and not hooked up. What say all you RV experts. Bob:D

ct0218

Sometimes they do fail to reduce the charge level to a lower maintenance charge and will overcharge the battery. Mine did the in the Landmark. I replaced it with a different brand, supposedly a little more high tech, and no more problems. With the new converter and batteries I have used less water in 6 months than I was using in 2 weeks. Most have a 2 year warranty, but you have to send it back for a claim, hard to do if you are a FT though.

Forrest Fetherolf

How does one know how much the inverter is charging the battery when plugged into shore power. The 5er battery seems to need water quite often. I suppose I could use an amp meter and check with it hooked up and not hooked up. What say all you RV experts. Bob:D

B&P,

My voltmeter indicates (as in attached photos) a constant 13 to 14 volts when connected to shore power, generator, or the TV with engine running and 12+ volts when all 3 charging systems are inactive. I don't think 13 to 14 constant voltage will cause the batteries to go dry. I have not had a problem since the 06 RV was new and is plugged in continually to shore power when in storage.

A volt meter will show battery voltage status at all times, amp meter will indicate current flow rate and direction only when charging or discharging.

I would recommend a voltmeter similar to the 120 volt and 12 volt meters I installed. You will know at a glance shore power voltage, generator voltage, and battery voltage.

Forrest

Attachments

• VOLT_METERS001.JPG
    VOLT_METERS001.JPG
    161.1 KB · Views: 59
  • VOLT_METERS002.JPG
    VOLT_METERS002.JPG
    158.6 KB · Views: 58

Uncle Rog

Hey Bob, the control panel that I use in concert with the Xantrex 3-stage charger / inverter also shows, at a glance, the state of charge, and the voltage being applied. The 3-stage charger seems to keep the batteries up to full without boiling them out. Forrest's amp meter is a nice touch. I recently installed the water miser battery caps, not to be confused with hydrocaps, http://store.solar-electric.com/batwatmiscap.html, the jury is still out on their efficiency but the water levels seem to be maintaining better, we shall see. Merry Christmas!!!

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Thanks guys, I was just concerned that the battery was being over charged. I guess I will do something like Forrest did. I just didn't want a cooked battery. Merry Christmas to you all. Bob:D

Fordsd250

Ever since I added a 2nd battery to our BH, the water levels have stayed very good much longer than with just the one battery.;)