Contruction of light weight 5th wheels

Pull Dog

I'm looking at new 5th wheels and weight is of prime consideration. Currently I am pulling with a Dodge Cummins but like the idea of towing with a heavy duty half ton. My concerns mostly are about the construction and durability of the North Trail and Sundance XLT mid profile light weight units. What has been left out to make them 1500/2,000 lbs lighter????

jbeletti

Pull Dog,

Go to the factory site at this link for North Trail (as one example). Then look to the right of that page and down a bit. Click on the Construction Booklet download.

Also, click on the Downloads tab to find other informative articles.

I am moving your thread out of the Guest area and into the North Trail forum so you have a larger audience of owners to give you feedback.

Best of luck,

Jim

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
A big portion of the weight savings is going to be in the amount of slide outs.

Each slide out adds roughly 750 - 1000 lbs on average.

The avg mid profile 5th wheel has 2 or 3 slides vs an avg ultralite 5th wheel that usually has 1 slide, some have 2.

Now if you are ditching the diesel for a gasser to save money on fuel because gas is cheaper you really ain't saving anything because a diesel is that much more fuel efficient than a gas engine, especially when towing. Do the math before taking fuel prices at face value.

Me, I get 15-16 mpg pulling the mid profile ultralite fifth wheels like the North Trail/ Sundance X

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
PULL DOG, stick with the truck you have. Most of the time your truck will get almost double the fuel mileage than a gasser. Your truck has a tougher drive train. BTW, if you trade down in truck size, at sometime you might want a bigger trailer, then you have to buy a bigger truck all over again. Remember its better to have too much truck than too much trailer. my 2cts worth. Bob:D

Pull Dog

I'm looking at new 5th wheels and weight is of prime consideration. Currently I am pulling with a Dodge Cummins but like the idea of towing with a heavy duty half ton. My concerns mostly are about the construction and durability of the North Trail and Sundance XLT mid profile light weight units. What has been left out to make them 1500/2,000 lbs lighter????

I actually worded this wrong. I like the idea of having a trailer that is half ton towable for resale purposes! Big 5th wheels that are 10 to 12k pounds dry weight are harder to sell because of the requirement of the tow vehicle. Everything I buy someday I will have to sell. I never trade in anything because dealers actually give you nothing for it.
I love my Dodge Cummins and really plan on using it for years to come. After towing 11 years with a big gas F250 Ford I realized very quickly that I had made a mistake of holding on to it too long. This is my first Dodge and I have been significantly impressed. Cummins is the absolute only way to go!!

05Winger

I have the 287XLT 30 5th wheel and differences I notice is no marble counter tops and less cabinets and drawers. I do wish we had the bedroom slide but that is the only thing I miss. I like not having to work my truck so hard on long hills and when I want to pass someone... I do