21fbs - Modification to table

Hunter

Newby
One of the things that we did not like about the 21fbs was the fact that the table had to be put down while traveling. We like to stop at truck stops or along the side of the road and make a coffee and just sit at the table and have a rest.

The 21fbs was lacking this feature, but, my husband promised that he would modify the table to allow it to stay up all the time.

Our friend knew someone who would be able to bend metal, my husband designed the legs, and between the 2 of them, they decided the material to be used.

Each leg was made out of a single piece of 48 inch long, 3 inches wide and 3/8" thick stainless steel. The stainless steel was bent to have an 8 inch base, 28 inches of height & 12 inch top. Holes were pre-drilled in the stainless steel for anchoring to the floor and to the table top. A foot and braces were saudered on ... see pictures on below link. Total cost ... as we went with stainless steel .. was $250 plus taxes. The cost would have been less if we had gone with another material, but, I liked the idea of never having to paint it.

The legs are extremely sturdy .. in fact maybe a little sturdier than what they should be. Each leg weights 16.2 lbs, but once attached they will not go anywhere.

Pictures and explanations can be found at:
http://good-times.webshots.com/album/569375754mHDjuE

My husband is going to use the existing table leg holes to attach the new legs. Our current plans for attachment is to use a bung in the hole, as we want to take the table down if we want to use the bench as a bed. Regardless of whether we use a bung or fill the hole with wood (if the bung idea doesn't work), we will be using the existing hole in the floor to attach the legs. We put the foot on the base so that the existing metal leg holes will stay where they are.

P.S. You can also find this post on The North Trailers.com forum at: http://www.northtrailtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1121

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Very nice work. Yes, maybe a little overkill on the materials but now it's very professional. I have to ask though, why couldn't the table be left up for travel? We've had the same table mounts in prior trailers and have left the pedestals in place with no problems. Either way though, nicely done!

Hunter

Newby
When the slide is closed, the bench goes over the round table mounts, so, the legs have to be removed or the slide will not close. (see picture)

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
When the slide is closed, the bench goes over the round table mounts, so, the legs have to be removed or the slide will not close. (see picture)
Ahh! That makes sense. I guess I could have looked at the fllor plan and that would have given me a logical picture:eek:. GOOD IDEA you have there :D

Hunter

Newby
21fbs - table modifications - Changes

If you have already looked at the pictures on webshot ... you may want to look again. When we went to drop off the legs at the trailer (in storage), we noticed that the hole in the base of the leg will have to be elongated. I added more pictures to the webshot pics to illustrate this point.

We forgot to take into consideration the lip on the bench (so that you can make it into a bed). This means that the hole in the base of the leg has to be elongated forward.

That is what happens when you measure quickly and then put the trailer into storage. :D

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/569375754mHDjuE