Generaator stress on frame?

rickbsgu

rickbsgu
Generator stress on frame?

Hi -

I'm getting a new 3670RL and have an Onan 6K generator I'm wanting to transfer from another unit. It's a good generator and can save me a $5K+ options expense for a new generator.

I imagine it is a heavy thing - I'm wondering if it would stress the frame? Are the versions installed new as an option any lighter?

I'd post this in the 'Ask the Factory' forum, but they're closed until 5-Jan and I'd like to get some feedback on this before then.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks,
rickb

Last edited:

jbeletti

Rick,

Only a guess here but I'd think your 6K is not much heavier than the Cummins Onan 5.5K Marquis Gold that Heartland installs. To be sure, I suggest you contact Cummins Onan. They should know the weight of both units.

Failing that, if you know the weight of your 6K unit, a call to the factory (574-262-5992) on 1/5 should get you the weight of the 5.5K.

By the way, if your unit is gasoline fueled, you will have to have a tank installed on your 5er. The 5.5K we use on all but Toyhaulers is LP fueled and tapped off your RV's LP system.
Jim

Tom of Ypsi

According to the Onan Marquis Gold LP manual the dry weight is 290#. I would think the BH would be able to handle that but the pin weight will be higher and like Jim stated your 6K should not weigh that much more.

rickbsgu

rickbsgu
Thanks for the quick response.

I know, I'm going to have to get a gas tank fitted, but that's ok. I'd rather run it on gas. I'm thinking a largish boat tank with a bulb primer would be good - that way I can drain it easily and I won't get the dreaded carburetor gum-up issue (which seems to happen regularly.)

rickbsgu

rickbsgu
So, a little bit of bracket modification, and ...

... the old gen fit right in. Room to spare. It's a 6.5kw gen, not a 6.0kw.

We found a 12gal polyprop tank that will fit in the compartment next door, and are adding a fill tube that will go where one of the battery vents are. Have to move the batteries into the storage compartment, but that's not a deal breaker.

Now, we're yanking out the old 2000 watt Heart Interface charger/inverter from the Bounder. A bit of work - wiring fingers spread throughout the coach.

Hopefully, on the road by tomorrow!!

Followup: It took a while, but the dealer did an awesome job installing the inverter. Tucked it in behind the forward panel cover in the storage bay, with an access panel so I can reset breakers if they trip. The remote was run up into the panel with all the other controls and it looks like it belongs. Perfect! I'm jazzed.

rickb

Last edited:

rickbsgu

rickbsgu
So, I didn't get off on Friday... waiting for a fuel tank and fittings to come in. :(

Here's some good news, though - checking weights (which were my big concern), the Emerald III 6.5kw I put in there is 40 lbs lighter than the 5.5kw propane that is provided by HL. Leaves plenty for the fuel weight and a little left over. Maybe it'll drive both ACs!

So, no sweat!