Storage compartment magnetic catches

2Stepn

Just getting to know our new trailer, and have found I'm already tired of the outside storage compartment doors dropping and hitting me while I'm try to put in/take out things in the storage area. My assessment of the magnetic catches heartland is using is that they are a bad idea.
I've talked to the dealer, and they have said they are ordering new magnets. The magnets seem fine, it's the compartment door being held away from the magnets by the latch handle.
My question. Has anyone come up with a solution for this problem? I'm not sure how long heartland has been using these catches, but I suspect I'm not the only one with these issues.
Thanks,
Bill

jbeletti

Bill - I haven't heard this complaint before. Maybe a bad batch of magnets.

The latch Dan linked to is a real nice one.

Another option is to add gas struts. A bit of work and the most expensive option.

centerline

If the handle is keeping the magnet from contacting the surface to hold it securely, is it possible to remove the magnet and install a spacer under it, so that it can make contact?....

Bogie

The magnets seem fine, it's the compartment door being held away from the magnets by the latch handle.

Bill

I have never had a problem with the cargo door dropping down. The magnetic catches I have look like THESE. The one on the door stands off about a half in inch with an equal one on the wall. The slam latches are flush with the door so no interferrence there. If you have a different latch and the magnets are good, you may benifit from making a little spacer to increase the distance.

BTW. When my door is open it's completely verticle. So it takes more than a bump do disenguage it.

NYSUPstater

I have never had a problem with the cargo door dropping down. The magnetic catches I have look like THESE. The one on the door stands off about a half in inch with an equal one on the wall. The slam latches are flush with the door so no interferrence there. If you have a different latch and the magnets are good, you may benifit from making a little spacer to increase the distance.

BTW. When my door is open it's completely verticle. So it takes more than a bump do disenguage it.

Same here. Takes a pretty good tug to pull the door away from the magnet. This is on the pass side basement door. Front compartment has standard latch. Driver's side basement door swing's back to front and was always swinging back while doing things on that side it seemed. So I added a "T" latch using HD velcro on both the door and side of coach for the base of latch and "T". Problem solved.

2Stepn

Spacers may be the way to go. Even when the magnets do hold, the latch handle is touching the side of the trailer.

Thanks for you're thoughts
Bill