Dead battery - Converter bad?

jtcfishing

What to do when you call for warranty help and get we are out for the holidays? Be back in a week! Woke up to dead battery checked converter it must be bad. What fun at 27deg. only 1000 miles from dealer where purchased.Fulltiming in KC Mo.:(

Tom of Ypsi

The first thing I would do is go to the nearest repair shop or get a mobile rv repair and get the problem fixed. I would then call Heartland and explain the situation. Keep everthing that is replaced in hopes of getting a reimbursement of some kind. It is too cold to be sitting there a freezing your butts off.

snuffy

Make sure you don't have any blown fuses anywhere.
I'm confident Heartland will make good on the repair.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We just had our converter go out. Look on the converter. There is the company name and telephone number. Call the company who made the converter. They will give you the information you need to get the converter swapped out. You may have to have it checked by an RV repair company to verify that the converter is bad. One way to check it is to take your volt meter and check to be sure the ac plug is supplying the 110-120 volts to the converter. Then check the output voltage of the converter to see if it is supplying the 12-14 volts to the battery. If it is not then the converter is bad. My converter had 4 30amp fuses on it. Check the 30amp fuses to see if they are okay. If they are okay then the converter is defective. The converter manufacturer supplied the replacement, and my extended warranty paid for the labor to remove and replace it. Then the defective converter had to be returned to the manufacturer. While waiting for the replacement you can put a battery charger on the battery to keep the battery charged up so you can use the 12 volt system on the RV. You will have to keep the battery connected to the converter (even though the converter is not working) to use the battery charger in that manner. Remember the function of the converter is to keep the battery charged. Hope this will get you by.

jtcfishing

Thanks for advice check everything out and converter is bad.Installed new one,what a spot to get in! All things work like they are sopose to now. I really hope Heartland will take care of there end!

jmgratz

Glad that you got it going. I haven't had a problem with Heartland holding up their end yet. Good Luck.

too late for this time, but when our converter went out we called the dealer as we were several hundred miles from home. They told us to get a battery charger that had a meter on it. Hooked it up and it did fine keeping the battery up until we got home and the dealer checked the converter. It only needed a fuse. We still carry the charger. May come in handed for another time.

jmgratz

I forgot to tell you...Our converter has a 2 year warranty so after the first year, covered by the manufacturer (Heartland), the converter manufacturer covers it. Our was about 1 1/2 years old so the converter manufacturer covered it, not Heartland. If you are in that situation then call the converter manufacturer for replacement not Heartland.

jmgratz

Also that is good advice on the battery charger. We found one at Wal-Mart for about $60.00 that has a digital meter on it and several settings. It is light and small enough to be able to carry it with you stored in the battery compartment....just in case....

2010augusta

I have the same problem. woke up to two dead batteries and had to put my charger on the set. I crawled into the compartment checked the fuses, checked the supply power. I called Heartland and they are sending me a new one.

flamingknitter

I found out the hard way that my 7-pin wasn't fully connected at the truck when they moved it up into the bed. The lights and brakes worked but the wires for the battery were not hooked up. And then....the second battery was installed backwards. The thinking was that this was done when the dealer abruptly closed the repair shop. Fried batteries that couldn't be charged. It is amazing how much stuff works on 12v.