NuWa bites the dust

jbeletti

Thanks for the link Kenny.

It is a sad day for those who were contemplating a new NuWa (Hitchhiker...) purchase in the future.

It is also the sad reality of the RV industry today. It is really tough going out there.

When I have final Heartland numbers for 2008, I will post them, but we ended the year well up from 2007. We expect to have a decent 2009 - albeit not the same numbers we did in 2008.

Latest I have read is Q3-2009 before the housing market "starts" to turn the corner. I understand that RV sales follow the housing industry. I'd expect 2010 to be a pretty good year for the industry - for those who can survive 2009.

Thanks again to all Heartland product owners for your support. Heartland will weather the storm :)

Jim

creeper

As far as I'm concerned I have no use for NUWAAAAAA, WAAAAA... They have no class. They have done nothing but, blame others for their failure to adapt to the market. Even in Mike's parting statement he takes a swipe at other 5th Wheel manufacturers.

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
I understand that RV sales follow the housing industry.

That is correct. Fuel prices didn't kill the market, home prices did and the credit freeze nailed the lid on the coffin. I was still running hard when fuel was $4.89 a gallon...... was over $6 a US gallon in Canada.:eek: Wasn't until the financial markets crashed that I really slowed down.

I don't expect the industry to really pick up until 2010.

azbound

Back in 2007 the NUWA CEO took a shot at Heartland RV.net by name, ran down the products and trashed the Heartland name. AT THE TIME I COMMENTED/RESPONDED ON RV.net THAT THE ONLY REASON I COULD SEE FOR HIS REMARKS WAS BECAUSE HEARTLAND WAS EATING AWAY AT WHAT HE THOUGHT WAS HIS MARKET SHARE. It appears I was right. As previously stated NUWA did not adjust to the market and blamed everyone else for thier business decisions.

jbeletti

Hey gang,

Your NuWa comments may be right on the mark, but I'd like to see us take the high-road here on this forum with regard to other manufacturers failing. And yes, even to those who have had nothing favorable to say about Heartland. Thanks gang :)

Jim

DougLynne

retired Alberta Chapter Leaders
Well said Jim, NuWa was our 2nd choice but I liked the Big Horn more and this forum and the Factory input sold us on Heartland. It is a shame to see some of the older companies closing down, our thoughts are with the employees who are out of work.../Doug

pmmjarrett

I commend NuWa for keeping the warranty and service departments open for at least a year. Mike could have taken the easy road and just closed completely and auctioned everything off.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
We have a neighbor in our park with a new Hitchhiker. A very nice looking 5th wheel I might add. Yes it's sad to hear manufacturers dropping out and the storm hasn't ended yet. Let's just all keep our fingers and toes crossed that our Heartland family stays in tact.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Although I agree completely with Creeper on this one...NUWA's CEO is taking shots at other manufacturer's, including Heartland in his final statement...I do commend them for not just slamming the doors shut on owners.

Keeping their warranty and parts portion open and taking care of the customers they made over the years does show they have class in at least one area. Unlike many of the other highend manufacturer's who have gone out of business with no warning and no concern for their customers. Some have even shamelessly continued business in another, more lucrative market, while treating their towable customers like red headed step children...can you say "Teton"...leaving even brand new customers out in the cold!:rolleyes:

It is definitely a shame when any company with a well made product cannot adjust to the market, and adapt to continue to compete in today's market place. Hopefully with Heartland's willingness to look to the future, and ability to read the market's needs, they will come out the other side of this mess as one of the leading manufacturers in the RV Industry. We plan to be right there with them when they do!:)

arisce

Hey gang,

Your NuWa comments may be right on the mark, but I'd like to see us take the high-road here on this forum with regard to other manufacturers failing. And yes, even to those who have had nothing favorable to say about Heartland. Thanks gang :)

Jim

Good point Jim. Think of the workers that are out of a job. The employees are not responsible for the CEO comments. It is always sad when a company fails. We are all hurt somehow. Competition is good and Nuwa made a competitive RV.
Except for the grace of God... that's what I say.

Happy New Year to All. And a Happy and prosperous 2009 to all in the industry-even our competitors.
See you at the rally in Goshen.

Not surprised about NUWA, given the CEO's remarks last year and even viewing their products at shows. They weren't in the game anymore. Heartland has it right..now Jim, please tell the owners, etc. to keep strong on customer service. It is us owners who tell the story and spread the word! Many thanks for your work as well!!

beardedone

Beardedone
I haven't read the CEO comments yet but my feeling in this poor economic market is the fear factor seems to now be feeding on itself. With all the bad news being constantly repeated there is a self destructive climate being generated in that the more that is repeated about a failure, the more some people see impending doom. For some people who planned poorly they have become victims but innocent victims fall prey because of it. I hope that we all rationalize things carefully.

anyways, Happier New Year's to you,

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
Hey gang,

Jim

I prefer the low road myself...but, hey...that's just me.

It don't matter how superior your product is...if you ain't in business...it must not have been THAT good.

snuffy

I've never seen one because there seems to be such a small dealer network, especially in the South. And frankly, I think they were overpriced. With this economy I understand why they are doing what they are doing.

elwaller39

Evans & Lana
I would not count NuWA completly out yet. NuWa still has thier parts factory going yet. If this economy does turn around in 2009, I believe NuWa will be back in buisness again. Maybe at a slower growth than before. They do have a quailty coach. Just my thought.

billd

Sorry to see another manufacturer close their doors. Kudos to them to plan this and keep the warranty intact and the service center going.

azbound

Their problem wasn't quality, they built a very nice 5ver. The way I see it the problem was that they over built the unit , over priced the unit and thier leadership lost site of the market. And I too wouldn't be surprised to see them back in business when the economy turns around. Let's hope they shed the arrogance and are a little more humble.

pmmjarrett

Their problem wasn't quality, they built a very nice 5ver. The way I see it the problem was that they over built the unit , over priced the unit and thier leadership lost site of the market. And I too wouldn't be surprised to see them back in business when the economy turns around. Let's hope they shed the arrogance and are a little more humble.

Nu-Wa and Hitch Hiker names are famous and probably worth quite a bit.

I'd be about willing to bet that they will be bought out just for their name and the Kansas plants liquidated and parts inventory moved to Indiana by one of the big manufacturers before you seen them making fifth wheels again. You would then see them being mass produced and pumped out of Indiana.

For some reason "the Oracle of Omaha", trees and flowing water comes to mind.;)

snuffy

I can't see the need to buy a big name.
I still believe that if you build it good with quality, stand behind it, and sell for a reasonable price, that people will buy it.
The main problem I see in the market is unscrupolus dealers.