North Trail 22fds

Hi everyone, Ive been reading the forum for a while and found a lot of great info.But I have not seen much about the 22fds.We like the floor plan, just wish it was little a bigger.Due to the limits of our daughters Excursion (gtw 6100lbs.) and the fact that we will tow with it when the grand kids go along and I wanted to stay under 30 ft. total we hope this will work.I've got a Quote of just over $?? k. out the door w/ Reese dual cam,slide topper,fantastic fan,and prodigy controller, here in So Ca. Sorry for the long first post but I was wondering if anybody else had this trailer and what they thought. Thanks Bob:)

Last edited by a moderator:

seaweaver

Hello BHBob,

I have been reading the posts here for a while, too. We just ordered a 22FDS yesterday :) and hope to pick it up in April or early May. This will be our fourth TT in 10 years (just sold the '05 FR Shamrock 23RS on Craigslist), so we are not rookies. Some things we considered important when we decided on the 22FDS:

• It does not have a Q-size bed taking up half the floorspace 100 percent of the time;
  • The slide gives us much more room for two adults and our two teenage boys to move around;
  • The quality of the Heartland products seems to be superior to everything else we've seen lately;
  • The kitchen area has about 100 percent more counter space than the 23RS;
  • I'm intrigued with the "half-time oven;"
  • Drawers! Who would have thought you could have that many drawers in a 23' TT?
  • Floorspace in the bathroom--you can actually turn completely around with the door closed!
  • My parents have a 2001 (2002?) R-Vision TrailLite with the same floor plan. We have been camping with them for years, and when the weather doesn't cooperate, all six of us can eat and then relax in their TT all evening (Mom always brings a couple TV trays for this).
We are looking forward to our first trip with the 22FDS Memorial Day weekend. I will let you know how it goes!

SeaWeaver

Hey Bob,
I own a 2009 22FDS. This is my 3rd travel trailer and by far probably the best one. It packs a ton of ammenities for its size, weight, etc... I have a wife and 2 boys (4 and 2). Some of my reasons for the 22FDS purchase were the build of the trailer. The manufactoring of these are second to none. I wanted living space above everything else. The floor plan has more that most 2 bedroom campers. My old camper was a 2007 Jayco 31BHS, and really the only thing I lack between the two is my heartland sleeps about 6 instead of the Jayco's 10. Other factors to consider are the towing weight, the Jayco's dry weight was 6900 lbs...that is the GVWR for the 22FDS. It is more aerodynamic. To be honest...we love it. First trip will be the last weekend in March. I installed new pioneer speakers in the interior and maxx air vents so far, but this TT is definately worth the consideration.

Leap of faith

Took the plunge today and put a deposit on a 2009 North Trail 22fds.Just hope the economy turns around and the wife and I don't get laid off.We really look forward to getting out camping this summer.I know the grandkids will really be excited.After three years of looking the search is over.

irvin56

they are nice units

no matter which size you have.
had ours a year. about 35 days camping last year.
it worked out good for us. and quality of our unit is GREAT
a few probems but which RV does not after hauling them all over the place.

Do a good inspection upon picking it up.
and have fun with the new toy

seaweaver

It's almost done!

We got the VIN number last Friday, so our 22FDS is almost ready! :) Today is six weeks to the day that they placed the order at the factory, and that's about what they said it would be. We tell everyone that we are downsizing (the North Trail is shorter than our last one), but the NT is heavier, so we have spent the last several weeks researching and buying a bigger (used) truck. The old TV's lease was up anyway so timing was perfect. All we have left is to get the brake controller installed. I spent yesterday morning reading about all the mods that you all have done -- so MANY talented and creative people here.

Congratulations Bob. I'm sure you'll be happy with your purchase.

Hey jkncjordon,
I see you have the same model.We pick up our trailer this saturday and cant wait.You said you put in the max air vents, I was wondering if there is power available at the front vent.There is a light right next to it but I wonder if the factory leaves a pig tail to tie into.Thanks Bob.

seaweaver

Our new 22FDS is in the driveway! My DH, with my father along for company, drove 2,500 miles in the last five days to pick it up and bring it home. We have reservations at our favorite Estes Park campground next to Rocky Mountain National Park for Memorial Day. We are so excited.

We are very impressed with the quality of the trailer! The tech who gave my husband the walk-through said his next rig will be a Heartland because they are so well built. I admit being very nervous spending so much for something sight unseen, but I think this was a very good decision.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Welcome to the family!

Be sure to visit the NorthTrailers.com, A Heartland supported forum just for North Trailers. Lots of daily posts there.

TT

Congratulation's seaweaver, we also brought ours home yesterday.It was quite an adventure, the trailer had some electrical gremlins that needed to be worked out.But after 4 hours I was finally able to get on the road.The trailer towed nice behind my daughters Excursion even without the weight distributing and sway control.The hard part was getting it in the side yard without damage.I have about 4 inches on either side and we even had to remove the neighborhood mailbox to get it in. Shush dont tell the post office.I think I will be looking at geting a power mover as it is just to tight to do that very many times.

seaweaver

Gremlins!?

Bob -- I read your post to my husband, and he just cringed when I got to the part about the 4-inches to spare on each side! :eek: That would be too close for his comfort.

We are very fortunate to be able to park ours at my in-law's house a mile away, and they have lots of room. It's in our driveway right now, which is a little too sloped for my peace-of-mind, but it is not permanent. We haven't found where the gremlins are hiding yet, but I'm sure they're in there somewhere. It came straight from the factory (it's "made on date" is 4/10/09), so no one has played with any of the systems yet. I gave DH and Dad an 8-page PDI list to go through when they picked it up, but I don't think they did any of it. The only thing they found during the inspection was some bowed trim, and a piece of weather stripping had come loose on the slide. I'm sure we'll find more on Memorial Day weekend!

Well it looks like our first trip won't be until the 20th of June after the grand kid's get out of school.But we are staying busy just trying to get things ready and stocking the trailer with essentials.My two neighbors with fifth wheels both said the cheap part was buying the trailer and boy were they right! Every one enjoy their Memorial Day weekend and thanks to our veterans, past, present, and future. Without them we wouldn't be able to enjoy traveling around this great nation.Bob

seaweaver

We have spent a soggy Memorial Day weekend at Rocky Mountain National Park (a tradition for us), and I guess the good news is the NT doesn't leak anywhere! We have a few minor issues that I will call our dealer about, but all in all our family loves it. Sunday night we had eight adults in for dinner because it was too cold to eat outside. We had five at the dinette (with an extra little folding chair on the outside), and we brought in a plastic folding table and sat three at the sofa. We were cozy but it worked. All the systems seemed to work fine. Good luck with your first trip!

46jeep

Leakey slide

Just got our 22fds last weekend. Slide seems to leak where the cables come down inside the coach. Dealer is going to install a slide topper. Anybody having this problem?

Were heading out this weekend for our maiden voyage, wish us luck.We will have eight of us in the trailer so it is going to be interesting and quite close.Needless to say we will be spending a lot of time outdoors, but that's what camping is all about! We've spent the last month spending a ton of money buying stuff for the trailer and doing some of the mod's I wanted to do.Still have a long list, but we need some money for camping.I cant comment on the leak as it has not rained since we got the trailer and I haven't washed it yet.Good luck 46jeep I hope the dealer get's it fixed for you , and welcome to the North Trail family, Bob.

seaweaver

Good luck and most if all, have fun! We are actually on our summer family vacation right now. We visited the Great Sand Dunes NP today and we'll be at Mesa Verde NP in a couple days. Wow, eight people in the trailer would be quite cozy. We eat outside for every meal except breakfast (you're right, we're camping), but we noticed tonight that no one else around us was doing that. Then we had a campfire that lasted through bonfire stage to s'mores coals to stargazing-friendly ashes and we couldn't believe that there weren't more campers doing the same! Enjoy your camping trip!

Thanks, seaweaver.We bought a folding cot from wally world and bought 5 inch foam to make it the same height as the dinette or the couch giving us extra sleeping room.It will be crowded but only at night.We're like you we sit around the campfire until it's just coals and watch the stars and see if we can see the satellites passing overhead.That's my favorite time because the kids have usually passed out by then and its really quiet if you know what I mean.I've got to get the fishing pole holder and the awning keeper installed tomorrow and then thats it untill we decide what else the trailer is lacking. Enjoy youy vacation, Bob.