Gauges (Monitor style)

beardedone

Beardedone
I am thinking about getting gauges for my 08 Dodge 3500. So far I am leaning towards the digital monitor panel type which include the BD, Edge and similar products. Most of these monitor and display 3 or 4 functions at the same time. Is anyone using these and how do you like them? Also has anyone got one with a automatic code clearing feature? Thanks for the replies. Pictures would be great too!:)

boatdoc

Gerry, I just recieved my Edge Juice w/Att yesterday. I will be installing it in the next few days, weather permiting. I was at the same stage you are and wanted gauges and didn't really need any more power but I thought with all the neat things this unit does and what it would have cost to do guages only I went this route. It does all you say you want PLUS more power if wanted. Check it out. I also bought an Edge refurbed one off Ebay from "Deal Monger" for way less than half of the normal price, just over $300.00. It all looks new plus it's warranty is 90 days, if somethings going to happen it's going to happen first thing out of the box. I buy refurbed stuff all the time and never had a problem, knock on wood.
Good luck

beardedone

Beardedone
Thanks for the reply. My concern in putting on a performance enhancement device on is that if the dealer detects it's use they may very well cancel the warranty. That is why with only 20,000 km on it I want to protect my warranty, consequently I want to be able to prove that I do not have anything on the engine that gives them cause. It sounds like you got a good deal though, especially with the warranty. I am going to take my time deciding and probably check with the dealer to see if they will give their blessing.

boatdoc

One doesn't have to use the power enhancer. Just leave it in the stock mode. It still allows one to see what your engine/tranny is doing going down the road. It will take about an hour to take it off if you need to go to the dealer. If you don't use the power up mode it won't be traced. Granted they can see the pyro in the manifold but a dealer that knows how to find the added power and doesn't see any shouldn't care.

beardedone

Beardedone
That is a good idea Gary, and something I will bear in mind when making my selection. There are so many products out there these days and more on the way for the 6.7, that it is hard to decide what to get unless you talk to everyone you can.

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
All I can say is when I bought my Ford F-250 Super Duty Dual Cab, the first thing I asked was could I enhance the power and performace with Banks or an Edge product. I was immediately told any additions or alterations to the engine would void the warranty and I couldn't hide it from the dealership. Proceed at your own risk.

boatdoc

Larry, That's what's nice about the Edge Juice/Att. You can use all it's options, it has many, but still not use the power enhancement. If the ECM memory shows no added boost or HP spikes on their scanner, how can they scream at you. If one uses their noggin and doesn't take the truck to the Saturday night dragstrip and race the kids, there should not be a problem using one of the programmers/monitors.

Taz Devil

I am currently using the Commander from Quadzilla with no power chip/enhancer. You can monitor 4 different functions at the same time. Then later if you want to install some type of power enhancer you can and you will already have the gauges in place. Check out the dodge cummins web sites. They have alot of info on there and somebody would be able to point you in the right direction.

Kevin

dieselengineer

Charter Member
The commandor is a nice product from Quad. Since the performance module is a completely separate part, as kevin stated you can use only the commandor without the performance module. (dealer friendly) The wiring is mostly just plug together so it is easy to install. The EGT sensor is the hardest since you need to drill and tap the exhaust. I have a commandor in place for the past few years and have really liked the operation. The display is user programmable, so you can have only one, two, three or all four sensors displayed at one time and in the order you like. It records the max/min value, so at the next fuel stop you can see the max values, or min value as in fuel pressure. The best part is you can set alarm values for each sensor so when you hit the value the display will flash the current value in big font. Handy when you are grinding up a long hill and also looking out for 4 wheelers passing on all sides. Nice product. :)

bsummit

Arkansas Chapter Leader-Retired
You can also use the Hypertec programer that plugs into ECM jack under the dash. You re-program the ECM to your choice of 3 different power levels, or you can leave it stock. Changes timing and some other stuff to increase power and improve mileage. You don't leave it pluged in all the time. It clears codes and resets them. When you get ready to go to the dealer, put it back to stock and clear all codes. I don't have one yet, but plan on getting one. I've been told by a couple of guys who have gone back to the dealers after using it and the dealers didn't say anything.

Pulltab

I have an 07 with the 6.7 and wanted the same thing so I bought the Edge Insight because it was just a gage package without the power programer. I was very sad with its performance. :( They had selections of things you could view but no data to back up what it was or what it was for, within a week it started just shutting down while driving and you had to literally turn off the engine and restart it to get it to come back on. I called them and they had me install the latest software to no avail. I finally gave up and sent it back. I'm not saying it is not a good unit and I could have easily gotten a bad make but the data for the screens was useless, I had called tech and asked them about a particular setting pertaining to the dpf and he didnt know and had to go ask someone else, finally had to call me back with the answer. I think they rushed it to the market to beat everyone else and figured they could define the settings later. I hope it is better now. I must say they were good about taking it back and refunded my money right away. They are a great company and I had a positive experience on an edge with att on a duramax.

boatdoc

I bought the Max Energy from Hypertech and had it about a week. I never installed it because after finding out what the gauges I wanted would cost on top of the Max Energy I 'd have more into both than just going with the Edge Juice w/Att. Then found the great deal on the Edge and will be installing it shortly.
I have read the Hypertech ECON and Max Energy work well with the Cummins. If you're going to use the rig for just towing there's no reason to go with the Max as they say don't use over Power number two on them for towing. The Econ just has two settings.
One has to remember on any power enhancement you have to control your right foot and not get caught up with the extra power. If you drive like you did before the extra power you should see about 2-4 MPG better but if you get on it a lot your going to lose MPG bigtime. Have fun!!!

Cutlers

You could do what I did....Autometer digital EGT and boost gauges in a pillar mount....no need for more juice.....:)