05chev vs 08 dodge

aatauses

We are in the process of dealing on a 3670. We thought we had a deal on a 2008 Dodge 3500 duel, however a chev dealer just called and says he has a great deal on a 2005 chev 3500 duel. Does anyone have a 2005 chev? Do you have any issues with it? Since this is used what should we look for prior to making an offer?

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I'll be the 1st Chevy owner to jump in on this. I have an 04 Chev 3500. 1st I assume they're both diesel? The 05 Chev has upgraded injection system compared to the 04 so that's a plus. Allison Trans, big plus. It's quieter, has more rear seat room (if it's needed for hauling friends or kid or grand kids around after you get set up and head out for whatever). I think the Chevy is quieter inside. Ive only driven a Dodge without a trailer and it was a 3/4 ton. On the plus side, it had a tighter turning radius. For me, a fairly big guy, I have more room in the Chevy. I think fuel mileage is comparable. The Dodge may have some factory warranty left, I don't know on the Chev. I must say, I'm a Chevy man and the Duramax/Allison is a heck of a set-up. The Cummins is good too but if I had to put together a truck, it would have a cummins/allison on a chevy frame and body. I don't think you can go wrong either way.

jnbhobe

aatauses; I don't have either unit . That said is the dodge a quad cab or a maxi cab ? How many miles on the chevy ? How long are you planning on keeping the truck ? How much $$$$$$ do you want to spend ? New dodges finally have a good tranny so they say . Warranty on the chevy 5yr 100,000mi motor nothing left on the rest of the truck,without buying an extended warranty. You didn't say if the dodge is new or used , its 3yr 36,000mi on the whole truck 100,000mi on the motor.. They are both good trucks (thats coming from a diehard FORD guy) To me its all about $$$$$$$$$$$$$ JON ;) :D ;)

bill40

I have a 05 with 60000 on it. We have not had any problems at all. ours has the heated power seats so you can get just about any position you want. We pull a 3500RL and don't know its back there. Great pulling truck above 6000 ft. MPG are pretty good for something this big both empty and loaded. As Ray said a little quieter on the inside. All three brands have somethig to offer and will do the job. But I'm a Chevy guy too. Good Luck Bill

ct0218

I have an 03 GMC dually with 135K on it, no problems except GM replaced the injectors at 110K (under warranty). As stated, the injector problems were 01 to 04.5, so no problem with the later models. My next truck will be the same. The Duramax/Allison combo is great.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
We have a 05 with the LLY engine. Love the truck, pulls like a Peterbilt. Very quiet even pulling hard, only noise you here is the turbo spooling up. The tow/haul mode is like having a jake brake. Good brakes, handling and ride. Guess Im jaded but love my Chebby. Bob:D

Duramax has been known to have injector problems..and it's a V8. The Cummins inline 6 has fewer moving parts and is very powerful. If I was pulling a 3670, I would want mega power. A friend of mine who is a diesel expert told me "put as much warranty on 'er as you can because you can't afford to fix'em!" So..should you buy new or used? We bought new for the above reason! While my experience with Chevy is that they are a bit more comfortable to ride in..I personally don't like all of that hood out in front of me. The Dodge design looks and feels better for me. Good luck!

Tankie

aatauses, the 6.7 Dodge has an exhaust brake, a big plus on down grades. I also tow a 3670, I hardly use my brakes. Just put trany in tow/haul and hit the exhaust brake it controls my speed very well. I for one will never do without one again. Hope this helps good luck!

boatdoc

I'm an old Ford guy but after some probs with the 04 and 06 I finally had enough and went Cummins. It's like night and day diff. Not saying the Fords were bad but the power curve is just WAY diff. Just a short pull so far with the Dodge but come next week we're off to Blythe, 1000 miles. I guess I'll know more then. So far we LIKE the Dodge.

ct0218

The GM injector problems were 01 thru 04.5, the LB7 and LLY motors. The 05 and up are OK.