Any problem with the number of dogs?

lakerats

we have 3 yorkshire terriers that we would like to travel with. They are small their total weight is 9 lbs! They are very good and quiet. My question is: has anyone had issues with park management at all? Or issues with neighbors?

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We travel with 2 dogs (a Yorkie and an Eskie) and have had no problems. Most parks will allow 2 dogs and some put a limit on number and/or type of dogs. As long as they do not disrupt and you pick up after them you shouldn't have a problem. Maybe some others might offer advise on this too. Remember, ignorance is bliss.

jbeletti

Hi Lakerats and welcome to the forum.

We travel with 2 Yorkies - 9 pounds each! I am unsure if there is a limit to the number of dogs but with 3 Yorkies at an average of 3 pounds each, I'd use the "don't ask don't tell" plan. Who's gonna be mad when they see 3 little peanut dogs being walked? :D

Home to meet you and the fur kids.

By the way, we have a Heartland Owners Club Chapter near you. The North Texas (DFW area) chapter. They have yet to set an '09 rally but I am sure they plan to.

In the mean time, 263 miles south of you in Spring, TX will be our Spring Houston Rally the first weekend of April. You should consider making a reservation. Rallies are fun times.

Jim

jmgratz

By the way, we would welcome you and your 3 Yorkies at the Spring, Texas Heartland Rally in April.

Last edited:

flamingknitter

I don't have a dog but my brother-in-law and his wife travel with their 3.5 lb Yorkie where ever they go. They found a place on line that certifies pets to be "service dogs" which eliminates any argument about pets or no pets. You have to allow service dogs. There was a questionnaire about what your services your dog provides - I think theirs goes to convalescent hospitals and she is generally just a good ambassador of good cheer. (Ask Jim B - he got to meet Maggie May in October at the Central California Rally). Anyway, they answered the questions, paid $250 for the certificate, bought the vest and sewed the patch on and voila - Maggie May is a service dog. This might help- offset at least one of your dogs, or maybe all of them.

jbeletti

Good idea for others Marybeth.

Thought of that for myself at one point too but one of my Yorkies (Emme) is too hyper and the other one (Ruby), while docile, just may nip at someone's grandchildren on a visit :eek:

Yes - I met Maggie May and can vouch for yet another cool dog! I love meeting Heartland Owner's pets and have a special fondness for Yorkies :)

Jim

jmgratz

We call Yorkie's (and other small dogs) RV dogs because so many RVers have Yorkies.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I don't have dogs, but having experienced some people's kids at campgrounds (and their bonehead parents), I'd prefer to be near your 3 dogs.

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
I don't have a dog but my brother-in-law and his wife travel with their 3.5 lb Yorkie where ever they go. They found a place on line that certifies pets to be "service dogs" which eliminates any argument about pets or no pets. You have to allow service dogs. There was a questionnaire about what your services your dog provides - I think theirs goes to convalescent hospitals and she is generally just a good ambassador of good cheer. (Ask Jim B - he got to meet Maggie May in October at the Central California Rally). Anyway, they answered the questions, paid $250 for the certificate, bought the vest and sewed the patch on and voila - Maggie May is a service dog. This might help- offset at least one of your dogs, or maybe all of them.

It all depends on where you are staying. In the places where they have seasonal campers....there is a lot of concern about yappy dogs...and large dogs. Those 3.5 pound yorkies would have to have a certificate from a certified scale that they in fact weighed 3.5 pounds. My pommie weighed 4 pounds and the people I talked to on the phone would not believe any pommie was that small. I'm serious about this one...dead serious.

As for the service dog dodge...you might want to check into that one a little further. There are exceptions. http://www.assistancedogsinternational.org/guidetodoglaws.php

Last edited:

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I think most people, if they are anything like me, are more tolerable of the dogs than some of the owners. My #1 issue is people not picking up after their dogs. My second peeve is people that can't keep their dogs reasonably quiet. I can understand a dog barking when you walk by the rig but if your sitting outside and your dog is barking for no apparent reason, that tee's me off a bit. We have been traveling with Suzi for almost 3 years, She barks when someone knocks on the door and we tell her to stop, she does. I carry bags to pick up after her and use them. OK, nuff said.

WYWendinger

Other than calling ahead and asking what pet restrictions there are, if you do have 3 almost identical dogs - I don't know that anyone would notice if you took 3 walks with a doggie. Mindful that only you would know that you are taking 3 different dogs for a walk. haha. I'd love that, I'd prob think you just liked to walk and I think everyone would be more mindful to look for your doggie poopie bag!

Yes, please check into service dog certification. I worked for a homeowner association that had restrictions on pets, in this case it was dogs, and the person went to court over it and because he was a diagnosed by his doctor as depressed, and the dog "improved" his mood, the doctor signed off that it was a benefitial treatment in addition to the guy's drug treatment. The guy won, by the way.

nhunter

This whole service dog thing sure sounds like it is being abused to me. Yes pets help people with many things, but that is a bit much. I can't believe that there isn't a higher standard to become a "service dog". We take our 80lb lab everywhere and have never had a problem.

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
I've seen advertised restrictions on dogs. They have been things like limiting the number of dogs (usually 2), limits on the types of dogs (no aggressive breeds) and deposits required or extra dollars added to the space rental per dog.

Until recently, we had three dogs (2 mini Dachshunds and a Pembroke Welsh Corgi), we just lost one of our doxies the week before Christmas. We didn't have any problems with places really limiting us to two dogs because ours are small. We haven't actually stayed in one of the places requiring a deposit or extra fee, but they would probably really charge you.

I don't think Yorkies would be considered an aggressive breed, but I'm sure they are like most small dogs, and terriers in particular. Don't underestimate their ability to believe they are huge aggressive dogs. They, like ours, probably think they are as tough as a 100lb Akita! :D:D:D

Kristy

Tom of Ypsi

Just don't do like a couple we saw do. They showed up at the cg put up a round dog pen let out two big labs and their 10 6 week old pups. They then put up a for sale sign sat back and proceeded to party. Park owners had no idea until that evening when someone complained about the noise. The couple was shown the front gate the next morning after a lot of fuss and left a mess, dog doo and trash all over. This whole operation was in a pop up. Whew!!!!!

PUG

Pug
We travel with two of our little kids and have run into a couple of campgrounds that don't accept dogs so they don't need my business either. Most do accept and welcome the dogs. We have found that people have been very good about cleaning up after their pets and the campgrounds provide doggie baggies. Tell them you have a couple of dogs and don't worry about the third.

lakerats

Thanks for all the info... We are meticulous about cleaning up our dogs at home I'd have NO problem picking up after them at a campground. They have been raised around goldens and know that they are small (which is good for us!). We've actually stayed at locations where we've walked them one at a time just so people would leave us alone more... They do tend to draw attention, our smallest is 2.5 with the next being 3.2 and the third being the "big boy" so we try to be subtle so we can enjoy ourselves instead of being the center of attention.

Thanks everyone for your input on this!

Warnerelli

Semper Fi
I would hate to choose between rving and my boxers -- but the boxers stay.

These post's come as a bit of a surprise to me. I am referring to numbers of pets, size, etc. Never crossed my mind when my wife and I decided to become regulars on the RV circuit. While we are relatively new to new day rving. We did camp a bit in the day. We recently purchased a Cyclone 3912 because of its ability haul our Harley and because it would, a good fit with our boxers.

Our boxers are great pets and companions that behave, love people and are part of our family. Having said this, they weigh 65 to 70 pounds each and we have never had any complaints or appearance of attitudes about our boxers.

It never crossed my mind that parks would put limits on pets and it does make sense, as I know there are those who don’t use good common sense and let their pets do as they please. These posts do remind me that, as in any neighborhood, their are those who may not be too fond of animals.

However, it has been our experience when we set up in parks that a whole lot of others have pets also. If I had to make a bet, I would have to wager pet haulers outnumber the non-pet haulers by a good number.

Having said all this, if it were to ever come to a choice of our rig or our boxers. . . the rig would be gone in a heartbeat, with little time for pause.

NWTFHunter

Past Missouri Chapter Leaders
Number of dogs in MO. State Parks

We have hosted in Missouri State Parks several times. There is a regulation on not having more than 2 dogs. There is a process to get approval for more, I do not recall excatly what it takes but they do keep a list of those with permission to have more than 2 with them. As always some parks enforce more than others. Have heard stories of kids being attacked by dogs in parks so those are the ones that probably enforce more than others.

Triber

We travel with a 90 pound Yellow Lab. He is very gentle and very quiet and loves everyone. There are a few parks that have size restrictions and some that have breed restrictions and quantity restrictions. Most of the RV Guidebooks will give you this information in the Park's listing information.

I have phoned ahead to the park if I was in any doubt. Invariably, when I told the park manager I had a Yellow Lab, they said that he was welcome. They didn't want Pit Bulls, Dobies or aggressive breeds.

Unfortunately, it is the same old story: a few irresponsible pet owners spoil it for everyone else. I don't know why some pet owners think that their dog's poop is not their responsibility! I never go anywhere without cleanup bags and I always scoop up after him. Still, I have been in parks and watched dog owners walk their dogs to the boulevard just outside the park, watch him leave a big pile and leave it there! Technically they didn't let their pet poop in the park but it is still a problem.

there is no excuse for a dog to bark incessantly whether they are large or small. Dogs can be trained and if an owner doesn't want to take the time to train their pet properly, they shouldn't own one. If someone comes to your unit, it is normal for a dog to bark. They are letting you know that someone is here. On the other hand, they shouldn't continue barking for 15 minutes after the person has been identified.

There are dogs in the area where we are right now that bark and bark for extended periods when someone walks by on the road. This should not be permitted. AS a dog owner, it is a good idea to remember that not everyone is a dog lover and in fact, some people are afraid of them.

Most RV Parks are pet friendly as long as you follow their rules. If you are in any doubt, phone before you book.