Cars we use to drive 50s-60s

Hunter

Newby
Wow ... brought back memories of my 56 Ford that I bought from my dad. Now that was a car. (grin)

jnbhobe

Boy does that make you think of the GOOD OLD DAYS !!! Great post Just to have some of them cars back. JON:D:D:D

Clint

I think I share everyone elses sentiment on this ..... it brings back a lot of good memories, that are priceless.

Netem

My first car was a 55 Chevy, $170 bucks and had to tow it home needed a trans.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
When I was in High School in Midwest Wyoming, I had a 1951 Mercury. Light green and dark green two tone. Full length finder skirts, spinner hub caps, sun visor. I wanted to add lakers, tuck and roll the interior but I didn't have the money. I wasn't much of a mechanic so some guys helped me a little in shop class. Do any of you remember taking a string and hanging all the buttons and things above the windshield on the inside.

I also had a 1934 Dodge. Drove it out through the oil fields where I lived.

They don't make cars like that any more. My cousin took a 52 chevy. Frenched the head lights, removed the door and trunk handles. Tuck and rolled the interior, then painted it Oriental Blue, about 10 coats. Rebuilt the flathead 6. Only problem he kept snapping axles.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Irvin, really made me happy and sad. I had a 57 Olds super 88 2D hard top with the J2 motor. Man would it fly. And it was lowered, bellflower exhaust tips, smitty glass packs, chrome reverse wheels, caddy metal flake paint and a B&N album player. Sure wish I had it back. Great memories and times. Bob:D

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Well seeins how it was brought up, While I was stationed in Scotland, I had a 69 TR6 in British Racing Green. Right hand steering and Lucas Fuel injection. I could have brought it back to the states but Uncle Sam made it to inconvenient at the time. Also had a Mini Cooper S for a short time. Ya shoulda seen me get into that. :)

dieselengineer

Charter Member
The old triumph is a joy to drive, with the top down running down the road. The sound of the exhaust with the dual up swing tips is music to my ears. Which is good since the old AM radio is not worth much. :)

Ray & Diesel There is nothing more fun then a British sports car. My first new car was a 66 Morgan 4/4. Put 80,000 miles in 4 years on it, coulden't keep out of it. Don't have it anymore someone stole it in 71. I found it in 99, It's in St. Paul Min. I never could afford to replace it, what cost 2,500 new was 35,000 in the late 70's

truknutt

Committed Member
Italian is the way to go....or was!!!

First two cars I ever owned were purchased for $500 each from other GIs rotating out of country and in dire need of cash!!

1) 1971 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint GT Junior 1300cc
2) 1971 Fiat (Fix It At Tony's) 124 Family Wagon 1200cc

The Fiat became my future, and present, bride's ride in '81.

Loved those cars, or is the memories associated with them!!

3) I also owned a NSU Prinz 4 for a bit or should I say on a bet!! It had a 2 cylinder 650cc that may have been good on fuel but couldn't pass a donkey cart!! Ol' Sarge was late for duty one to many times with this thing and she/he/it was gone!

Attachments

• Alfa_Romeo_Giulia_Sprint_GT_1300_Junior.jpg
    Alfa_Romeo_Giulia_Sprint_GT_1300_Junior.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 12
  • Fiat 124.jpg
    Fiat 124.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 12
  • NSU Prinz 4.jpg
    NSU Prinz 4.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 14

Smokeyfl

First car was a '49 Plymouth 3 on the tree. Moved up to a 56 Dodge with a push button auto trans then a 56 chev convertible w/ 327 / 365 fuelie heads - 4 on the floor.
John

snuffy

I didn't have my own car until I graduated in '69. Bought a '63 Pontiac Star Chief 2dr ht, light green with a white top for $895.

Netem

Anybody watched Barret Jackson on the speed channel? We would all be very wealthy if we had kept all those old cars.