Now, this one was worth the cost

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
Veterans...This one was worth the visit

I stumbled on this site by accident. I don't camp at military campgrounds. Not eligible and all that...well, according to Army Regulation 215–1, available at the link below, I am eligible for that and a whole lot more. You may or may not be eligible. But, depending on your circumstances, you may be surprised at what you can use on military bases. There are just too many variables for a hard answer. You need to check this site and find out about it.

The gentleman responsible for the site has gone to considerable trouble to run down and post current regulations for all services regarding NAF facility usage by non-AD personnel. NCO clubs, Gyms, autoshop, fishing/camping activities. Simply tons of stuff. Heck, I can even use Birch Hill Ski Lodge again...as well as Birch and Quartz Lakes outside of Fairbanks. Yeah, my one legged fanny up on Birch Hill...man, talk about entertainment!:p

Just about every facility you used while you played soldier may be available again.

http://www.militarycampgrounds.us

It was worth the trip for me.

jonesj2

The problem is with the new regulations and Homeland Security you have to have a valid ID card to gain access into most installations.

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
The problem is with the new regulations and Homeland Security you have to have a valid ID card to gain access into most installations.

That's what the link is for...if you qualify for access, you also qualify for an ID card. Lottsa information there.

azbound

Don't forget if you plan on driving on to a military base you will need a current proof of insurance.

PacMan4x4

LEFTY....that was a great find. As I can access military installations, this info will be helpful in finding future camp sites.....thanks.

Pac Man

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
Just for you PacMan4!

Here is some updated information for Milcamps nationwide.

Here is a blatant advertisement for the Militarycampgrounds.org site. So, sue me.The guy has killed himself getting this information together. It's updated almost daily and lists all the campgrounds, rates, just about anything your OD Green Little Heart could want to know about military campgrounds along your route. Many military posts are now allowing civilians to camp there at reduced rates..and I can't think of a place more safe to sleep!

Military or Not You Need to check this place out!

You can get a free 7 day trial copy of his milcamp software.Buying the non-trial version was the best $16 or $17 I have ever spent. He's not making much on this stuff...he's more interested in servicing retired military than he is making money. You can download the Trial Software Here.

And, you can get Tons of free software here. POI for Garmin and other GPS devices. He has other formats available for download.

And, he's put this up...Map of Military Campgrounds -- is this cool or what?

Here's a copy of Army Regulation 215–1 If you want to know what access Active Duty retired, 100% Disabled Vets, AD/Retired DOD Civilians, visiting foreign diplomats/military and sometimes local dignitaries/residents this is the place for you. This thing was updated in 2008 and is the bible for Non-Appropriated Fund Activities. I bet the military would not mind having a rally at one of their Milcamps. Man of them are not even located on post anymore. Once I get my new ID Card, I'm gonna check out the new camp at NAS Oceana.

I just found out, last month, that having a 100% not only gives me a pretty good income..but, it also restores almost every benefit that I lost by taking that sole parenthood discharge in 1979. Talk about raising my morale! There I was...sitting at the NCO Club when this rocket came flying in from left field..(sorry, flashback moment there)...I would have never found out about it if I hadn't stumbled on this site.

Last edited:

PacMan4x4

Thanks LEFTY

LEFTY.....thanks again for the info. As I'm still AD mil, I can use some of this info that you are finding. Definitely cheaper rates for camping...I'm heading to Barksdale AFB next weekend and spending a couple of days in their FAM Camp for $14/night with hookups which is more than half of cost for campground off base.

Pac Man

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
LEFTY.....thanks again for the info. As I'm still AD mil, I can use some of this info that you are finding. Definitely cheaper rates for camping...I'm heading to Barksdale AFB next weekend and spending a couple of days in their FAM Camp for $14/night with hookups which is more than half of cost for campground off base.

Pac Man

Wave at the B-52's for me. They used to to NAP about 5 feet off the water in the Gulf...

Buy the CD, it's worth it, especially for AD personnel. Contact names and numbers and gps locations are provided.

Glad it helped.