Rubber roof spots

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
Got up and gave the rubber roof a good cleaning with Spic 'n Span. Lots of dark spots remain. Anyone have a good method of cleaning these so it looks close to new again?

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Good luck, I have scrubbed until I have blisters on my fingers to no avail.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
CD, same here, I cant see them from the ground. Maybe its heavy glue spots that seeped through. Bob:D

Dragoon

The dark spots may be mildew. If so, you won't get them off. My last rig acquired them, and were still there when we traded it in. Cleaned it two to three times a year with various cleaners recommended for rubber roofs, nothing worked. Good luck...

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Like the others, I can't get those spots off. My main roof is pretty good but I have quite a few spots on the LR/Dinette slide. I wonder if bleach would be safe enough to try???

Dragoon

Be very, very careful about using bleach. Check with the rubber roof manufacturer before using it. It may break down the rubber.

jbeletti

Not sure what brand EPDM we use these days but this info is from Alpha Systems:

Royal Roof<sup>[SIZE=-1]TM[/SIZE]</sup> Solves the Problems of Metal Roofing
Alpha Systems introduced ethylene propylene dien monomer (EPDM) roofing to the RV industry in 1987. It soon became the first choice by manufacturers as an attractive, lightweight, rust-free, leak-eliminating alternative to traditional metal roofing. Today, Royal Roof from Alpha Systems is the only brand you need to know - it's the undisputed leader in dependable roof systems.
Royal Roof EPDM rubber sheet gives you:

• Excellent UV protection
  • Pliable, long-lasting performance
  • Easy cleaning with ordinary household products
  • Easy maintenance and repair, if ever necessary
Alpha Systems also manufactures the roofing adhesives and sealants to fit your specific production and manufacturing requirements.
Cleaning and Maintenance of Alpha Systems Royal Roof EPDM Rubber Sheet
Proper care and maintenance of the recreational vehicle, including the Royal Roof, is important for trouble-free performance. Normal maintenance is simple, easy and requires no special materials.
Periodic cleaning three or four times a year is the primary maintenance required. Alpha Systems suggests using a household cleaner such as Top Job®, Spic-N-Span®, or Ajax® Cleanser. Granulated cleaning products perform better for cleaning EPDM. Since the surface is not smooth like fiberglass, a medium bristle scrub brush should be used instead of a sponge. The rubber membrane requires scrubbing much like a white-wall tire does. For tougher stains, like those from oak leaves or pine sap, use kitchen cleanser with bleach. ** Extra precautions need to be taken to control runoff onto sidewalls when using products containing bleach.
After cleaning, rinse the roof and sidewalls of the RV completely to remove any soap residue and to prevent streaking.
Quarterly inspection of the roof is highly recommended. Check the membrane for possible damage and check the caulk/lap sealant used in all termination areas and around all accessories and fasteners.
Alpha Systems Royal Roof EPDM is quite inert and will dependably resist weathering. It can, however, be cut or punctured by sharp objects. If damage does occur, the Royal Roof membrane can be easily patched. Use caution when placing any articles on the roof and exercise extreme care and caution when working on top of your vehicle. The Royal Roof may become slippery when wet, so remember to exercise extreme caution when cleaning the rubber membrane.
EPDM rubber does not require periodic application of any product to protect it from UV light or ozone. Such products can often damage the EPDM membrane. Protect-All® Roof Treatment for EPDM rubber roofs, 303® Protectant for EPDM rubber roofs, or other products compatible with EPDM rubber roofing may be safely used. If you have any questions about these products, please call Alpha Systems Customer Service at (phone number) for assistance.
! DO NOT USE ACETONE OR ANY PRODUCTS CONTAINING PETROLEUM DISTILLATES ON THE ROYAL ROOF !

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
Thanks to all for your prompt answers. I had hesitated to use Protect All as I could not find any listing of contents and was aware of not using petroleum distillates, and was not sure if Protect All did have these in it. Now that I see that it is recommended, I think I will go ahead with it and the conditioner as a second step.

My "clean" roof looks like the picture in the Protect All ad, only where the fellow is standing on, and not the section that he has just cleaned. I'll give it another cleaning.

Netem

I have used the Ajax cleaner and a brush and it does take alot off that the spic n span wouldn't touch. It did nothing for the stains running from the AC though.