Black Water Flush Water Leaking In Bathroom

wfwilson

Founding Canadian Region Director - Retired
Hi
Once again HELP HELP HELP!!!!!. I went to drain my tanks today no problems and then flush the black Water Tank. After a couple of minutes I noticed the water dripping like crazy under the trailer on the curbe side under the bathroom. I shut the flush off and went in the trailer the bathroom floor was running with water it was running into the bedroom and down the furnace vents. IT leaked through the wall and just inside the entry door the floor was covered with water.
Help any ideas? Do I access the toilet plumbing from the basement wall on the curb side? I have Central Vac there does everyghint nave to be disconnected.? it possible a connections has become loose? When you flush the tank why would water leak in the bathroom from under the toilet.
Note I noticed at the end of last year the flush was not working making a noise like usual but I had no water leaks?
Any assistance would be helpful?
I am in Benson AZ it is small any short on RV Repair places.
Thanks again
Wayne

regan

Regan
Wayne - is your black tank showing full? If it is, I bet you have a plug in the drain line, perhaps toilet paper etc. When you use the tank flush it is overfilling the tank. I have a clear elbow so I can make sure that the black tank is draining properly, and also to know when it is flushed clean.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Behind the outer wall, inside the coat closet beside the front door, there is some type of valve for the black water flush. If I remember correctly it's called an "anti-siphon" valve. Might be wrong about that...sure someone more knowledgeable will chime in soon.

However, that is most likely where it is leaking when you flush the tank. Some people have opened a hole inside the closet to expose the valve and replace it. They then have fashioned an access panel over the hole to allow later access if needed...check prior threads and you should find the fix others have done. Good Luck!!

NWTFHunter

Past Missouri Chapter Leaders
Black tank flush leak

I had a leak when flushing my black tank last year. The water line for the flush runs up in the wall behind the toilet, an anti-syphon valve in the line needs to be above floor level. We did not have water on the floor but it did run down inside the wall. Be aware that your charger is probably very close to getting water on it. Not a good idea!!! You can pull off the panel in storage area to access this area. I was also able to take off the fire extinguisher and the panel that holds it to see into this area. Any RV service facility should be able to fix this. Good luck.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Wayne, I wish I was in Arizona. How ya doin? Well I think several people have had a problem with the same symptoms as you. There is an anti-siphon type valve up in the wall somewhere in the area next to you toilet room. People have found loose fittings (pex) and bad valves. You can access the area behind you central vac pretty easy. You may have to start by removing the black panel on the off door side before you can take the one off on the door side. I have had mine apart more than once. You will not be able to get at the valve but as a temporary fix you might be able to cut the two lines that go up the wall and splice them together. Fixing that tubing requires a special tool. I would opt for the temporary splice till I could get to my dealer. But remember the the valve is there for a reason so use caution when rinsing your tank.
Peace
Dave

wfwilson

Thanks. Everyone.I have a clear elbow and the line is not plugged the tank drained ok. Now on my monitor panel it shows battry good but not charging. Does this mean my converter has been wet?
Wayne

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
When this happened to us, the valve was found to have been put in backwards. Dealer fixed it right up, but that doesn't help you much where you are. Good luck getting in there and getting it fixed.

NWTFHunter

Past Missouri Chapter Leaders
Water and charger

When I had a problem with the anti-siphon valve I found some water on the floor around my charger but have not had a problem with it. It might be a good idea to elevate these chargers an inch or two off the floor. Would be easy to do and may save some problems from water. A better idea would be not put them under the toilet and around water lines. Leaking lines can always spray or drip on things around them.

wfwilson

Thanks again everyone. Well the water leak fried my converter. I had to have it changed today. When the new one was installed we mounted in on 1x2 so it is now up off the floor but it is still under the water facilities. The mobile repair man agreed the water probably came from the valve. So I have to Cut through the wall in the entry closet. Before I do does anyone know the exact location of the valve so we can do as neat a job as possible and not have a major hole in the closet.
Maybe I should ask the factory so the could tell me the location before we cut. With all the problems this 3400rl has had it is starting and just starting to shake my faith in the quality of the product. I certainly agree with statement above why would electrical wires etc be placed directly under the water equipment.
Thanks again
Wayne

Retyred

Wayne:
On my 06 Grand Canyon the closet panel is removable. Just removed the coat hooks and a few screws and the panel comes off. My unit is in storage so I can not tell you exactly how high the valve is. Did you remember to winterize the line? Could that be the problem?

Retyred

wfwilson

Retyred
Did not work on my the panel is stapled from the other side. I removed moldings and knocked the panel back.
I removed the fire extingiser and there are two waterlines going up in the right wall of the closet. SO at least now I have an idea where to go.
Thanks
Wayne

This happened to me after a couple of months of use. The rig was still under warranty so the dealer did the repair. It happened later to a friend of mine with another BH (different model). Once again, the same dealer did the fix. Our dealer's service dept said that this is a common problem. I suspect that they did away with (bypassed) the line that rises above floor level and routed the water straight to the black tank. Because of the possibility that the anti-siphon has meen disabled I do not leave a water hose connected to the tank wash-out hook-up. 'No problems at all with this arrangement. I thought about installing an in-line check valve, but may not be necessary as long as I keep the hose unhooked.

ChopperBill

This happened to me after a couple of months of use. The rig was still under warranty so the dealer did the repair. It happened later to a friend of mine with another BH (different model). Once again, the same dealer did the fix. Our dealer's service dept said that this is a common problem. I suspect that they did away with (bypassed) the line that rises above floor level and routed the water straight to the black tank. Because of the possibility that the anti-siphon has meen disabled I do not leave a water hose connected to the tank wash-out hook-up. 'No problems at all with this arrangement. I thought about installing an in-line check valve, but may not be necessary as long as I keep the hose unhooked.
That is what I will do if this ever happens to me. Those anti-siphon valves seem to be a PITA!

Jimmyt5

My black flush check valve has done just like all of you guys. I have removed the power panel, fire extinguisher, the box in the bathroom over the john and the back panel in the closet will not come out,no luck.

Has anyone figured out how to get at the check valve yet?

lhetsler

Charger/converter water caution

Some months ago after reading these posts I went into the basement and unscrewed the converter and put some 1x2's down to raise it off the floor. I also made a roof for the converter out of some sheet aluminum double thickness. Made the roof overlap about two inches all the way around, put four little dabs of construction glue to hold the roof in place and the roof is slanted downward on all four sides. So I hope if I ever have a leak this roof will guide the water away from the converter. I have never had a water problem. I have had my rig for about a year. 3670 bighorn. I absolutely love this unit. I am currently getting ready for a trip and was washing out the sink and noticed the drain insert spinning freely. When I checked it the drain nuts were completely loose, but they did not leak. I am going over all the drains in kitchen, bath and shower to make sure drains are tight, also I check water lines where they fasten to faucets. These things can loosen during travel. It is a pain, but part of the cost of a house on wheels.

soilmovers

My husband called to report water on the bathroom floor and leaking out after flushing the tank. The RV is on the job site with no option to take it in for repairs.

Thank goodness for this forum! I am assuming it is the anti syphon valve mentioned in several responses.
My question is, can I make the repair myself? If I buy the valve what size is it? Any information is appreciated. I am at home but will fix it when I get back to the job later this week.

thanks!
Cindy

soilmovers

Update

A BIG thank you to Jimmyt 5! He was so kind to send me a detailed email along with pictures! I am gathering the parts needed and hope to have it fixed in no time.

Thank you again, Jim.

Cindy Jones

Last edited: