Mounting Tie Downs in the Garage

kuldaddy

Since there is not a forum specifically covering the Garage, I am putting this here, Jim please correct if it fits better elsewhere.

The dealer did not mount the tie downs for the Garage, which is fine however, I would like to know the best size/length of screw to use. I am not sure the thickness or type of wood/rubber that I am screwing into. I also have a wheel stop for my Motorcycle which I need to mount between the tie downs.

Thanks,
Eric

2 Cats

Kuldaddy, Did you make The Race? how was it? did you ever get a answer about the tie down rails if so I could use some info. on how & were you installed them. I'm thinking about only mounting two of the three. Then the center if I need too but then I would have to haul my bike off center.
Thanks Rob

kuldaddy

The dealer said to use #12 stainless, however, he did not say how long. I saw a thread on RV.net that said he used 1" screws. I was going to mount the outside ones about 6" from the wall and then the one down the center. I do not think you will have any problems with your bike being off center, I don't think you will even notice. Anyway, I want to be able to use the other side for the kid's bikes and other stuff (we are thinking about getting a golf cart).

T

tgboyd

Mounting Tie downs

I used Deck Mate screws with Evercote (purchased at Home Depot) which have a lifetime guaranty not to rust. I used #7 x 1 5/8" Phillips Square-Driv screws as you have to penetrate the mat before you get to the wood. The dealer said you would have to use real long screws before you would ever reach the fuel tank. Just to be clear the length was 1 5/8 inch and the size was 7. These fit the Kinedyne rails perfectly.

ToyHauler

Rail Configuration for Dirt Bikes

So I am ready to mount the rails in the garage of my Cyclone and am looking for experiences others have had. Read what is in this post and am having difficulty finding out much more.

I'm thinking the most versatility for dirt bikes would be to run the three rails across the width of the garage. Using four point mounting, I could max out at 7 bikes; four in one row and three staggered in the second row. Not that I have a need to carry 7 bikes yet but....

Has anyone using screws had any problems with them pulling out? My dealer said I should use bolts with fender washers on the underside. I sure would prefer not to have to drill through and try and put fender washers and nuts on the underside.

What do you all think?

kuldaddy

I changed from the 1" #12 screws to 1-1/2" #12 screws.

I actually had the 1" screws pull out when the emergency brake on my golf cart was released by the seat when I made a quick stop. I think the 1" screws were just not long enough to go through the rail and the rubber diamond plate and still get a good bite on the wood decking beneath.

I have put quite a few miles on mine carrying the golf cart and a Victory Kingpin motorcycle and have not have any problem with using the wood screws. Your dirt bikes will be quite a bit lighter that either of these vehicles.

Hope this helps!!

T

tgboyd

Mounting Tie Down Rails

Toyhauler,

You might want to check out my post up above regarding the screws I used and I haul a 1200 pound Kawasaki Mule. They fit perfectly for the Kinedyne rails, if that is what you are using. I made that post for Kuldaddy's benefit because I thought he was using too short of a screw and as it turned out he was. Good luck.

Tom

jimbb732

Tie downs and E Track

I plan to install some more tie downs(D rings) and ETrack. Unless there is an issue with the gas tank I will probably use 2 inch bolts ( where I thrubolt) and 2 inch self tappers .
My calcs are ( help me if its wrong )as follows:
1/8" plate on the etrack
1" floor
1/8" backing plate under floor
2/8" room for nuts washers
OR 1/4" inch for the cutter on the self tapper's that has no holding power BUT is included in your overall screw length

1/8"+1"+1/8"+2/8" = 1 4/8" minimum

The factory screws on my tie downs are 2". Although the rating is 1200 lbs and the factory brochure says the unit comes with 2000 lb d rings.

My design may be overkill for some but I want my 2 harleys SAFE and ready to go when I arrive.

Comments welcome!

Loco

Jim,
I used bolts on my rig. I do not like self drilling screws to hold a lot of weight. It was a lot harder to bolt them down , but I know they will not go any where. I used 1/4-20 x 2 1/4 inch and 1/4 hole x 2 fender washers with nylon lock nuts, to make sure they would not pull through the floor. I put my tracks down so we could put two bikes up front and then I put fold down D-rings to the rear. I did not worry about trying to bolt them to the frame although I go in a few places. If you pull the 2 inch fender washer through the two layers of plywood then you are driving like a wild man (LOL). I was able to get to most of them from under the rig without to much work. But some of them were a pain. These were the ones along the outer wall. this put the bolts out side the main frame coming out behind the lower alum. covering. The left side was easy because of the gas station door and my rear gray tank control door. But the right side I had to pull the alum. off the frame and pull it back to get up in the dead space. But it looks good and works great for my WideGlide and a Soft-Tail Springer. We have had three bikes in it so far did great.
As for the fold down d-rings I made 5x5 flat plates to back them up. I just cut the plates and drill them to match the holes in the D-rings. This took a lot more work putting this in. I had to use a router to cut into the floor to flush mount these things. They turned out good. I have attached sme pictures. Sorry they are not better. But you can see how I layed them out.

Attachments

• 2007 trailer pics 058.jpg
    2007 trailer pics 058.jpg
    327.5 KB · Views: 196
  • 2007 trailer pics 061.jpg
    2007 trailer pics 061.jpg
    320.5 KB · Views: 189

Luckyhat12

I have to put more tie downs in the garage but I have to measure today. I usually bolt straight through but the wheel chock need to be right over my gray tank in the back so I guess I need to find another solution. Loco... we have similar goals for the garage but I am not sold on the rest of the unit. I will be bolting through for the chock. I have been thinking about putting e-track down the sides but I haven't done it yet. I don't even know where to get it locally.

Since I ride a sportbike I did just get one of these stands that requires no straps. They are pretty freaking awesome and the manufacturer is a friend of mine in Huntsville, AL. I bet he can get it to work on any bike with a hollow rear axle.

http://www.pit-bull.com/trailer-restraint.shtml