Very Cool, Fort Stewart Ga

creeper

Drove my neighbor today to a his follow up eye surgery in Fort Stewart, Ga.

He's a Army Doctor.

We stopped by the Museum there and asked the Sgt. on duty if he could confirm a rumor for us.

Do you remember this?

11falling.jpg

Well the rumor is/was that Sadam's head was there at Fort Stewart. When we asked the Sgt. he says, it's not a rumor it's in the back lot.

He takes us out the back door and says, go down this path, through the open gate and there are some wooden crates. It's one of the crates.

Well sure enough it was, unceremoniously, in 7 wooden crates. Most of the statue.

0109091422_2.jpg

0109091422a_2.jpg

0109091422b_2.jpg

0109091423a_2.jpg

0109091423_2.jpg

The 3rd ID is stationed at Fort Stewart. They were the first ones in Iraq, the most deployed in Iraq and the ones responsible for pulling down the statue.

They also have Saddam's balcony guns. One pictured here.

200px-Sadam_Dec_2000_During_military_parade.jpg

The also have the golden guns formerly owned by Saddam and his sons.

Very interesting visit. I suggest you stop by and take a look at history if you get a chance.

To gain access to the base, if you don't have an Army Captain with you like I did, you'll need your drivers license, registration and proof of insurance. You have to enter through the main gate in Hinesville, Ga. They will give you a pass after presenting your documents.

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
WOW! Something at Ft Stewart other than trees, brambles, snakes and spooks.

And, it only took 30 years.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I think we out to put on display so all of America to show everybody what an egotistical bas**** (pardon my language) SaDAM was. Thank GOD and the US military that he is gone. GOD bless the USA.

Last edited by a moderator:

creeper

WOW! Something at Ft Stewart other than trees, brambles, snakes and spooks.

And, it only took 30 years.

They have this little museum which is free and very nice. Some great stories..

A little tidbit for only the Heartland owners. There is a public campground at Fort Stewart. The last time I checked it was $10 a night. Very nice with a great fishing pond.

ct0218

A lot of the Army posts have campgrounds available for active duty and retirees of any branch. Also, the National Guard posts in many states have sites available to same, and some are open to the public. I've stayed in many of them as a retiree and they are nice-and very cheap. It has been quite a while since I stayed at Camp Swampy (Ft Stewart) though. Really hot there in the summer! One of my favorites is Camp Blanding, the NG post near Starke. FL. Right on the lake and very well kept by the post.

truknutt

Committed Member
A little tidbit for only the Heartland owners. There is a public campground at Fort Stewart. The last time I checked it was $10 a night. Very nice with a great fishing pond.

We stayed there a couple years ago on our way to Daytona Beach. Nice concrete pads, Water, Electric, & Cable. Dump station was available. They did warn us that if we went to the pond to watch our little ones and dogs..."Al" the Gator lived in that pond along with his snapper and snakey buddies!

Mosquitos were a little thick.. Overall, off the beaten path, quiet, INEXPENSIVE for sure. DW was stationed there years ago so she knew "Where the He** Hinesville Was!" :eek:

I guess it's only a Federal Offense for INDIVIDUALS to return with War Trophies??? :rolleyes:

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
It has been quite a while since I stayed at Camp Swampy (Ft Stewart) though. Really hot there in the summer! One of my favorites is Camp Blanding, the NG post near Starke. FL. Right on the lake and very well kept by the post.

What's sad is when you realize that when you were young and brash...Ft Stewart was in the desert.:eek:

Anyhow....love the statue....the new kids are doing good.