Slide-topper awnings

ChopperBill

I have a slide topper awning on my Snowriver truck camper and found it to be a must have option. Keeps snow and debris from entering the camper and having to go out and sweep the slide off. I see a lot of FW's in the camp grounds and on dealers lots don't have those installed. Have any of you folks seen the need for them? Probably will order them regardless of the out come but would like everyones input.

K

Ken Washington

Hi ChopperBill,
The two things that I don't like is water seems to puddle on them and the noise they make in wind. I think they help in the ways that you shaired and they also keep the sun from heating the top of the slide.

Tom of Ypsi

After not having slide topper awnings and now having them I will always have them, beats bringing in a wet slide then having to stand on a chair or stool to dry the top off before traveling. I got use to the minimal wind noise the flappiing awning makes.

ChopperBill

Thanks for the input! The slide topper on my TC is tight as a drum when it is extended. never flaps in the breeze. I see some of the toppers used have a roller in the middle that gives a peak to the slide. I dont suppose BH uses those?

jpmorgan37

I wouldn't be without them. My Grand Canyon has them and they are relatively tight. I get a slight water accumulation on them after a rain, but not a problem. They are easy to clean with after sitting open for any length of time. (We stay in this Campground for six months) We have had them on other fifth wheels for since 1998. Wind noise is minimal when they are installed correctly and we have been in 60+ mph winds with them open.

ChopperBill

I talked to one dealer that isn't a big fan off the Heartland topper awnings. When he gets a unit in he puts on Colorado Carefree awnings. However, think I will take a chance with the stock units so I don't have to put up with another install hassle.