Mounting things on walls

rickbsgu

rickbsgu
I've got a few bits and pieces of things I want to mount on the wall - paper towel rack, knife block, pics, etc.

What's the liability of screwing into the exterior walls? Work ok? Disaster? Use expanders?

The cabinets must be screwed in, but I don't see where (a compliment to the finish...)

The little shaded lights are screwed in - maybe I'll pull one of those to see how it's done.

Any info appreciated.

rickb

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Rick, I have always use Molly Fasteners. On the interior walls for the stool room be careful where you drill. The bathroom wall does have some plastic water lines in it. You might hit a stud on the side walls but no big deal. A stud finder might work, but I have never used one. Bob:D

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
I've got a few bits and pieces of things I want to mount on the wall - paper towel rack, knife block, pics, etc.

What's the liability of screwing into the exterior walls? Work ok? Disaster? Use expanders?

The cabinets must be screwed in, but I don't see where (a compliment to the finish...)

The little shaded lights are screwed in - maybe I'll pull one of those to see how it's done.

Any info appreciated.

rickb

Use care not to drill thru the wall. Use plastic expansion bolts. I put up a bunch of shelves and they are very secure.

cjbearden

Visitor
Had a tech tell me to use Molly fasteners if I planned to put things on the wall, especially for the column between the two pocket doors of the side-isle bathroom.

rickbsgu

rickbsgu
Ah, ok. So these are the 'expanding sleeve' types. Once they're in the wall, they're in for good.

So, you're using these on the outer walls? What happens to the foam insulation - the wings just push it aside?

thanx,
rickb

rickbsgu

rickbsgu
Had a tech tell me to use Molly fasteners if I planned to put things on the wall, especially for the column between the two pocket doors of the side-isle bathroom.

That makes sense - almost all of the inner wall/cabinet walls are hollow.

rickb

jbeletti

What do you use to locate these strips? I want to add some cabinets in the garage area.

The backer is only used where the factory needs them to mount the cabinets that come with the coach.

I suggest you use a stud-finder to locate the stud-framing in your walls to mount your cabinets.

Jim