Ducting 2nd AC

madigand

If you order the 2nd AC with heat pump option in the Grand Canyon; can it be plumbed into the duct work?? Also can it be hooked up to a dual zone thermostat so that you have one thermostat housing with 2 zones? It seemsI remember some saying that when they get 2nd Ac it uses the regular vent shroud that protrudes from the ceiling. Just wondering if ordered from Factory if it can be plumbed into duct work. Thanks for the info

jpmorgan37

Hello Madigand, We are south of you in Temple and I have the 2nd AC/Heat pump in my GC. The main living room unit is plumbed into the ducting in the bedroom. The second unit is not. During the day when temps approach 90, we have run them both on AC. At night, we just run the main one on either AC or Heat pump, depending on the temperature. The main one will automatically switch over to the furnace when the outside temperature gets to about 30 degrees. The main unit is quiet enough so it is not disturbing at night, but the bedroom unit will wake me up when it comes on. They do have separate thermostats which I like so that I can program them for different temperatures.

madigand

Thanks for the info. I was worried about the noise of the AC In bedroom, especially at night. The 5ers with both units ducted are much quieter. Decisions, decisions

jpmorgan37

I was worried about the noise of the AC In bedroom, especially at night. Decisions, decisions

So far, I have never needed the bedroom unit at night. The main unit does a fine job. The important thing is to make sure the main unit discharge by the air intake is closed so that the air (or heat from the heat pump) goes through the ducts. That way you get plenty of air (heat) in the bedroom.

John

jpmorgan37

There are three outlets in the living room/kitchen from the ducts and two in the bedroom and one in the potty room. There is also a large discharge in the grill of the A/C unit itself. The one in the grill of the A/C is the one that I close in order to force air through the ducts and distribute it through the entire RV. The only other one I adjust is the duct in the Potty room. It has a shut off on it and I keep it almost closed. I just came in a few minutes ago and turned on both A/C's. The temp outside is 80 and it was plenty warm inside. It cooled down in about 20 minutes. I love it. We also have the dual pane windows.

John

Hi Everyone,
I'm A New Member Without An Rv.looking At Grand Canyon,and Either New Horizon,or Newmar Mountain Aire.landmark Is Rated For Vacation At Rv Consumer.anyone Fulltiming In One?would Appreciate Any Info.learned Quite A Bit Just By Reading Info Already Listed.saw Some Beautiful Rigs.
Thanks,
Talfarm

jpmorgan37

Check out this thread. //heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?t=23&highlight=fulltiming

It should answer a lot of your questions. Read Scott's post #14. We are fulltiming in a Grand Canyon and love the Landmark.

John

Last edited: