lube axles on Cyclone?

Do we need to lube the axles on our Cyclone? When and how? I thought there might be info on this in the HOOT but there isn't that I can find. We've had ours for a year now and know there's some annual things that need to be done but not sure what. Any help is appreciated.

truknutt

Committed Member

davelinde

I guess I will add the "normal" warning about those EZ-lubes.

The Lippert link is accurate about this - pump SLOWLY and spin the hub while pumping. It's not like doing your tie-rod ends or something like that. If you pump too fast or don't spin the hub you can blow out the rear seal and grease up your brakes. It happened to me when I had a dealer grease my axles once.

After looking at it, many people conclude it's better to remove and re-pack the bearings than to pump them. That said, the 12 month/12,000 mile interval seems pretty conservative to me. On my last rig I re-packed the bearings every other year. On this rig I think I might pump a little into the inner bearings and repack the outers one year, then repack both bearings (with a new rear seal) on alternate years. Six hubs will make it chore for sure...

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
I plan on doing an axle/brake conversion this spring...and definitely getting the 100.000 hubs

fjspinelli

Common Sense Jake
OK, so I did the research, printed out the procedure for lubing the hub. Now the big question...what type of grease to use??

Lithium? Water resistant (marine grade)? General purpose?

cliffbuilt

OK, so I did the research, printed out the procedure for lubing the hub. Now the big question...what type of grease to use??

Lithium? Water resistant (marine grade)? General purpose?

Here's a copy/paste of page 7 0f the axle manual.
Happy Camping
Cliff

Recommended Wheel Bearing Lubrication Specifications
Grease:
Thickener Type .............................................................. Lithium Complex
Dropping Point ................................................... 230°C (446°F) minimum
Consistency ............................................................................ NLGI No. 2
Additives .......................................... EP, Corrosion & Oxidation Inhibitors
Base Oil .................................................... Solvent Refined Petroleum Oil
Base Oil Viscosity .........................@40°C (104°F) 150cSt(695 SUS) Min.
Viscosity Index ...................................................................... 80 Minimum
Pour Point ............................................................. -10°C (14°F) Minimum
Approved Sources:
Mobil Oil .......................................................................... Mobilgrease HP
Exxon/Standard ....................................................................... Ronex MP
Kendall Refining Co. ...........................................................Kendall L-427
Ashland Oil Co. .......................................... Valvoline Val-plex EP Grease
Pennzoil Prod. Co. ....................... Premium Wheel Bearing Grease 707L