Virginia Beach campground

Planning to visit our son in the Virginia Beach area in March. Any insight available on First Landing State Park, or advice for other campground options close by?
Equipment is an 08 Sundance FW, 3300BHS.
Thank you all for any advice you may offer.

HRAI

Kiptopeke State Park

Hi there,

We stayed at Kiptopeke State Park this last October and found it to be fantastic. The only thing you might not like is that it's across the bay which means you would have to pay a fee to get across the Bridge-Tunnel. But the Bridge-Tunnel is quite spectacular. It is one of the 7 engineering marvels of the world! The park is VERY nice. It has full hook ups, decent rates and security. I would stay there again in a heart beat if I had to go back there for any reason.

Guy

Sam Marcum

North Trails Owner
VA Beach area

We recently checked out First Landing State Park and it did not appeal to us at all. We really liked Holiday Trav-L Park's Green Acres section and hand picked Site 821 as our favorite place. The VA Marine and Science Museum is under construction/major remodeling......the 3D IMAX is good.

Check out The Heritage (health food store, cafe and bookstore/gifts).
Cheers.............

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
Planning to visit our son in the Virginia Beach area in March. Any insight available on First Landing State Park, or advice for other campground options close by?
Equipment is an 08 Sundance FW, 3300BHS.
Thank you all for any advice you may offer.

Where do you want to stay. There are two campgrounds on General Booth road. One is a Good Sams, the other is an independent. They are across the street from each other.
Holiday Trav-L Park‎
1075 General Booth Blvd, Virginia Beach, VA‎ - (757) 425-0249‎

transparent.png

KOA Kampgrounds‎
Good Sam Park Now.
1240 General Booth Blvd, Virginia Beach, VA‎ - (757) 428-1444‎

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
I usually stay at the KOA near the store and pool. Staff there is pretty nice. Never a problem with pets either.

lrmike

We've stayed in both the parks on Gen Booth and both are very good. Rang in the millennium at the KOA in fact! Our personal preference is the Holiday Travel Park. Kiptopeke is also a great park, but the toll is pretty steep at something like $20.00 each way with the trailer.

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
I usually stay at the KOA near the store and pool. Staff there is pretty nice. Never a problem with pets either.

Great place on the off season....but wildly expensive in the $1400 per month range the rest of the year.

I'm serious here...no joke.

Dave

Traveling Two
When in March will you be in the Va Bch area? I work for the dept of the navy and we camp in either KOA or Trave-L Park from March to Oct. We have a Sundance 3300SK. We prefer the Trave-L park esp the "super sites" but the campground is located at the end of NAS Oceania which at times gets very noisey!!

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
Great place on the off season....but wildly expensive in the $1400 per month range the rest of the year.

I'm serious here...no joke.

So true. IIRC it was summer of 2007 they stopped offering "seasonal" discount rates and went to daily rates so they could make more money (read they got greedy)..... And most all of the fulltimers packed up and left LOL

No kidding, I was there for a weekend right after they did that and the place was 3/4 empty.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
We stayed at First Landing State Park this past April for my niece's wedding. Nice park, however, it is not set up for larger RVs. Anything bigger than about a thirty foot trailer is not getting in or out very easily. Not to mention getting our truck stuck in the sand.

If you are equipped for dry camping they do have an area that is open, flat and easy to get in and out of...there just are no hook-ups whatsoever.

If we go back again, we'll stay at the Holiday Travel Park...much more accommodating to larger RVs. Good Luck!

jcd8822

Joseph
In June 2006 We stayed at Best Holiday Trav-L-Park on General Booth. It was a nice park. It is fairly large, has a store, gas station, post office and a shuttle to Virginia Beach. The only thing I would advise you about in advance about either park on General Booth is that when the jet fighters come over you think they are going to land on top of you, but we enjoyed our stay.

Joseph

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
In June 2006 We stayed at Best Holiday Trav-L-Park on General Booth. It was a nice park. It is fairly large, has a store, gas station, post office and a shuttle to Virginia Beach. The only thing I would advise you about in advance about either park on General Booth is that when the jet fighters come over you think they are going to land on top of you, but we enjoyed our stay.

Joseph

The management of the park are very unfriendly. The owners even more so. The people staying there are pretty good.

I just prefer the Good Sam Park across the street. It's a personal thing, don't cha know?

Sorry a little late..

But look into North Landing Beach.

www.northlandingbeach.com

Not to far out of the way but enough that you don't even know the tourist trap is just up the road. Its our getaway weekend hiding hole (we live about 9 miles from the place) most of the time we can decide on Friday and just go after work.

H

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
When in March will you be in the Va Bch area? I work for the dept of the navy and we camp in either KOA or Trave-L Park from March to Oct. We have a Sundance 3300SK. We prefer the Trave-L park esp the "super sites" but the campground is located at the end of NAS Oceania which at times gets very noisey!!

Yeah, but during the annual Air Show at Oceana you have a front row seat for the Blue Angels and other aircraft.:)

Golferkids

North Landing State park is south of the "tourist" beach area. Down Princess Anne road. They are located on the Back Bay and have boat access. It's not too far from the main events and a lot quieter. They have a website.

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
Yeah, but during the annual Air Show at Oceana you have a front row seat for the Blue Angels and other aircraft.:)

That and you have the excitement of wondering if they are cosidering your roof to be in their landing pattern.

I had one come over so low and fast that a window fell out of my Airstream.

Now, that'll wake you up from a Sunday Nap!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek: