Tires

I am looking for advice on a better brand of tires to put on my 2004 F-350 SD 4x4 DWD. I tow my Landmark Augusta with it. The truck came with General tires on it but I haven't been happy with the tread life. With as many folks that tow, hopefully someone has had tires that work great for them.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I have been using Michelin LTX A/S on my 99 Ford F350. They are load range 'E' and am on my 4th set. (I have 220000 miles on my truck) I get around 60000 miles per set. I keep them roatated, balanced and properly inflated. The LTX A/S is and all season tire and is almost the same as the Michelin LTX M/S which is a mud/snow tire. The A/S is several dollars cheaper and rides smoother on paved roads. I tow most of the time with my truck (the Landmark or boat or 16 foot lowboy trailers.) I have always had Ford trucks and have always used Michelin tires when buying tires. They have always been a good wearing reliable tire that rides well. My opnion....

Mike

I've had Generals before and thought they did OK. But what do you think good tire mileage should be. I'm not sure. I'm not expecting to get 50k like my car tires, but what should be expected mileage for a set of tires on a TV.

My 06 Dodge 4X4 SWD came with Michelin LTX A/S and are good road tires but only marginal in the snow. They have 23k miles and 9/32 tread depth remaining. Maintenance is: 6k miles rotation, 80 PSI Towing and reducing to 55-60 PSI when there is no load on the truck. That lowering of the pressure helps keep an even tire wear.

So people, what is a considered good mileage for tires on a TV and are there any other maintenance tasks that should be performed?

Jim

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I have gotton 45000-58000 per set even towing. The biggest consideration for good mileage are: proper inflation; balancing; rotation; and (as my Dad used to say) no "hot-rodding". I was told by the tire dealer that the Michelin ATX M/S was what you need if you will be "snow driving" versus the ATX A/S.

osims

bsims
I still have the Generals on my Dodge but the will need replacing soon. I am sold 100% on Michelin tires and have had excellent service from all i have bought.
Bill

I'm still on the factory installed Continental "Contitrac TR" tires that came with the truck. I've got 40,000 miles right now with about 1/3 of that towing my BH 3670. Based on then remaining tread I would guess that they will probably make 60,000 miles which is pretty good.
Most of you like Michelins & I've got no problem with them. However, my F-350 has single rear wheels and the Continentals have a load rating of 3,600 pounds when inflated to 80 pis (more than any other "E" rated tire except the BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A). If I had a dually I'd probably go with the Michelins, but with singles I feel the need for maximum capacity which to me means safety so I'll go with one of these when the time comes.
I've had several articles published on www.thisoldcampsite.com and one of them is about tires. Please feel free to check it out.

SmokeyBare

Wouldn't it be nice to find tires that would not leak... not have valve stem problems... that might look something like these:

These are being tested... according to an email. It said they were desgined by Michelin and shown at the Philadelphia car show.

The Email claims they will be out very soon... and further said... actual pictures taken in the South Carolina plant of Michelin.

Now if they could make them with a rating that would hold up to the weights of our RV's...

I doubt I'd be the first to want to try them... :)</SP=N>

Attachments

• ATT3.jpg
    ATT3.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 21
  • ATT1.jpg
    ATT1.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 20

sandman

Hey Mike i have 2008 250 with Michelin LTX A/T the best tire i have used in a long time for an A/T its quiet and smooth really like them and i tow a 2900rk sundance.

I have an F250 Ford 4x4 Crew cab short box and I have the Toyo Open Country A/T LT265/75R16 10 PR Load Range E, awesome tire with an agressive tread, fairly quiet, great traction under all conditions, awesome while towing my BH3670. Got all 4 for 850.00 mounting, bal, and road hazard.