Replace or repair TV

morganm12

George
Do I replace original equipment, 24.?" Toshiba flat screen tube TV, or get it fixed. I am leaning toward replacement but am having trouble finding a suitable replacement within the cost limits of my extended warranty and still fit the hole. Any suggestions. This TV is for a 05 Grand Canyon and is the main TV.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
It all really depends on how much money you want to spend. Did you get a Digital Converter box if needed? It's really a decision you need to make on your own. Measure your tv opening to determine what replacement will fit. My preference is an HDTV LCD but it's your wallet that counts the most.

morganm12

George
Hello Ray,
I was curious if anyone else has had the need to replace one of these units and if so what with. I gather that I need to look at the LCD rather than PLASMA. I have a $50 deductible extended warranty that will replace the TV with some restrictions, like size and cost ($350 range). I think Sony is going to be my preference. Now finding one thats suitable.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Take it from an old TV repairman... Buy a new one, the technology is changing so fast you will get the lastest in technology with a new one.

Tom of Ypsi

We upgraded our old Toshiba with a 32" Sharp TV and the picture is worth the upgrade. I ripped out the old slideout swivel base and built shelves behind the new tv. I mounted the new tv with a cantilevered arm that swings out and swivels. I did the same thing in the bedroom only we put in a 22" tv with shelves behind that tv also.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
The VIZIO 32" LCD is the first LCD we bought and it has been flawless. They first came on the market in early 06 and are rated very well. I think Sams Club sells a Vizio 32" 1080i for under $700 and a 720p for a bit less.. We have a 17" AOC in the bedroom but I wasn't aware that it wasn't HD till it was too late so I now have a converter on it. Sony, Sharp, Samsung, Toshiba and many more are all good sets. Again, what fits your opening and pocketbook. Keep in mind how you plan on mounting it as well. It may affect the size you buy.