Unwinterizing

furcuz

Hello, I am new to forums and will soon be a new owner of a North Trail 26RK 5th wheel. I have read some informative threads on winterizing but..... I will be picking up my new North Trail in a couple of weeks. As it is still January and cold I will be leaving the unit winterized from the dealer. This may seem like a dumb question. Can someone give me advice on dewinterizing the unit? I would think all that anti freeze wouldnt be very tasty.

jonesj2

It will depend on what was done to winterize your new vehicle. Most have valves to isolate the hot water tank so you should not have antifreeze in it. It should have been drained and the plug left out so you will have to put the plug back in. Then clearing the lines of antifreez is as simple as hooking up to fresh water and running it out of all taps. that includes shower and outside showers as well as the flush on toilet. All the antifreez will go into the holding tanks and can be dumped when you dump your tanks. Just turn the valves back to normal for the hot water tank and fill it lettin all the air out through hot water taps untill all water. then you can heat water.

Don't forget the pin on the switch at the hotwater heater when you first start it up, ask me how I know. I forgot to turn it on and remembered the next morning.

SmokeyBare

RV Anti freeze is designed so it doesn't leave too much of a taste. That said... remember that everyone's tastes are different so as Jim just said a real good flushing should be all that's needed.

IF... You happen to have an Ice Maker in your RV... be sure to flush out the lines real well going to it... seems the ICE can have a slight taste for the first few batches.

If your still worried... they make a product to help clean the lines... but I believe if you want to make some "Do-it-Your-Self" solution... take a gallon jug of water... and dissolve some "Baking Soda" ... making sure it's completely dissolved in the water... then use the RV water Pump... as if your winterizing... fill the water lines with this solution... let it set for a spell.. then once again flush with a good amount of water. That should clean it of any taste that the Anti Freeze might leave.

Good Luck !

Hart

We dewinterized at a campground in December; 1st time for this unit. Followed procedure as given above. We did not have to flush excessively & there was no bad taste. To save space in holding tanks, we did open low point drains & run some antifreeze out into a bucket. All in all, it was much simplier & quicker than expected!
Enjoy your camping!