Hello from a new RVer and Cyclone owner.

DW_Gray

Hello,

Well this is my first post and I'm sure it won't be my last. I've enjoyed reading the info here and there is lot more to learn. I'm about to fulfill a dream to take a year long cross country trip in 2009. I hope to leave by March. This is what my late wife and I had planned to do after I retired 6 years ago. Unfortunately, 5 months after retirement, she was diagnosed with cancer and passed away 35 months later. I just got engaged on Christmas morning and my fiancée, Amy, is looking forward to traveling with me.

I look forward to leaning a lot here and hopefully meet some of you along the way.

jimtoo

Hi DW Gray,

Welcome to the Heartland Forum and Family. I am sure you will find lots of information here and can make lots of friends. This is what we are about, friendship and helping one another.

It is so great that you have decided to continue on with your life. I know it must be a hard thing to do, but sounds like you have found companionship and love.

Please keep us up to date on your travels and if any of us can help with a problem, we are here.

Jim M

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
DW, good for you. My story is about the same as your's. My wife passed in 1999 of cancer. I met Patty and life went on. Go get your dreams because life is too short. Welcome to the Heartland family. BTW, there are some people on the forum that are a little off center (me too) but it is all in fun. There are also some very smart people on here. Bob:D

Dragoon

Welcome to the forum. We were all "green" :D once, you'll learn just as we all have. Don't be shy about asking, that's how we learned. 10 years later and we're still full-timing and haven't looked back. We learned early on about situations like yours and due to a life changing event just before we retired, decided to go for the gold. If we had it to do over again, we would have gone sooner! Enjoy the ride, you're gonna love it, remember you ain't workin' for anybody anymore. No hurries and no worries, eh?:p

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
A 4012! Wow, you did what we did. We had never had an RV before and bought a 3670 which is really almost 39 feet long. Take your time and ask lots of questions. Lots of people here will have answers and most people in parks are really helpful too.

Our daughter and son-in-law lived in Solvang for a couple of years. We've spent a little time in your neck of the woods while down seeing them.

Kristy

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
DW Welcome to the Heartland Family & Forum. Enjoy the new journey and Thank You for your service to our Country! Keep us posted on your travels. We're all here to help so ask away.

DW_Gray

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CDAVIDG%7E1%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:Verdana; panose-1:2 11 6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-1593833729 1073750107 16 0 415 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:Verdana; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Thanks you all. This morning I will meet a retired truck driver that one of my friends and neighbor knows. I need to get all the information I can obtain. I keep experiencing some delays from various problems. One of which is my dealer. I saw them on Wednesday and told them they had a week to get my missing equipment and broken parts replaced. Dealers/Salesman - Either a bunch of lairs or very cunning. Personally, I think Heartland should pull the plug for these guys.
<o:p> </o:p>
My mistake, I didn’t do enough homework. But on the other hand, I believe every thing happens for a reason even if I don’t like it.

Bob&Patty

DW, you need to read the posts about the drivers license endorsement you will need in Calif. Remember, any 5er over 15K, as listed on the cabinet door spec sheet will require a class A non-commercial endorsement. It will be under GVWR on the sticker. There are alot of threads about Tow vehicle and trailer weights. Bob:D

DW_Gray

DW, you need to read the posts about the drivers license endorsement you will need in Calif. Remember, any 5er over 15K, as listed on the cabinet door spec sheet will require a class A non-commercial endorsement. It will be under GVWR on the sticker. There are alot of threads about Tow vehicle and trailer weights. Bob:D

Roger that. I went to the DMV this morning to get the booklets and forms. I had a good meeting with a retired truck driver this morning too. He's going to ride with me for a few hours next week. It's great to have friends who know people.

BTW: I've looked for that spec sheet in my RV and it's not there or at least I haven't found it yet. Where is it supposed to be?

Bob&Patty

DW, it will be on one of the inside kitchen cabinet doors. If it over 15001 #'s you will need the "A" endorsement. The reason we push this on the forum, is for your protection. If you were to have an accident and you didn't have it, your insurance may not help you. Better safe than sorry. I did drive 18 wh'ers, so pulling this 5er was not a problem. If your friend doesn't tell you this, I will,. When you are on the road "WATCH YOUR MIRRORS AT ALL TIMES". You always need a place to go if something in front of you happens. ALWAYS watch for stop lamps coming on along way in front of you and start stopping early. Keep plenty of room in front of you "AT" all times. Watch for the idiot who wants to stay on the right side of you, believe me they don't look for turn signals. AND NEVER SWERVE TO AVOID SOME MORON, get on the brakes and hit them square. You won't be upside down and they get pushed out of the way. My 2 ct's. Bob:D

Bob&Patty

OH Yea, always use your mirrors for backing up. Never look out the door, because you will always turn the wheel the wrong way. You also will have better luck backing up so you can see down the drivers side of the coach. Blind side backing is for pro's. We will tell you about having the DW help you later, much later. She will have to be taught something's also. Then there will be no fight's. TRUST ME. The whole thing will take lots of trial and error and practice. Ask Larry. Bob:D

jbeletti

BTW: I've looked for that spec sheet in my RV and it's not there or at least I haven't found it yet. Where is it supposed to be?

Sometime this year, new RVIA RV specs went into effect - dictating where the specs go for the units. I believe all RVs are the same now.

Anyway, look for a yellow sticker inside the entrance door jamb - on the hinge side. I believe that sticker has your actual unit weight as well as the NCC. Then there is another sticker outside on the off-door-side above the LP door. This sticker is white and has the GVWR and the tire pressures.

Jim

DW_Gray

Well I feel like an idiot. I just found another kitchen door I hadn't opened yet. How did I miss that? Don't answer. LOL.

Thanks Bob, good info.

DW_Gray

"AND NEVER SWERVE TO AVOID SOME MORON, get on the brakes and hit them square. You won't be upside down and they get pushed out of the way." My 2 ct's. Bob:D

You confirmed my first common sense thought. I was reading the other day to practice swerving at different speeds. Maybe some of that is true but common sense tells me to slam on the brakes and keep it straight and hope the fool has good insurance.

Bob&Patty

DW, swerving in a car or just the TV is one thing. With a 40' 16K, 13'4" high trailer is something else again. Your trailer will not take kindly to being jerked around. Also, being a 5er hooked to the bed and the frame of the truck, if it goes over so will the truck.:eek: Not a pretty site. Like an airplane crash, stuff everywhere with you and the DW in the middle of it. Until you get used to the truck and trailer and how it reacts at speed and on turns. Stay in the slow lane, watch your mirrors for idiots, look far ahead, no talking on a cell phone, turn on your signals way ahead of any turn, and make all your turns very wide. You will have to have a very gentle conversation with DW pertaining to mirrors. Mine had, I repeat, had a bad habit of putting her head in the way of the right outside mirror when I was trying to make lane change to the right. She wanted to see if it was clear for me. Bad idea! After a few sweet remarks about it with her all is well now. Ride with your friend with your TV and trailer and watch how he makes turns. It would be to hard for me to explain on the forum. After awhile it will just come natural. You bought a very big and heavy trailer, so be very careful for awhile. Remember the trailer out weighs the truck 2 to 1 or more. If you can come to the Socal rally, trust me, you will get alot of information and alot help. DW, you will now be driving a semi-truck now just like your friend did. Bob:D

Last edited:

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
And one of the keys to driving a big rig like you now have is to been smooth in your driving. Believe me if you are jerky you trailer will let you know. Also when an 18 wheeler passes you, sometimes, he will blow you around some, especially if there is a cross wind. When he passes the cross wind goes away and then returns as he passes.

Warnerelli

Semper Fi
Spec Sheet

DW -- we have a 2008 3912 and our spec sheet is on the outside center cabinet door above the island sink. Hope this helps and welcome.

DW_Gray

As mentioned above, I found the spec sheet. Interestingly, the spec sheet shows GVWR to be 20,400 lbs. The brochure and the website shows the GVWR to be only 18,000 lbs. Also on the Cert. Label on the Pin Box, the rating is 18,000 lbs. Therefore I conclude that the lowest rating at the Pin Box supersedes the other rating.

truknutt

Committed Member
DW,

I had the same question when I picked up my '09 3210. Back then the axles were rated at 5,200 ea for a total of 15,600 lbs plus the max pin weight of 2,400 for a total of 18,000 lbs.

Sometime after I ordered and it arrived, the axles were changed to 6,000 pounders. 6,000 x 3 axles = 18,000 + 2,400 Max pin weight NOW = 20,400 lbs.

The factory confirmed (with Lippert) that the hitch sticker you see has to do with Canadian certification ratings. The hitch is rated for more than the 18,000 lbs on the Lippert sticker. Here is a posting from the then Heartland Presidente, Scott Tuttle, regarding the hitches on the BigHorns: (Link)

From what I have read on this Forum, CA law enforcement will look for the GVW rating printed on your Cyclone's VIN sticker.

Hope this helps some...