Can't Use Jensen TV

tkdmike

I have a 19 inch Jensen DTV in the bedroom that I use on the trailer antennae. I live within the broadcast area of several major stations broadcasting a digital signal. Yet, I rarely watch the bedroom tv because the signal tends to digitize, picture freezes or pixelates, and sound is impossible to understand.

I checked all the connections and even changed out the antennae with a new one from another trailer. I don't know if this is a signal issue - the meter on the tv screen show four out of five bars - a television issue, or something else going on.

Any suggestions?

Chuck Richard

HI TDKMike,

Can't answer on yours or the area but I get a good picture on my 19in. Jenson. Since you checked the connections and the antenna I'm thinking it could be reception area. Do you have another TV you could try?

Good Luck

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I've heard that digital reception is very easily blocked by trees and close buildings. Could this be the problem? When we were in Spring, TX last fall we had great digital reception. We are currently south of Corpus Christi and the only station not broadcasting digital is FOX. Our new dvd/vcr recorder has a digital tuner and there are a few stations we receive via cable that are digital but we get no sound. That's a little puzzling to me.

tkdmike

I'm going to put the original antennae back this afternoon and then will check the tv in the living area. Right now the living room tv is hooked up to HD satelite so have had no problems. I'll use it with the antennae and see what happens.

I have a clear view around me and am in a Houston suburb so shouldn't have reception issues. I'll do some checking and get back. Thanks.

JENSENRVdirect

I represent ASA Electronics, the producer of the JENSEN brand of televisions, stereos, and speakers and the Voyager brand of observation monitors and cameras. At ASA, we strive to provide excellent customer service and product satisfaction and would like to offer some assistance in this matter.

The symptoms you are describing are most likely due to general reception issues rather than TV tuner issues. With the advent of digital broadcast TV, pixilation, called macro-blocking, as well as loss of sound or a frozen picture are common reception problems and are the result of packet loss (digital data not received/discarded by the TV tuner). These are typical when experiencing poor reception conditions.

Poor reception conditions may include distance to broadcast tower, reflections, multi-path, incorrect antenna style, incorrectly aimed directional antennas as well as weather conditions. A poor coax connection or damaged coax cable can cause reception problems as well. You may want to test with a new cable between the antenna and TV, bypassing any other devices such as splitters, wall plates, etc.

If you get good reception in the living area, I would recommend trying the JENSEN TV in that location. If it performs better in that location, then I would suspect that there may be an issue in the coax cable feeding the bedroom location.

I would recommend using the following resource http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/Welcome.aspx to help determine proper antenna selection for the TV stations in your broadcast area.

Please let us know if you need any further assistance.

JENSEN and Voyager Tech support Team

tkdmike

JensenRV direct, thanks for the explanation and input. I will check out the site listed and see if that has something to do with it.

My antennae is not obstructed and we get very good and clear analog signals. I haven't had the chance to check out the other television on the antennae yet but will get to that in the next day or so. I occasionally have periods of good reception so suspect it is a reception issue. Since the television is hooked to the antennae I am not sure how to check connections between the antennae and the bedroom connection. I'll piddle with it this weekend.

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
Is there such a thing as an additional booster to add on to the booster that is in the wall jack? CBS seems to be the station that I have the most interference with, while ABC, NBC and FOX come in great. Stations are about 30-35 miles from here.

jbeletti

Chuck,

If the incoming signal is bad on NBC - adding an amplifier after the antenna pre-amplifier is not likely to help.

How is this station coming in for your neighbors? If they too are getting about the same quality as you - that may be as good as it gets. Also - if you look it up, you may find that station is transmitted from another location/direction. Rotating the antenna to optimize that one station for when you want to watch it may help.

Jim

Hart

Is there such a thing as an additional booster to add on to the booster that is in the wall jack?

We were shown that adding a converter box to a motorhome TV was providing additional & clearer stations while at a campground.

Not sure if this applies only to older TVs. Trying to find out if adding a converter box to a new Toshiba TV will enhance the reception in our RV.
Sounds like we have the same booster in the wall jack. I assume you are describing the red button that you push on.

Anyone know??

ON EDIT: Just learned that CW has a Winegard Digital HD receiver. It is designed to be used with both analog and HD capable tvs. Advertising says it does increase the reception capabilities, # of stations, clarity, etc. $169.99 Maybe this is what we both need! :)

Last edited:

tkdmike

As for me, the living room television (Samsung) works fine on the antennae. Today I tightened all the connections and I pointed the antennae as per the antennae website mentioned in a previous post.

Reception has been much better but I'll see later this evening. We noticed that when someone was watching in the living area with the satelite receiver on that the bedroom tv worked better. Seems like the signal was getting a boost somehow. Anyway, not sure if something I messed with fixed it or not, but it is better so far. Thanks.

linuxkidd

ON EDIT: Just learned that CW has a Winegard Digital HD receiver. It is designed to be used with both analog and HD capable tvs. Advertising says it does increase the reception capabilities, # of stations, clarity, etc. $169.99 Maybe this is what we both need! :)

Be wary of snake oil!

This tuner is a standard Digital tuner. The reason it's more expensive is that it has Component outputs ( the Red/Green/Blue connections ). The term 'HD-capable' means TV's which have the capability to display HD content, but do NOT have a HD Tuner ( also called ATSC Tuner ).

So, if your TV is new, and it's an HDTV and has the ability to Tune over the air HD broadcasts... You do NOT need this device.

I strongly recommend using http://www.antennaweb.org as previously mentioned.
1. Click 'Choose an Antenna'
2. Enter your current address.
3. Make sure to Uncheck the two 'You may send me ....' boxes!
4. Do NOT enter your name, phone number or email address...
5. Click 'Submit' (the tall trees/buildings options is irrelavant for our purposes)
6. On the next screen, select the radio option at the top that says "Show Digital Stations Only"
7. For better visualization, you can click the 'View Street Level Map' button.

This output will show you the stations available to you, the distance from their transmitter to you, and the direction ( compass heading ) of the transmitter.

Here is a sample map output:
AntennaWeb.png

You'll notice there are several lines drawn out from my approximate location. The lines are Lettered. On the right side is a list of the channel numbers which correspond to each Lettered line.

So, you can point your antenna in the direction which is toward the stations you want to receive. You will also want to check the main listing to see their distance. You may find that some stations in the map listing are > 40 miles away... you probably won't get those on your RV antenna.

In my example above, I prefer position B as this provides me the most stations without moving my antenna around.

Feel free to ask any questions you may have...

Thanks,
LK

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Now if Wineguard would only come up with the batwing antenna with a remote rotor on it we would not have to get out of our chair to move the antenna.

jnbhobe

Remote Control

Hey Jim, Wineguard does make a remote control batwing check their website. JON :cool: :cool:

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Cool, I will. The other thing I am going to get is the FM remote for my direct TV, that way I can change the channel in the bedroom or outside on the receiver in the living room. I think it is only $35.00.