First 5er Question

cjhicks

Will be picking up our first 5er next week and have noticed several 5er,s around the area that are parked and have a tripod under the hitch pin, is this something that I should buy ? Thanks :)

fljlcw

congrats on your new unit we fulltime in ours and the tripod is to help stablize the rig we use one and it does help some what type mod. # did you get?

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Congratulations on your new rig. We use a tripod with our Landmark and it really helps take out some of the movement. I have been thinking about trying to get some JT Stabilizers.

Good luck,
Mark

We use a tripod and it does help with much of the shake when you're moving around in the RV. Make sure you get it tight enough. Means you need to let the RV down on it to tighten the legs and chains. You cannot get it tight enough by screwing the pin holder up into it.

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
I'll just add that the tripod seems to help. Doesn't eliminate all movement, but does help Still waiting for money to get the JT"S.
If you watch craigs list, you can find the tripods cheap if you want to try one without a big investment. We paid $50 for ours in like new condition that is $140 at CW.

truknutt

Committed Member
Welcome to the family!

Where in Maryland are you located & what dealer are you purchasing from?

Is this your first RV or just your first 5er?

Again, welcome aboard.

Cheryl

I suggest taking a trip without the tripod to see if you notice any movement. We don't use a tripod and I have never felt any movement.

Cheryl, please don't take this the wrong way..but the word Diesel is misspelled in your Signature...or did you do that on purpose to see if we were paying attention? :)

goldenbetty

goldenbetty
:)
Good catch!!

We use the tripod. Seems that the longer the trailer, the more movement you get. We had a 32, now we have a 35+. IMHO!
Welcome!

cjhicks

To all that replied to my questions on the use of a tripod, Thank You, I will buy one as my wife has Vertigo and does not wish to have any movement in the 5er!! As to the questions some of you had for me---- We are getting the Model 3410RE. from Midway RV in Salisbury, Maryland .We live in Oriole, Maryland located on the Eastern Shore of the Cheasapeake Bay. This is our 3th rv the first was a1960's era 16ft Shasta that I rebuilt and kept it at a small campground in Va.for about ten years sold it and went to a 32ft Cabin Cruiser Sold the boat and next we had a 38ft DP motorhome. We sold that about five years ago and the 3410 will be our first 5er.

Niles

I use one and, I feel like it does take some movement out of the trailer. That makes me feel better about carrying it around too, because it is a pain in the butt to carry, takes a lot of room and is awkward to put up. However with all of that I do like it, we have a Bal Tripod we purchased at ppl online they are $119.99 right now. The best part I like about it, is it is simple to adjust once you get it in position, each leg adjusts up if you need to and the leg that tightens it against the hitch is easy to screw up (meaning to adjust not mess up) and you can tighten it without letting the trailer down on it, I have picked the trailer up off the legs with it. We had a cheap one before this one spend the money and get the good one first. If you go with the JT stabilizers it is my understanding you won't need the fifth wheel tripod. Good luck,

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
We have one, but don't use it anymore. We purchased a set of front and back stabilizers and prefer this set-up to the tripod. Obviously, it cost more money.

My tripod was purchased from CW about four years ago - probably for $120 or so. Still looks pretty much like new. If someone that is going to the 2008 rally at Goshen wants to give me $50 for it, I'll bring it with me.

SOLD

Last edited:

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
Should say that once we purchased a TrailAir hitch, the tripod was no longer effective, because of the air bag on the pin box. That is why we stopped using the tripod and went with the stabilizers.

beasleyrl

If you want to come to Fredericksburg, I'll make you a good deal on the tripod. I installed JT's about 5 months ago and won't go back to the tripod.