Got the bug! Now what should I ask?

skyguy

Brand new member here. Presently own a SOB, 2001 vintage, and we are starting to itch for a new one.

Plan to visit a local dealer in town tomorrow and have a look at their Heartland line. I am very interested in the 3670.

What questions should I be sure to ask the salesman? Are there any specific areas I should pay close attention to, like drawer fit, or under sink plumbing for examples??

I have enjoyed browsing the forum over the last few days while Jim B and I worked through my "activation" issues. Nice family here!

Thanks

Al S. in Colorado Springs

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Al, I think the first thing is to ask yourself the basic questions. How much do I want to spend and what floorplan do I want? Also will my tow vehicle be sufficient or do I need more truck? I think Heartland has the best trailers on the market for the money. Fit & finish has been good but as you may have read on our forum, there have been issues with water connections needing to be tightened and fittings leaking. We had a couple of leaks in ours but after tightening and almost 3 years of use they have never resurfaced. Go to the Heartland website and browse around and read the specs and figure out what options you might need for your type of living. Good luck with making your decision.

grizzlygiant

Al--Ray's advice is right on. After owning a dozen or so RVs over the years I purchased, new, a Bighorn 3400 a few years ago and have been very satisfied once the water lines were tightened and re-clamped. I have out-grown the Bighorn and after a very thorough search of SOB's I ordered a new Sundance yesterday. My one special instruction is that the water system hold 100psi air pressire for 15 minutes. Heartland is head and sholders above most, if not all, manufacturers but be sure, once you have selected the plan you like, to check out the pricing from a few of the outstanding internet dealers. All Heartland dealers are not created equal. I am fortunate to have one of the best in my backyard.

Dragoon

Ray has excellent suggestions. We always want to know what the floor plan looks like both extended and retracted. Since we full-time, we tend to stop at Walmart while traveling and want to be able to load the rig with groceries we have purchased without extending the glides. We also want to be able to live in the unit with the glides in as we sometimes boondock in the Walmart parking lot and adhere to the "Escapee" guidelines of not having the appearance of camping. This may or may not be a concern to you. Also know up front (if you start to deal) what's included in the basic price. Sometimes, batteries are not included, for example. When we bought our rig in July, we negotiated the price to include 6 volt batteries, a stack washer and dryer and a 2nd air-conditioner (we made sure they gave us back the fantastic vent already in the unit). Also, very important in our opinion, look at the tires. If necessary, you might want to negotiate better ones than are installed.

Good luck in your pursuit. We loved our previous two fifth wheels (both Hitchhikers), but they became too pricey for us. We feel the Heartland product is a good compromise and have been happy. We have not had the leaking problems, yet (knock on wood), the dealer may have caught them, but we knew to check for them, as this will happen :(. Only have had some minor problems so far, and fixed 99% of them ourselves. The major problem we had was with the main a/c which the dealer finally corrected after 3 trips and many, many talks with Dometic. Finally repaired after a tech at the dealer returned from vacation - he was the expert on a/c's ;). Had it fixed in 15 minutes (maybe less). Oh! Well! We got 3 nights free camping at the Dealer, would rather have been somewhere else, however.

skyguy

I guess I need to fess up a little more....

WE have been RV'rs for many years, my Dad had early Motorhomes etc, and after he passed away years ago, we traded the inherited mini-MH in for a 24 foot Prowler. Had that 10 years, then found a Montana that was just what the wife was looking for, and made the right deal.

Also, while the kids were growing up, we went through several power boats, then sailboats, before we gave up boating and sent the kids to college instead! I enjoy fixing my own mechanical issues - I don't believe you can happily own either a boat or RV unless you are willing to do some work yourself!! (And believe me, boats are NOT the place to have water leaks!!)

Our Montana developed a leak in the fresh water supply for the kitchen sink, but I guess I have to place the blame on that to myself, since I had upgraded the kitchen faucet the year before.

I have found that if something breaks on an RV or a boat, if you buy TWO, so you have a spare, the chances of ever needing that spare are pretty slim.

So my questions were looking for anything specific - such as the response about water lines.

Tomorrow we start our search - first the right floorplan, then go find the best price. I'm looking forward to the "challenge"

Al S.

SmokeyBare

When we started to "Look" for a replacement for our own "SOB"... Having been already full timing for a couple years... we had a check list of items we wanted in our next RV.

Our next RV had to have a bed room slide... with a flush floor plan in the bedroom/bathroom area. No more stumbling down one step... which I was sure one night one of us was going to trip and break something on...

It had to have a desk area for the computer... Karen was tired of me taking over the kitchen table. It had to have dual pane windows... I was tired of not being able to see out when the condensation built up on the windows... water puddling in the window channel... I wanted electric rear jacks as well.

Last was as important to us as any other item... our two lazy boy chairs had to fit in the RV... with out moving them each time we traveled.

We knew what we wanted... well that is until we visited Heartland... using my tape measure and recording the space inside the 3055 RL. That visit was worth it... we ended up buying a 3400 RL. With the extra length... it works perfectly for our needs. I only push back the two chairs... to slide the rooms in. The living room is comfortable even when the kids come for a weekend visit.

You will be selecting one of the best RV's made today for the price your going to have to pay. Just spend plenty of time going over each and every item in your new Heartland RV... once you've selected the one you want.

This company listens to the owners... they continue to make improvements to their product... The new units I seen at the Tampa Super Show... have some wonderful features... Check out the new type of insulation they are using in both the floors as well as the ceilings. Take note of the improved basement doors and locks on those doors. Your going to be very pleased with your decision to buy Heartland.

boatdoc

You best be ready to buy once your better half see's the 3670 kitchen and the all in one bath. We had a perfectly great Open Road 357, just thought we'd "look" at the 3670 since our freinds thought they were "nice". We climbed in and the wife gave the old "Holy Crap" , well guess what!!! :eek:
We have had it for a year now and can't say enough good about it.

Good luck and happy RV hunting. I think it will be a short hunt!!:D

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
You best be ready to buy once your better half see's the 3670 kitchen and the all in one bath. We had a perfectly great Open Road 357, just thought we'd "look" at the 3670 since our freinds thought they were "nice". We climbed in and the wife gave the old "Holy Crap" , well guess what!!! :eek:
We have had it for a year now and can't say enough good about it.

Good luck and happy RV hunting. I think it will be a short hunt!!:D

Sounds like my story on becoming a 3670 owner. I just wanted to look at the 5'er models at the RV show. Wife got to the 3670 before I did. And the saleswoman that sold us our TT a couple of years ago was inside. Made it worse was that we went to the show with my sister and her husband. I stepped in to take a look and got bushwacked, ambushed, hogtied, and cajoled by the lot of them. But after crawling all over and under that unit, the hook was set in my lip.

jbeletti

Hi Al,

Glad you made it onto the forum. You have received some great feedback from the Heartland experts here! Heartland owners are THE BEST!

I've spent 3 days so far - here at the Tampa show and have met dozens of owners. In fact, as I read in this thread about floor plans, it reminded me of spending time with a Bighorn owner today that wants to move to a Landmark that wanted a floor plan that in my mind - did not exist. They wanted the Augusta/3670 lower level with the Cape Cod upper level. I had nothing! Until the regional sales manager for Heartland pointed out about the 5th floor plan that goes online next week - the Grand Canyon. Yep - it's coming back. This time with a lower level similar to the Augusta/3670 and an upper level similar to the Cape Cod!

That all said, I LOST their contact info. Had it onthe back of a business card and I think I handed the card out later. Oops!

Al - best of luck in your search. Hope we earn your business!

Jim