Need help with pin box decision

aatauses

Hi, we are looking at a new 3670 and thought? we wanted a mor-ride pin, however the dealer thinks we should go with an trail-air air ride that comes with the hearland. Any pro/cons with trail air vs mor ride? Recommendations for either mor ride or trail air? advantages/disadvantages? We will be pulling with a 3500 chev duelly. appreciate any responses.
thanks--aatauses

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Hello and welcome to the forum. We have the Landmark Augusta which is the Landmark version of the Bighorn 3670. Very nice layout by the way. We opted for the MorRyde pinbox to reduce the chucking. We also have Firestone Air bags so I feel that the up and down motion of the coach will be taken care of by the air bags. I had to purchase the Morryde pinbox from Tweety's . They had the best price and I received it within two days from ordering. We have towed it as far as to Branson for the 2008 Rally and it towed like a dream. Very glad we have the Morryde pinbox.

Hope this helps and good luck,
Mark

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
aatauses, that's a tough call. I have the Trail-air and love it. Others on this forum have the Mor-ride and love it as well. I don't know, but based on what I have read and heard, it looks that no matter what you have at some point you will feel some chucking. I also have air bags, but the air bag on the Trail-air stops the up and down before it reaches the truck. I don't think you will go wrong on what ever you decide. Both will help the ride. I prefer the Trail-air. Oh and by the way the Trail-air does not "come with" the Heartland, it is an option.
Peace
Dave

jtcfishing

Welcome to this forum.We also have a new Landmark I did alot of looking and asking questions before we made our mind up to go with the trailair pin box. The last trailer I had did not have any kind of speical pinbox and I hated the chucking!! This new one rides like a dream! I was really impressed the first time we pulled it, you can look in your rearview and see the movement that it is doing and think how much it is taking out of your truck. I also put airbags on my F350 but that didn't do much but take a little sag out to level the rig.The movement or travel range of the pin is what made my mind up, wish you the best with your new rig! Hope you check but I think that trailair has a new one that also combines the two with air and rubber pin mount.Hope to see you down the road!

Dragoon

We have a Trail-air that was already on the unit. We've towed 5'ers for about 20 years prior to this without any such device. We noticed the difference immediately and wondered how we've gone this long without it. Imagine the same could be said about the Morryde. We have to add some air before we move (every 2 weeks during the winter), not a problem as the valve is easily accessible. Think you'd do just fine with either and definitely feel they're worth it. Hope this helps...

wfwilson

Founding Canadian Region Director - Retired
Aatauses
e have a Mor-ryde and obviously that was my choice. Our BH 3400RL pulls like a dream and we would not be without it. The thing I like about the Mir-ryde is there is nothing to do to it No air to add, and Mor-Ryde have been making rubber suspension for years. Also they service for installation has been exceptional.
For our money it is Mor-Ryde!
Hope my 2 cents helps.
Good Luck
Wayne

Last edited:

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Hi, we are looking at a new 3670 and thought? we wanted a mor-ride pin, however the dealer thinks we should go with an trail-air air ride that comes with the hearland. Any pro/cons with trail air vs mor ride? Recommendations for either mor ride or trail air? advantages/disadvantages? We will be pulling with a 3500 chev duelly. appreciate any responses.
thanks--aatauses

We had a Trail-Air on our Landmark when it was new. It was a pain to keep putting air in it and it did nothing to prevent the chucking (front to rear)motion we felt with it. We changed out to a Mor-Ryde hitch and love it. Nothing will completely stop the chucking but it is so much better now. We do have air bags on our F350 so that takes car of the up and down. For my money Mor-Ryde is the way to go, I don't care what the dealer says.

creeper

Mor-Ryde for the chucking.

Trail Air for the bouncing up and down. You will see the trail air on heavy units and big trucks to lessen the up and down pounding from a stiff truck suspension. An absoulute must on MDT and HDT trucks.

IMHO, they are designed for two different problems.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
aatauses, we have a trail air and have had no experience with the Mor-ryde. I have heard good comments on the MR. I feel the TA may do a better job of softening the ride for the trailer while the MR may do a better job of isolating the jarring movement you might feel in the truck. We have the same truck and I can tell you the TA helps the up and down but it still has some chucking on the bad roads. I really can't say what I would buy if I had to do it again. Probably the MR so I could really see if there was a difference. Our TA had a slight air leak at the fitting but since I've found and repaired it there is very little air loss. Any variance in air pressure is due to ambient temperature.

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
aatauses, we have a trail air and have had no experience with the Mor-ryde. I have heard good comments on the MR. I feel the TA may do a better job of softening the ride for the trailer while the MR may do a better job of isolating the jarring movement you might feel in the truck. We have the same truck and I can tell you the TA helps the up and down but it still has some chucking on the bad roads. I really can't say what I would buy if I had to do it again. Probably the MR so I could really see if there was a difference. Our TA had a slight air leak at the fitting but since I've found and repaired it there is very little air loss. Any variance in air pressure is due to ambient temperature.

New truck is getting the airbags put in...and Mor/Ryde in Elkhart is handling the other end.

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
After getting a Trail Air pinbox installed in Elkhart just prior to the 2007 Rally, I met a Trail Air representative at the Rally who indicated that Trail Air was working on a pinbox that would take care of both the chucking and the up and down movement. He was not sure if it would retrofit the one that I had. Wonder if this ever was successfully developed? It sure would have solved both problems.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I don't know what that Trail-Air rep was smoking but it sure didn't take care of the chucking on our rig.

Cyclone Traveler

We added the 5th airborne as it helps with both chucking and up/down. We have but 17000 miles and are extremely pleased.

I am sure you wanted to add another one to the list. :)

bulldoger

Being somewhat still new to my bighorn, I decided to change my pinbox to the 5th airborne after reading about it. We made our first trip was 800 miles on the Alaska Hwy where roads are not always the best. I am very pleased it stopped almost all the chucking and up and down unless we hit a section that I didn't see ahead of time then there was just a little bit. My wife is very happy with the new additon and how quite it now rides.:)

porthole

Retired
I could never get a price on the Trail Air installed by my dealer, so I had a Mor/Ryde installed.

The real decision though came down to the fact that I have a PullRite SuperGlide hitch, and PullRite does not make a custom plate for the Trail Air. Only the universal plate is available, which costs more and is a lot of work to install (drilling and tapping many holes).

I cannot compare before or after, as Mor/Ryde had the pin box installed before I arrived in Indiana.

But, I think it pulls great.

ralphpam

Why not get the new Trailair that has the ability to stop the up and down movement and the fore and back movement. We have the Trailair and love it but we are considering getting the new part to take what little chucking we have had. That way you get the best of both worlds.

bill40

I have the Trail Air tri glide on our chevy. Since we got the correct air bag it has made a big difference in the ride. The chucking is still there but is very smooth. After talking with many of the forum members I think any of the three set ups will give you a big improvement in ride. As you well know the 3500 is not one the most forgiving rides in town.