Handicampers Forum

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
I'm still working on the forum. Things are going a little slower than I wanted due to having to reinstall my OS on my desktop. And, having to do my uploads between 0001 thru 0700 hours. The satellite is working fine. But, the provider takes a dim view of you really using the system.

I promised Jim that this forum would not become a Veterans Only area. But, right now, it's pretty Veteran heavy. I can do two things at once and give you junk. Or, I can do one thing at a time and give the BBS something that might survive me. The Social Security stuff will come as I find it. One of the things that I am running up against is that the SSA does things so differently. It's almost like they don't want you to know. They really hide the information. And, what is available doesn't lend it's self to replication by links.

It's going to be another 7-10 days before this thing can go live. Even then it's going to be a couple of months before it has anything of any real substance.

Bear with me it's gonna get better.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Lady Handicamper

We have a couple in our park, John & Dianne. Dianne is wheelchair bound and in a power chair. This woman should be given some sort of award for good will ambassador for our RV Park. She is never in a bad mood, participates in almost every function and always has a positive attitude. She has had MS since she was 4 yeas old. We all love her company and appreciate her being part of our family here at Colonia del Rey.

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
We have a couple in our park, John & Dianne. Dianne is wheelchair bound and in a power chair. This woman should be given some sort of award for good will ambassador for our RV Park. She is never in a bad mood, participates in almost every function and always has a positive attitude. She has had MS since she was 4 yeas old. We all love her company and appreciate her being part of our family here at Colonia del Rey.

One of the saddest things in the world to see is a bitter, hateful old gimp in a chair. The people that you would think should be spiteful...are usually the easiest to get along with. They are miserable and want to make sure that everyone around them knows it.

If I was some of the kids at the VA, I'd be the hardest s*b in the world to get along with. For sheer guts and determination, these guys got it. God dealt me these cards, and I'm gonna have to learn to deal with it.

Some of us have just never learned. It ain't gonna get no better, this is it...now I can sit around and pee and moan...or I can get on with my life.

I just decided to get on with the rest of this adventure. I can do anything I want to do...I just have to go about it a little different.

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
The people that you would think should be spiteful...are usually the easiest to get along with.

Lefty, I met my son's neighbor, a fellow named Jack Strunk. Had quite an interesting discussion with him over dinner. He lost two legs, his eyesight and a lot of other bodily functions after being hit by a dragster in Texas. He gave me a autographed copy of the book he wrote "Surviving - My Life".

If anyone had reason to be spiteful, it would be Jack. But he thanks God everyday for letting him live. One of the most interesting individuals I have ever met. I am sure glad that our paths crossed.

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
Lefty, I met my son's neighbor, a fellow named Jack Strunk. Had quite an interesting discussion with him over dinner. He lost two legs, his eyesight and a lot of other bodily functions after being hit by a dragster in Texas. He gave me a autographed copy of the book he wrote "Surviving - My Life".

If anyone had reason to be spiteful, it would be Jack. But he thanks God everyday for letting him live. One of the most interesting individuals I have ever met. I am sure glad that our paths crossed.

When they told me I was going to lose my leg...I told them, no...I'm not.
They gave me about 12 hours and then it was game over...

I still refused and asked the doctor to turn the light off on his way out. The minute I went unconscious...my daughter signed the permission slip...and off came the left leg above the knee.

When I woke up, I was REALLY torqued. Now, I'm glad she did. My health has improved mightily since the amputation. I had had a bone infection for over 20 years...and since 2001 never felt entirely well. I usally feel pretty good...and other than the flu and colds...never sick.

Once, I got the VA and SSA straight...things have been great. All except the new leg...it's going to be time for a new one before I ever get this one fixed. The bionic part of the leg went south...so, it had to go back to the maker for repairs. AAARRRGGGHHHH!!! (extreme scream of frustation). Sooner or later...

New Trailer, New Truck...two old dogs.

cjbearden

Visitor
Bruno Lift & Power Chair

As promised, Lefty, here are a couple of pictures of my power chair in the bed of our 2008 Dodge 3500. The lift is from Bruno (http://bruno.com) - Pul 1100 - Outrider Lift. Bruno's website also includes information regarding mobility reimbursement that covers the cost of installing a lift in new or leased vehicles. When we traded for the new Dodge in July, our dealer arranged to have the lift removed from our GMC trade-in to the new Dodge under this installation reimbursement program. The controller for the lift is installed under the rear seat.

I utilize a Shoprider WIZZ Power Chair, Model 888WNL, which can be seen at http://www.allwebscooters.com/0094.asp. The price quoted on their site is the cheapest I have seen. Depending upon your insurance coverage, it is possible to have purchase price reimbursed - check with your health insurance provider.

The chair cover was specially made for me by Acey's Upholstery & Top Shop, Inc. of Little Rock, AR and cost $209.

If anyone has questions, please ask.

Attachments

• BrunoLift1.jpg
    BrunoLift1.jpg
    272.5 KB · Views: 15
  • BrunoLift2.jpg
    BrunoLift2.jpg
    288.8 KB · Views: 16

cjbearden

Visitor
RV Mods for Disabled

I know Lefty is still working on all the various mods he would like to have in his RV and look forward to seeing some pictures.

In our former BH 3400, I had installed a vertical grab bar at the top of the stairs in front of the pocket door on the right corner. It was white 2-3/4" PVC. The right corner edge was the only place with sufficent back bracing for that installation. In the commode room, a piece of 1 X 4 board the length of the wall in front of the stool was installed and painted oak color and to that another PVC grab bar was installed horizontally. We also exchanged the kiddie stool :)rolleyes:) for a high rise elongated stool and set it on another 3" riser. This provided the height I needed to easily sit and rise from the stool.

In our Augusta, a grab bar was already installed on the left wall of the stairway to the bedroom. Only change made was to again install a high rise elongated stool. This high-rise stool is normal home-style and did not require addition of the 3" riser. No grab bars in the bathroom but one would certainly come in handy. I am able to grab the pocket door edge of the corner column and that has come in handy. The wall to the right of stool (in seated position) is too flimsy because it contains a pocket door. The left is the shower so no way to install grab bar there.

We purchased a set of RV EZ Steps which makes it easier to get in and out of the RV.

Lefty has told me about the lab chair he uses in the kitchen and I am sincerely contemplating that addition (but then the DH might stop helping :mad:)! Perish the thought!

caokgafamily

Lefty,
I think this Handicampers is a great addition to this forum. After my spinal cord injury this past June I thought I would never walk again let alone RV like we use too. I spent 3 months in a wheel chair. Since I got back home this last Aug from the hospital we have been out 5 times camping, I'm very blessed to have this much recovery from a SCI ! I have a total different outlook on life. I'm amazed with the human spirit and how people just continue to live on with disabilities. Rv's are not to handicaped friendly. Most of the handicaped people I met just want to be treated just like anybody else. It's almost insulting to them to say how special they are. I had the hardest time getting in and out of the BH. I just kept working at it and it SLOWLY got better. I couldn't stand the thought of not being able to camp again with the kids! I use to get so mad about everybody trying to help me with everything. When we were down at FL for New Years I had my first big fall, me and my girls went for a slow walk around the campground and my oldest daughter tripped me. My body just smacked the road, I lied there laughing my head off realizing how much recovery I had made. The next day I walked 4 miles on a trail ! I hope I can have some good input on this part of the forum.

Last edited:

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
Thanks for your comments, Steve. Many of us just haven't been around people with physical disabilities, so we really don't know how to react.

I worked with a special needs scout troop several years ago, and one was physically challenged. However, with this scout, you had to do everything for him if moving him from his chair to a car seat, bed or whatever. I guess this would have been my natural reaction to all wheelchair-bound people.

I would rather do too much than not enough when I am in doubt. I hold the door open for my wife, even though I know she is perfectly healthy and can do it herself. I was just taught that it was the proper thing to do.

So, if I meet you someday, and I do something that you would not like me to do, please let me know. I will not be insulted - it will be part of my education.

Hope this makes sense.

caokgafamily

cdb,

I really don't consider my self hadicapped, I was just an idiot at home who fell 22' off a ladder. I do have a little insight in what its like be paralyzed, disabled or a paralegic. When I was at the Shepherd Center in Atlanta I met alot of people who were paralyzed from the neck down or waist down. I still have some dealings with paralyzed people and I approach them just like anybody else. When the occasion comes up for help, I just ask them what they need obviously opening doors etc is just common courtesy. I'm by no means an expert on disabilities, but the many people I've met and know with disabilities just to be treated normal.

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
Lefty,
I think this Handicampers is a great addition to this forum. After my spinal cord injury this past June I thought I would never walk again let alone RV like we use too. I spent 3 months in a wheel chair. Since I got back home this last Aug from the hospital we have been out 5 times camping, I'm very blessed to have this much recovery from a SCI ! I have a total different outlook on life. I'm amazed with the human spirit and how people just continue to live on with disabilities.

You've got people out there that want to blame everyone on two legs for their shortcomings. It's not your fault that I only have one leg. Why worry? This a inconvenience, not a tragedy and certainly not the end of life on earth as we know it. They pretty much figure that they can do and say anything they want to anyone they want and get away with it...cause who's gonna hit a cripple? That's easy... another cripple. I rang a two legged d00ds bell when he went crazy and attacked two nurses. I rolled my wheelchair up to him and commenced to whip his fanny. He never expected an attack from a white headed old man in a wheelchair. I lost my leg...that did not affect my manhood. I couldn't jump up and break his jaw...but, the mid section was fair game. A couple of whaps and he was at my height...and then I did my best to break it. Of course falling out of my chair on top of him had a little something to do with it too.

I'm not a life + lemons= lemonade type of guy. I get just as discouraged as any two legged entity. But, all I have to do is go to Walter Reed or VA Hosp Norfok...and realize that I got it easy. If they ever get my leg right, I'll walk. If that falls apart, then I'm in my chair. At least, I'm not blowing into a straw to get around. Some of those kids will never sit up without braces. Or feed themselves...or do anything normal again. I just can't feel sorry for myself or any other gimp. There is always someone worse off than me or you.

Rv's are not to handicaped friendly. Most of the handicaped people I met just want to be treated just like anybody else. It's almost insulting to them to say how special they are. I had the hardest time getting in and out of the BH.

Buddy, you should see me trying to get in and out of mine. I slither up and down the stairs and steps. I've got a transfer chair in the rv...an old wheelchair sitting outside the door...and my high speed low drag VA special in the back of the jeep. Off the chair, on the floor...off the floor onto the steps...down the steps one at a time...into the old chair...out to the truck...and off I go. Reverse that and I'm watching tv, eating Popeye's. It's not pretty. But, it can be entertaining for the kids! Remind me to tell you about my Vampire leg...Count Stumpula. Had a great halloween with my wooden leg and stump last year. Scared kids for blocks! I was voted the coolest old fart on Lennox Ave. I couldn't keep enough candy when word got around about the vampire in a wheelchair. I like kids...they ask some of the d*mnede** questions...and I answer them. Freaks some of the parents out..."I'm sorry, he doesnt know any better"...Well, I'm not.. he wanted to know and I told him. The more the kids know...the more the adults will tomorrow. Familiarity breeds acceptance.

Gimps fall and gimps bleed...and the straights fall and they bleed too. And, I still have to buy shoes by the pair..they won't sell 'em one at a time.

My body just smacked the road, I lied there laughing my head off realizing how much recovery I had made. The next day I walked 4 miles on a trail ! I hope I can have some good input on this part of the forum.

The earth still turns. The sun still comes up...it rains, it snows...and the wind still blows. Nothing has changed...it's still the same place as before I lost my leg. The change is in me. I'm the one with the handicap, not the rest of the world.

I will tell you one thing...come April I'm outta here. Me, my chairs, and two pitbulls. There's places I havent been and things I have not done YET. But, they are coming.

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
cdb,

I really don't consider my self hadicapped, I was just an idiot at home who fell 22' off a ladder. I do have a little insight in what its like be paralyzed, disabled or a paralegic. When I was at the Shepherd Center in Atlanta I met alot of people who were paralyzed from the neck down or waist down. I still have some dealings with paralyzed people and I approach them just like anybody else. When the occasion comes up for help, I just ask them what they need obviously opening doors etc is just common courtesy. I'm by no means an expert on disabilities, but the many people I've met and know with disabilities just to be treated normal.

You want to hold a door for me? Hey, I appreciate it. If I don't want the help you'll get a "Thanks guy, I got it...I need the practice" On the other hand, if I need help, I ask for it. I get the help...and you go away feeling good.

We both win.