Big Horn Jacks & Stabilizers

Triber

We are currently wintering in Yuma after travelling across Canada from BC to Nova Scotia and then down through the eastern US and across the south. During our 10000 mile journey, our '09 Big Horn has performed well for us except for the usual problems that beset all RVs from time to time.

We were very lucky on our trip, having excellent weather for the most part. We did have a couple of days when we travelled through heavy rains. When we set up here in Yuma, I discovered that because of the large opening where the front jacks go through the front basement floor, water had entered the basement causing some water damage. Also the floor of the basement was starting to rust. To prevent a recurrence of this, I made up a couple of gaskets from good quality carpet underlay. They fit snuggly around the jacks and don't interfere with the movement of the jacks but they seal the opening from outside weather. The gaskets are attached to the floor pan with self tapping screws and flat washers. I suspect the gaskets will also discourage rodents from getting into the basement.

The rear stabilizers worked fine until we got to Yuma. When I went to deploy them, the motor gave a couple of groans and quit. I checked the motor and discovered that the rubber seal around the supply wires had been pinched between the motor and frame when installed at the factory. I removed the motor and deployed the stabilizers with the hand crank. I removed one of the attaching bolts from the motor and a large amount of water ran out. A replacement is on its way from Heartland and be assured that I will make sure that it is sealed properly and installed properly. I would advise you to check your stabilizer electric motor and make sure it is properly sealed to avoid trouble down the road. Apparently this is an issue as a local RV dealer here in Yuma told me he has had no less than 4 inquiries about the failure of these motors on Big Horn stabilizers in the past month.