California Camping

bigredtruck

We are finally taking the plunge and going to Disneyland at Spring Break (I know it's a terribly busy time to go but I don't like the kids to miss school) We are taking the Cyclone (from Canada). Our first night will be in Medford, OR then we will head to Palm Springs to say hello to relatives before going to Anaheim.
Does anyone have suggestions for routes to take, places to stay etc? It's a bit of a whirlwind as we will be leaving Medford on Sat morning and want to be in Anaheim Monday afternoon, so we won't have time for sight seeing, but would like to at least take an interesting route and stay in a nice campground about halfway.
Thanks for any words of advice.

DennisZ

If you're in a hurry, I-5 is the way you most likely have to take, although not very scenic. I spot I saw a couple of years ago on a trip back home was the Kit Fox RV Park in Patterson, CA. (http://www.kitfoxrv.com/), it should be good for an overnight, and it's about half way down.

In Anaheim, I would stay at the Canyon RV Park (http://www.canyonrvpark.com/), we've had a So.Cal Rally there in the past and is one of my favorites. It's a little further drive to Disneyland, but worth the drive.

Have a nice trip

Dennis

azbound

An other option would be to take I 5 as fare as Sacramento then move over to Hwy 99 south to Bakersfield. There are a couple nice RV parks in Bakersfield. We like to stay at the Orange Grove RV park, it is on Hwy 58 about 8 miles east of Hwy 99. That would make your last day of travel a short trip.

Just a suggestion, enjoy the trip.

dtvista

It's 800 miles from Medford to Palm Springs, and then another 100 miles back to Disneyland. Wow...All this pulling a trailor in 2 1/2 days? If you must go to Palm Springs then Azbounds suggestion of using Hwy 99 south to Bakersfield, and then using Hwy 58 is a good one. You can bypass much of LA's traffic. Also the Orange Grove RV park is a great place to stop for the night. It's 5 1/2 to 6 hours from Sacramento.

bigredtruck

It's 800 miles from Medford to Palm Springs, and then another 100 miles back to Disneyland. Wow...All this pulling a trailor in 2 1/2 days? If you must go to Palm Springs then Azbounds suggestion of using Hwy 99 south to Bakersfield, and then using Hwy 58 is a good one. You can bypass much of LA's traffic. Also the Orange Grove RV park is a great place to stop for the night. It's 5 1/2 to 6 hours from Sacramento.

Can't say I am thrilled about it but DH loves to drive. I am still contemplating flying :)

Thanks for your suggestions. Our Palm Springs relatives (snowbirds) suggested the Bakersfield route as well. And if we dont get it done as quickly as we think, so be it!

Uncle Rog

As long as you have a "so be it" in there you will be ok. There is no easy route to take the trip you are planning, just enjoy the ride and the scenery. The Canyon RV Park is a good spot to drop a hook and head for the "tragic kingdom". The only downside is the traffic in the AM and PM hours. If you are spending all your time at the park(s) here is a link for the concrete camping spots nearby...........might make more sense to be walking distance from your target................

http://www.wdwinfo.com/disneyland/campsites.htm

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
I grew up in Medford and spend quite a bit of time there now. I don't know of any really good campgrounds in the area other than Valley of the Rogue which is about 15 miles north of Medford. It is a state rv park so you can make reservations online. There are some sorta decent KOAs along the freeway, but they aren't in great neighborhoods and would be noisy.

I have a site for camping near Disneyland that I bookmarked a while back. I don't know if its any good or not, but it doesn't look bad online. They claim to have discount tickets to the attractions in the area. Anaheim Camping RV Park is the place. It might be worth looking at.

Enjoy your trip. ou have more guts/patience than we do to do it at that time of the year.

Kristy

azbound

I'm with ziggy, Valley Of the Rogue State Park is excellent, Full hook ups with the exception of TV. If you have satellite that works if the tree's don't get in the way. It is a very nice park sitting between I 5 and the Rogue River.

bigredtruck

We are actually booked at the Anaheim RV Park. I would have chosen Canyon but our travelling companions want to be close to the park etc.
We are booked at the KOA in Medford. as it's only for overnight, we will leave it that way but will keep your suggestions bookmarked for future expeditions. DH and I are going to the Rally in Winchester Bay in June as well so will see more of your State.

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
Looking forward to seeing you at our rally! We can talk about routes to take when coming down for that later on.
Kristy

bigredtruck

Another question for the California people.
It has been suggested that we go see the Redwoods. Any ideas here? we will be heading north from Anaheim and obviously won't want any 'goat trails' that the Cyclone and truck can't handle. We've allowed 4 days to get home so can go a little ways off the I5

boatdoc

If you're going to do the Redwoods on the way home, go North on the 5 till 20 at Williams. It takes you over to the Coast, kinda. No problem with your rig as this is our alternate route when going or comming back from the desert. This year we got lucky and both ways were I-5 approved. You're going to see a bunch of REALLY BIG trees and don't let that one jump out and bite your rig, it's the one with all the scars on it. We have pulled that route many times and have never had a problem and we're a 3670 at 39' with the old 06' crewcab Ford at 22'.

Last edited:

bigredtruck

that is the information I was looking for. Friends all have different favourites but when I remind them that we are pulling a massive trailer, they change their tune. :)
Thanks very much. Only 1 more sleep.