Batwing, tv connection, & converter box

Hart

First, is it correct that the batwing antenna will require a converter box for the new digital reception? (even if TV is new/digital)

2. Does anyone know if the batwings used on North Trails are Winegard brand?

3. What is the function of the little red button that is located at the TV hookup?
Is it a distributor (services ALL tv hookups) or just a booster for that one TV
connection?

Thanks for any insight.......:)

SmokeyBare

If your TV is a High Deft... no, you don't need a converter box.

I believe the antenna is a Winegard batwing... but I could be wrong...

Red Button is the "ON" power button for the amplifier for the Antenna, it helps pull in the signal better in fringe areas.

jnbhobe

Hart; #1 you sould not need a converter box if using a TV with a digital tuner. #2 ,I don't know what brand the antenna is. #3, The button is an amplifier on the antenna line, that works on both antenna connections and pretty much has to be on for any reception. Hope that helps, JON ;) ;) ;)

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
The antenna is not the problem with the changeover to digital. It is the tuner on the TV. The TV must have a digital tuner either built in or hooked up to the TV such as a satellite receiver, cable receiver or stand alone digital tuner. It is my understanding the antennas on the newer RVs will receive a digital signal.

gmc

Reitired - California-Central Chapter Leaders
I live in calif. some of the tv stations in my area are already sending digital signals and my bat wing with the booster on was receiving an hd signal and the picture was fantastic.

jmgratz

According to the Wineguard site the newer "bat-wing" antennas are HD antennas. They will receive HD, digital and analog signals so there is no need to upgrade the antenna. Just remember you will not be able to view HD programs without a High-definition television.

Hart

Thanks for all the responses. We do have a new digital TV & '09 unit so we should be in good shape! I understand that the HD signal does provide great picture clarity.
We weren't sure if we needed a converter box to complement the batwing.
Thanks!!

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Just a side note. To view cable TV coming in through the UDC you have to switch the little red button switch off. This will bypass the amplifier and send cable to both TV's.

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
According to the Wineguard site the newer "bat-wing" antennas are HD antennas. They will receive HD, digital and analog signals so there is no need to upgrade the antenna. Just remember you will not be able to view HD programs without a High-definition television.

If you cut it right..you can get all three on a piece of wire! The Winegard antenna have been HD compatible for years.

Anybody know what the hd freqs are?

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist

If you cut it right..you can just about get all three on a piece of wire! The Winegard antenna have been HD compatible for years. A lot of the things being sold today don't really do much on gain, they look very techy...but, they are also high on the BS scale. In other words they are built to look very complicated but I can't find any tech notes to explain where they get their numbers from.

Here we go with that "DB Thang" again.

jmgratz

I think the HD freqs depend on the channel. Each channel has there own freqs. Im not sure what they are but the FCC website should have them.

Hart

Does anyone know if the batwings used on North Trails are Winegard brand?

OK, I am going to answer my own question in hopes it may benefit someone else.

Our North Trail antenna is NOT Winegard; it is called Signal Commander made by Anntenna Tek, Inc. Website: www.antennatek.com
The antenna is HD ready.

jmgratz

I believe all of the new batwings are HD/digital ready regardless of brand. If you were to buy or own an older SOB (some other brand) then you would have to check that one out.