Sundance 3300RLB Tow Vehicle Question

NTGuru

I have a customer looking to upgrade from his Cougar to a 09 Sundance 3300RLB. He is also in the market for a new truck.

He is interested in your opinions on trucks to purchase.

He is looking at getting a Ford F250 Super Duty Diesel. I assured him that it was plenty of truck to handle the 9800lb dry weight and the 1800lb hitch weight.

What are your opinions as Sundance owners?

Thanks
Tim Geier
Avalon RV Center
Medina Ohio

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I have always believed that you should get more truck than you need if you can afford it. Therefore I would at least get an F350. There is not that much difference in price and you have more towing capacity. If at all possible I would get the F450. Then whatever you get in the future you can tow it. My opnion.

jnbhobe

As Jim says buy all the truck you can afford. An F-350 raises the towing capacity but also the rear axel capacity because of higher capacity tires.That way you can always cover your pin weight legally.A dually gives great stabillity, but if its a daily driver too its hard to get around with. F-350 diesel, torqueshift, crewcab short bed nice truck. Just my 2 cents worth. JON ;) ;) ;)

Duramax1

A 2500 Silverado Duramax/Allison would handle that load with no problems whatsover. I am surprised that the F250 is not being touted as being equally capable.

truknutt

Committed Member
I assured him that it was plenty of truck to handle the 9800lb dry weight and the 1800lb hitch weight.

Thanks
Tim Geier
Avalon RV Center
Medina Ohio

Shouldn't you be looking at the Sundance's MAX GVW, versus the dry weight?

jnbhobe

How come dealers never want to talk about GVW or Combination Weight?? SALES !!!! Not whats best for the customer. You hit the nail on the head TrukNutt

truknutt

Committed Member
NTGuru,

Have your customer take a gander at the 2009 Ford Towing Guide. (This link will take him directly to the F-250/350/450 Fifth Wheel towing specs.)

He'll get more info needed to make an educated decision; engine, rear axle ratio, cab style, 4x2 vs. 4x4, etc.

IAW Heartland's online brochure, Sundance 3300RLB specs:
GVWR is 13,600 lbs / Hitch weight is 1,873 lbs. If you have updated numbers, by all means use them.

Hope this helps...

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
I have always believed that you should get more truck than you need if you can afford it. Therefore I would at least get an F350. There is not that much difference in price and you have more towing capacity. If at all possible I would get the F450. Then whatever you get in the future you can tow it. My opnion.

An F450 for a Sundance from thumbody pulling a Landmark with an F350:eek:None

Heck, why stop there, might as well get a TEREX Titan and never have to worry about what you can haul for the rest of your life.:D
IMG00054.jpg

roazo

Sundance Owner
I have never had a problem towing mine with a HD 3/4 ton truck. You would think a 3/4 ton Ford could do the same.

jmgratz

Now if I could afford one that is what I would tow with. I could carry my boat in the truck bed

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
Now if I could afford one that is what I would tow with. I could carry my boat in the truck bed

Well the bed's big enough to hold 2 greyhound busses and 2 pickups so you could get the boat and the Landmark with the TV's still hooked up for easy loading and unloading;).

jmgratz

I bet the other traffic would get out of my way. If not I could just let them pass between my wheels. Just have to watch for overpasses.

NTGuru

Now that's a BIG truck. Just for the record, we sales guys DO take into consideration the GVW and not just the dry weight. Most 2500 truck can handle a 13,000 GVW. For instance, Dodge 2500 Quad Cab 2WD 6.7L Turbo Diesel is pull 13,300 lbs. I just wanted to get your opinion's on what you had since your the ones out there pulling them everyday! Thank's a lot for all of your replys.

I have a 2008 F250 Lariat CC 4X4 6.4L Diesel and had it weighed the other day. It weighed 7900 with almost a full tank and me not in it. Its still pretty much a stock truck since I have added nothing to it to give it extra weight.

If you go based on a GVWR of 10000, then I have 2100 left. Subtract Me, Wife, daughter and the dog and you have 1650 left for the 5th wheel hitch and pin weight. If you want to stay under GVWR as recommended you are limited on your choices.

I am thinking now that I should have gotten F350 instead. I have read others seem to be fine going over the GVWR as long as all other weights are fine such as GCWR, GAWR and Tire Rating.

If you customer has not made a decisoin you should have them look at this.

Last edited: