Oven pilot won't stay lit

rickbsgu

rickbsgu
Title pretty much says it - I light it, it stays on for a bit, and then goes out. It stays on long enough that I've lit the oven, but after I turn off the oven, it goes out, again. (I'm leaving the dial on the 'pilot' setting.)

So, I have a workaround - I can use the oven if I light it each time. Annoying, but not debilitating.

I've used this type of oven a lot, before - never had any problems (this is a new 3650RL, BTW.)

Any thoughts? Or just run it back to the dealer?

thanx,
rickb

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
This might sound like a dumb question, but do you hold the button in long enough after the pilot lights, to set the pilot thermocouple? If yes then I would suspect a bad thermocouple or misallignment of it. Happy baking.
Peace
Dave

SmokeyBare

First thought... when the oven is turned off, the pilot light is also turned off.

Second thought... all gas pilots have a safety built in. A thermocouple that senses the presents of flame... which allows the gas valve to then open and the burner to operate. IF the thermocouple has failed OR if the flame is not reaching the thermocouple... the gas valve will not operate.

As you said, you've used this type before... so I'd be looking at the thermocouple being the problem.

jpmorgan37

Rick;

Is the thermocouple in the pilot flame where it get the full impact of the flame? It might be that it is too far away from the flame and it causes the pilot to go out. The other thing is that if the pilot flame is too small, it won't keep the thermocouple hot enough. If neither of these, replace the thermocouple.

John

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
rickb, from what you say, it sounds as if you are doing everything normal. You are leaving the dial set to pilot and it still goes out. The oven wouldn't even light if the thermocouple was bad. Somethings is strange but I have no idea what. I like the last option, Back to the dealer sorry to say.

nemo45

if you have an Atwood Wedgewood visions stove, I may have a solution to your problem. We put up with the same problem for three years in our Open Road. Recently I talked with a lady that had the same problem and she solved it by turning the knob to pilot then removing the knob and pushing the shaft all the way in and holding it for one minute after lighting the pilot. Apparently the front trim, with the knob on, was not allowing the shat to go in far enough to allow the heat from the thermocouple to get to the valve. Of course you replace the knob so you can adjust the oven temp. I had replaced the thermal couple and thermostat valve to no avail until trying this trick. The pilot has stayed lit every time I've tried it, at least five times, since getting this information.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I know this sounds dumb, but I thought I had the same problem....

I would take and light the pilot. I would then turn the knob further to light the oven burner. Lookin Goooood... Wife would turn the oven off.. All the way off.. The pilot will go out. If you want to keep the pilot lit you don't turn the knob all the way just to where the pilot stays lit and the oven burner goes off.

We don't normally leave the pilot running. It will give off enough heat in the trailer and run the propane out after a while. So now I light the pilot each time and don't fuss..

I hope your not doing the same thing as me.

rickbsgu

rickbsgu
Hey, it suddenly started working.

Must have just taken some time for it to figure out it was supposed to work. Will take the oversized knob flange into consideration, though, and other thoughts.

Thanx,
rickb

Shadowchek

I had the same problem. I am an hvac contractor/tech so I see similar problems a lot. The problem was that the pilot was turned up too high so it blows itself out. I know it sounds crazy but there is an adjustement by the oven controll under the stove top. you can turn the adjustment screw slightly to the right just enough to slightly reduce the flame. after I did that it hasn't went out. I can't remember for sure but you might be able to get to that adjustment screw if you remove the stove controll knob. some of them have a small access hole behind the knob. It takes a small flat head screw driver to make the adjustment.

Greg

nemo45

Hey, it suddenly started working.

Must have just taken some time for it to figure out it was supposed to work. Will take the oversized knob flange into consideration, though, and other thoughts.

Thanx,
rickb

It's not an oversized knob flange. The trim on the front of the stove is too far away from the valve body not allowing the knob to go in far enough. I suppose you could fix this by slotting some of the holes in the trim piece itself so it could be pushed closer to the valve, but its so easy just to pull the knob off and put it back on after the pilot is lit that I'm not going to bother with it.

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
I had the same problem. I am an hvac contractor/tech so I see similar problems a lot. The problem was that the pilot was turned up too high so it blows itself out. I know it sounds crazy but there is an adjustement by the oven controll under the stove top. you can turn the adjustment screw slightly to the right just enough to slightly reduce the flame. after I did that it hasn't went out. I can't remember for sure but you might be able to get to that adjustment screw if you remove the stove controll knob. some of them have a small access hole behind the knob. It takes a small flat head screw driver to make the adjustment.

Greg

How big should it be? Mine works fine AFTER you get it lit..but, getting the blasted thing to show fire after you put a match to it is DIFFICULT. It seems to be about 2/3 smaller than any stove pilot light I've ever seen.

Goldenwingers

goldenwingers
We have had the same problem with the oven in the last two trailers we have owned, finally got it fixed in the first trailer but have never gotten the one in the Landmark to stay lit. It will burn long enough to get the oven started and so far will stay lit until we are through baking but after we turn the oven off (back to pilot) it will go out within a few hours. This is better than on the first two ovens that were put in it they would go out and the oven would quit cooking in the middle of baking. This one at least is usable so we left well enough alone. Seems to be a common problem.

Don

Shadowchek

They are really small a little bit bigger than the size of a wooden match head . It could be too low also. you shouldn't be able to hear it. If you can or if it is jetting out it is too high.

Greg