Dodge needs driving lights

beardedone

Beardedone
I have an 08 Dodge diesel with fog lights. The high beams are terrible and the slow learners at Dodge haven't figured it out as my 04 was just as bad. (I bought the truck for the motor). I need aux. driving lights and would like to know what everyone is using, if any. One caveat I have is that they cannot protude past my front bumper as I only have 1/2" to spare when I close the garage door and I don't want the lights to be bumper stops. Any suggestions and/or pictures would be greatly appreciated.

truknutt

Committed Member
bearedone,

I found this kit from PUTCO (part # PUT960007) It appears to be a kit of brighter replacement bulbs.

Link (AutoTruckToys.com)

I'm not familiar with how the Dodge fog Light switch is wired...does your switch allow the "fog lights" to be on with both low & high beam? On my 2001 F-250 the fog lights get their power from the low beams while on my 2003 F-350 & DW's 2005 Explorer the fog/driving lights work with low beam, high beam and NO beam!!

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I bought a set of driving lights for a Chevy Van I used when I had a pop up camper. They were halogen lamps. The instructions told me how to connect them. I added a toggle switch on the dash so that when I flipped the switch the lamps would come on. However I made the connection so that they would go off if you switched to low beam headlights. I would highly suggest that you do this also. When going down the highway you may forget that you have the halogen lamps on and blind the on coming driver.

I don’t remember where I got them but they clamped on top of the front bumper and did not extend beyond the front bumper.

Here is a URL with some driving lamps. I like the rectangle lights on the bumper better than I do the round ones. If you don’t have room on the bumper you might try a lamp bar on top if you have clearance in the garage.

http://www.buyautotruckaccessories.com/categories.cfm/cf-bin/cn.driving-lights/gid.101005003/

SLJKansas

SLJKansas
If you have room either on top or under your bumper, I would mount them there. I would not use clamp type mounts, unles they got beter than the ones I tried they won't stay in place. I would drill holes in the bumper to mountthe lights. Also I would use a relay kit to supply 12v from the battery. By using a relay you can use smaller wiring for the switch and have the larger gauge wire suppling the driving lights.

I had a van that I wired up driving lights on and had a on-off-on switch wired in to supply two sources of power. One side was wired to the high beams, so when they could be turned on with the high beams. The other was a switched source, so I could run them with the low beams or on without the headlights being on.

I think the laws in most state that the driving lights can not be on with high beams. I say this because of the way my truck is setup from factory. If this is true then I would tap the low beam voltage instead of the high beam.

It really worked well, was simple to install once you found you power sources.

If interested I could draw up a diagram of how I had it wired. I would have to look at a relay to remember the labeling of the relay. Send me a PM and I get one worked up.