What is the right truck for my Bighorn 3055RL?

jcochran

I currently own a Chevy Duramax 2500 and have been reading these threads for a while. After reading all that I can read I have determined that i am over the capacities with just a 3/4 ton. Are the 1 ton SRW Dodge and Chevy crew cabs sufficient tow vehicles for an normally loaded 3055 RL or do I really need a dually? I was also considering a used F450 just for the load and braking abilities. Some great deals on used trucks in almost all the above. Some expert advise would be appreciated.

Thanks

dtvista

Your 3/4 Ton Duramax should be fine. If you say you are normally loaded there nothing wrong with your truck. Many 3055 owners including me use a 3/4 truck with no trouble. See the earlier post //heartlandowners.org/images/misc/tag.png what does your 3055RL weigh?.

Dave

2010augusta

I would not call myself an expert, but I looked at a lot of trucks, weights,and numbers before buying our Landmark. The Chevys have the lowest tow capacity. Dodges were close to 14,000 if equipped with the 4:10 gears. I could not find a crew cab dually with 4;10 in all of Colorado at the time. The Fords 350 were also capable, but the 16,000+ of the Landmarks left very little safety margin. I found the 450 in Pueblo at a price to good to pass. The utility bed is wonderful. the storage and security in the compartments is much better than a standard truck bed. I also like the added stability of the dually. I have towed the 39 feet of Landmark in a good cross wind and felt no wiggle at highway speeds. The added blowout protection of the dually is also nice. With a little practice I can get the 450 into almost any parking spot. the choice is yours but but think about safety and future upgrades.

just my $0.02

ct0218

Chevy's had the lowest tow capacity? The Chevy's have a GVWR of 23,500, and a loaded 4x4 dually weighs about 8000, which leaves 15,500.

gdog

gdog
We have an 09 3055 and pull it with an 07 3/4 ton classic with the duramax.
I could not be happier.
This truck is fine for the fifth wheel you have.
gdog

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
I would think your truck would be fine as well. Based on our experience with our 3370, which is a heavier dry weight, fully loaded, and I mean loaded, we were only a couple hundred pounds over with our 3/4 ton Ford. It handled well, stopped OK, but that year Ford had a trans issue and we found we were yanking the transmission out of it.
Having gone thru this recently, I will offer the advice that if you think you might upgrade in the future, just go ahead and get the bigger truck now. We wound up with a 1 ton dually and couldn't be happier about the way it tows now.