The kitchen sink just keeps leakin' along...

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
A friend and I spent the evening pulling the plumbing out from under the kitchen sink and pulling the sink out of the cabinets. Teflon tape is a wonderful thing. We taped every joint under the sink. We removed the two drains to find that there were no gaskets or plumbers putty being used between the drain and the sink. There was no caulking around the sink. And that one side of the sink was not touching the countertop by about 1/8 inch.

We taped the joints and tightened them with a strap wrench. Caulked around the unside of the countertop and sink...then took a 2X4 and a bottle jack and pushed the sink flush...gushy caulking. Replaced 3 of the clips holding the sink to the countertop. Those had been overtightened and stripped out. Possibly by some gorilla trying to force the sink flush with the counter. Put putty between the sink and drain. Tightened those up...the drains had not been seated properly.

And, then checking every inch of pipe and water line for other problems. Now, let's see what happens next. The kitchen sink has been a source of frustration since day one.

I really hope this fixes it.

hillsonwheels

Had the same exact issues with our kitchen plumbing...no putty or gaskets between strainer baskets and sink, leaks at all joints in drain line and leaks at both hot and cold water supply line hookups to the faucet. Thought we were the only ones to be blessed :confused: with bad quality control. Managed to fix all the above as you have. :) Now fighting a leak in the basement where street supply connects to a manifold. Have been pricing the tool required to replace the PEK? clamps used to seal all the water line tubing. Talk about sticker shock! $113 for a glorified pair of pliers. :eek:

My leak is in a plastic elbow. Either not enuff teflon tape or the elbow is cracked. No matter the problem, I have to remove one of those clamps :( so I can tighten/replace the elbow. Anyone know of a cheap source for those clamp ring pliers???????

hillsonwheels

John---Thanks for input. Have just now really started to try to sort out the problem. Got the area uncovered before having to return to a flooring project I'm doing for some good friends in their stix and brix. Hope to get back to the "leak" later this week.

Gonna get to meet you folks in Goshen?

Dick

kkamshop

We're just finishing up a redo of the insulation in our underbelly due to a leak.

We took out the screws on the coroplast from the entry steps to about 6 feet behind the rear axle, pulled out the wet insulation, dried the foil bubble liner, checked all the fresh and drain lines and the tanks for leaks, put new insulation in, and now all that's left is buttoning up the underbelly.

We used the encapsulated insulation - 3 1/2 in R-13 - so if it does leak again, maybe we wont have to replace so much of it.

We decided to do the work ourselves as it was little $$ and lots of labor - so now we know it's done right. :)

Good luck to all with leaks!