Fresh water tank size

RVerFulltime

Fulltiming Since 2004
Is the 2010 Landmark fresh water tank actually 92 gallons (92 tank + 12 hot water heater = 104 gallons the brochure lists)?

Is the 2010 Big Horn fresh water tank 75 gallons? Or do I have to subtract 12 gallons for the hot water heater meaning the fresh water tank is 63 gallons?

mountainlovers76

Mississippi Chapter Leaders
I do not think the hot water heater is included in the fresh water tank capacity...someone else may know for sure. I have a Bighorn with the 75 gallon fresh water tank but I can only get about 60 gallons of usable water from it. I believe two things cause that: 1. Even with the vents it still traps some air so the tank will not fill completely to the 75 gallon capacity. 2. The rounded tank bottom drops lower than the outlet so it will not let the tank use all available water in it.

Dragoon

Actually, a lot of manufacturers, if not all, DO include the water capacity of the hot water tank in the capacity ratings. To be sure, check with Heartland. Hope this helps...

tcbrady

Yes, the fresh water tank capacities on the Landmark and Bighorn do include the 12 gallon water heater (i.e.the Bighorn has 63 gallon fresh water tank plus a 12 gallon water heater tank for a total of 75 gallons).

RVerFulltime

Fulltiming Since 2004
Yes, the fresh water tank capacities on the Landmark and Bighorn do include the 12 gallon water heater (i.e.the Bighorn has 63 gallon fresh water tank plus a 12 gallon water heater tank for a total of 75 gallons).

Thank you for the quick reply! :)

RVerFulltime

Fulltiming Since 2004
Landmark fresh water tank size

According to Tim Kauffman, Midwest Rep. for Heartland, even though Heartland advertises the 2009 - 2010 Landmark with having 104 gallon fresh water capacity; the actual tank size is 85 gallons. The 85 gallon tank is huge compared to most competitors.:)

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Intresting thread. I did not know the hot water heater is included as part of the fresh water calculations. To me that would be like having a truck with a 38 gallon fuel tank and then add 2 - 5 gallon cans in the bed and say it can carry 48 gallons. This is not a slam just a difference of what is ment when you say it carrys so many gallons of fresh water. Hum...

On comment about carrying fresh water. I find that most of the trailers when loaded for fulltime or long vacation travel will have enough of a load that unless you are going to boondock you should not fill your fresh water tank when traveling. I have read on one of the forums that a full fresh water tank not only adds weight you have to tow but the bounce while going down the road can, but not always, cause the supports under the tank to bow or break and you can loose the tank or puncture it.

We normally use the fresh water to give us use of the toilet while on the road and clean when fresh water is not available and carry only about a 3rd of a tank.

Well that is my 2¢’s worth…

wfwilson

Founding Canadian Region Director - Retired
I am glad to see Coley Brady has cleared up the questions of the size of the Fresh Water tanks. I have been asking that questions for a while. We like to boondock so water is an issue with us. People on the forum have had issues with fresh water tanks. Most people dont seem to be concerned as they do not fill water tanks. I feel it is like the fuel tank on a light planes it is not the tank size but useable amount that counts.

RVerFulltime

Fulltiming Since 2004
Boondocking with larger water tanks

We like to boondock so water is an issue with us.

We have been known to be in areas in the West for a couple weeks without utilities (electric, water, sewer). We use solar for electric. The fresh water and black tanks are always the issue for us. So, working with Heartland, we recently ordered a Bighorn 3600RL with a LANDMARK frame and water tank upgrade. This LANDMARK water tank upgrade with its increased water capacity on our Bighorn will be a great benefit to us.

Boondocking is not what it used to be....
In the middle of nowhere looking at a mountain we want to hike with no utility hook-ups, we live in comfort in these beautiful self-contained RVs enjoying crystal clear Digital TV (DTV) and Verizon broadband internet. Ahhhh...Life is GOOD! :)