On-going tire issue

Flyfish4m

I'm really struggling with making a decision on whether or not to buy new tires. I currently have Freestars FS574 G load, got a price today for GY 614's @ $295 mounted and balanced, plus $50 for trade in on each of my Freestars since they are new.Of coarse you hear horror stories on ''chinese bombs'' you would think that every RV that has the '' bombs'' we would be seeing RV's all over the side of the road.Interesting fact that the Freestars weigh 4lbs more than the GY, and on another forum that was a big deal about how the US tires weigh more than the bombs. Dont get me wrong I Love my country and am not supporting chinese made products vs. US products, bottom line is $$$, but I wonder if I'm over- reacting. I'm sure some of you have the same tires any happy customers on either tire?
By the way the BC 3550TSL with the loft is awesome for anyone considering bunks.We love it.:D

Last edited:

Dave

Traveling Two
I think the question one must face and determine is the importance and level of confidence and peace of mind you need to either have cheap tires or a high quality tire on your camper. Another factor is you and your familys safety. Maybe if you camper once a month and don't travel long distances you might consider pressing your luck. Its kind of a mind game for some. In our case we do travel a lot and usually on I-95 going through South Carolina around Florence the roads are tough so I'm going to change out my OEM tires and put Michelins on our new camper. My choice is tougher because I have read in this forum that some campers have gotten several thousand miles out of the same tire I have but I'm going to change them out anyway. Good luck.

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
Freestars here, no problems so far since Oct. 2007. Have several thousand miles on them. We do watch pressure religiously and inspect the complete tire before every trip. We're not overloaded and we drive between 60-65. We usually only drive 3-4 hours at a time max.
Two funny stories for you. Friend has the original "bomb" Mission tires. He never checks pressure, drives like a bat out of you know where, and has never had a problem. He's due. We've had two blow-outs on our A, both with 16" Michelin XPS rib. Go figure? :)

dreamer

Tires

I have Chinese Mission tires with 18000 miles and one problem with a sharp piece of shale puncturing one tire. I have had bad problems with carlise tires on a previous trailer and am very sensitive to tire issues and safety. I purchased the pressure pro tire monitoring system and am very happy with it. When we were alarmed that the tire had a problem there was still 72 lbs of air left in it. If we had not have had the system we would never have known we had a problem till too late. I think many blow outs start as a slow leak and at a certain reduced pressure the tire becomes overloaded for the pressure and blows.Your Goodyear tires are still susceptible road hazzards.:)

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
I am one of the lucky ones to have the Mission Tires on my rig. Have driven the E rated tire at 80PSI for 11,000 miles so far but have been hearing so many horror stories I was looking into the G rated Goodyear 614's or the Michelin XPS E rated. I have 6,000 lb axles and discovered it can handle 3750 lbs and the G rated max 110 PSI if I wanted, but would probably run them in the 90's. 3 different tire companies said the G rated is alot better as its a 14 ply, however they all warned me against it as it creates a rough ride. So now I am in a quandry what to do. I am all ears.

Flyfish4m

Larry,
I may be comparing apples to organges, but when I compare my BC to my last 5ver, huge difference in the ride.The BC has the Equa-flex suspension which makes a difference, but it did'nt take long to notice the difference between the two. I am very happy with the way it tows, have no complaints on the tires, just not sure if I trust them.Seriosly thinking about investing in a pressure pro monitoring system.Good luck.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
One of the very best investments we have made is in the tire pressure monitoring system. We have the Doran system which is very similar to the Pressure Pro. Doran made the Pressure Pro until a couple of years ago when they began producing one under their own name. The Doran system is a few bucks cheaper and allows you to set the baseline pressure which the Pressure Pro does not. But basicly they are the same and they both accomplish the same thing.

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
One of the very best investments we have made is in the tire pressure monitoring system. We have the Doran system which is very similar to the Pressure Pro. Doran made the Pressure Pro until a couple of years ago when they began producing one under their own name. The Doran system is a few bucks cheaper and allows you to set the baseline pressure which the Pressure Pro does not. But basicly they are the same and they both accomplish the same thing.

My new truck came with a built in tire monitoring system. How good it's going to be towing a trailer is open for debate.

truknutt

Committed Member
My new truck came with a built in tire monitoring system. How good it's going to be towing a trailer is open for debate.

Hey Lefty,

That's only for the truck though, correct? Wouldn't it be neat if by hooking in the umbilical of the 5er that you could also monitor its tires as well on the truck's display?!. Any engineers out there looking to market a product for the Chev/GMC camps? :rolleyes:

tkdmike

Know what you mean about the tires. IN another SOB fifth wheel we had a couple of blow-outs and tread separations. The tire manufacturer/U.S. dealer made the warranty good and paid for the body repairs to both sides of the trailer. They also replaced the tires. But, its made me a bit nervous and the BH is 6K lbs heavier so I really don't want a blow out and to go through the whole headache again.

I found the GY G614s online for $218 a piece and am waiting for them to arrive. I'll change them out and do all the tire maintenance I normally do.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Lefty
Is the monitor system integrated into the truck. Did you request it or was it added by requirement. It is like a lot of things now days. Someone is always wanting to take care of us and we have to pay for it even if we don't want it. All of GM Autos have the dimmed headlights when your headlights are not on.

Can it be disabled. I heard that places like Discount Tire and such can not remove the sensors.

Larryheadhunter

I have bought but not installed Pat McFall's Pressure Pro as you need steel valve stems and the Mission tires are rubber stem.
Still would like to know if its worth it to go for the rougher ride with G rated tires or stay with the E rated Michelin XPS.

lwmcguir

Go with the Goodyears G614 and run the air pressure based on the load per axle/side. Have used them for many years with great luck hauling Cattle and Farm/Ranch products on much heavier loads than Fifth Wheel Campers. Have them on our Augusta as well. Great Tires. Best you can buy. Larry

Larryheadhunter

I went with the G rated Goodyear 614's this summer and when a Lippert spring broke in Tillammok, OR I thank god I had those tires instead of the Mission Tires that could have blown. Instead we got some sticky tires from the frame resting on those new tires. I did have to replace one, but am pleased that I have those 614's. Got those steel nutted stems and am just waiting to put on those Pressure Pros that I have owned for over a year but had that same problem of rubber stems on the Mission tires that are sitting in a junk yard in Fresno, CA and Tillamook OR.

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Lefty
Is the monitor system integrated into the truck. Did you request it or was it added by requirement. It is like a lot of things now days. Someone is always wanting to take care of us and we have to pay for it even if we don't want it. All of GM Autos have the dimmed headlights when your headlights are not on.

Can it be disabled. I heard that places like Discount Tire and such can not remove the sensors.
I realize this an old thread and you probably have your answer but I thought I would throw in my 2 cents.
The system on the GM can not be disabled. The sensors can be removed although ONstar sends you hate emails telling you your tire pressure is wrong and you must service your TPMS.
If you take off the sensors, you will have to scroll through info center on the truck every time you start it otherwise it also tells you to service the system.

The little idiot light stays on all the time. I wish I knew the system could not have been disabled-I would not have removed the sensors when I put Michelins on.

I did install the PP system. No comparison between the two systems. PP tells you actual pressure-the Gm system just tells you a tire is low.

bill40

Fred,
I have the same G rated as yours, talked to a guy out here in CA before we left. he has 12000 on his keeps the pressure at 110 not what the dealer said 80psi. I was worried about the Freestars but after talking to him and several othres I figured I give it a try. Won't know if it was the right choice till the end of the trip. Trailer is not overloaded and I don't run over 60mph regardless of the posted limit. Most places out here is 70 to 75. Should be in Simi some time today.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Fred,
I have the same G rated as yours, talked to a guy out here in CA before we left. he has 12000 on his keeps the pressure at 110 not what the dealer said 80psi. I was worried about the Freestars but after talking to him and several othres I figured I give it a try. Won't know if it was the right choice till the end of the trip. Trailer is not overloaded and I don't run over 60mph regardless of the posted limit. Most places out here is 70 to 75. Should be in Simi some time today.

At a tire seminar we attended at the last Escapade where the presenter was a long time Goodyear tire engineer/designer we were told to run the Goodyear 614 at 110 all the time. Reason is because your load always changes in an RV i.e. you are loaded, unloaded, partly loaded, tanks full, tanks empty, overweight, underweight etc. He said the tires are designed to be run at 110 psi. So that is what we do.

rjr6150

Where did you find them that cheap? How much is the freight?
Thanks

Give Nebraska tire a call haivng mine put on for $250 per tire. With tax and everything 4 tires will be $1,110.99 comes out to $277 per tire. Goodyear has a $25 per tire rebate unitl end of month so final cost will be $911.00 out the door.:)

Delaine and Lindy

Goodyear G614's...

We have ran G614's on 4 of our 6 5th wheels. The most miles we put on the G614's was on our Cambridge 22,000 miles and showed very little miles. I would highly recomend the G614's and they are made in the USA. We are running Goodyear G114's on 17.5" rims and so for they are running very smooth. I also ran 110 lb of air in each tire. But I alway run what ever the side wall calls for. We have the Pressure Pro System and look at each tire before each movement. The Goodyears seems to run cooler if you keep the Air pressure up. As we all know heat is a major problem for tires. GBY....