PDI Tomorrow any advice

Hello everyone,
Me and my wife are purchaseing a 2009 2998RB tomorrow. I was just wundering what things to look at more closely. The main one to check is all the water fittings, but what else?

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Try everything. If you have a satellite dish try it out to be sure the receiver and dish works. Try boiling some water in the microwave. Make sure all of the doors close and lock as they are supposed to. Be sure all of the lights work. Try the fireplace (if so equipped), and the furnace. Try the air conditioner. Turn on the refrigerator, both on electric and propane. Do not try the water heater unless it is full of water or you will burn out the element, so fill it then try it. Take your time and check it closely. If possible spend the night in it at the dealership, and make a note of everything you find wrong. Climb on the roof and check the caulking around the front and rear caps and all of the vents. Try the shower and see if it works. Try the toilet (flush it), all the sinks. Try all of the slides in and out. Raise and lower the blinds. Open the windows. Try the landing gears and rear stabilizers. Like I say, try EVERYTHING. Write down everything you find wrong, and you keep a list and give the dealer a list. Visually inspect the coach inside and out. Check to be sure the slides go all the way out so the floor is flat. If not they need to be adjusted. Be sure you cannot see light around the slides when they are out. Check the rubber gaskets on the slides. Be sure the facia trim around the windows and slides are stapled on and not loose. Be sure you get the spare tire tool and manual slide tools. Again CHECK EVERYTHING.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Here is a link to a list posted by jpmorgan37 last April. It may be of some help to you. The search tool can also be very helpful.
Peace
Dave

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?t=5322&highlight=pdi

2010augusta

if possible have them remove the panel in the storage bay and take a look around the "guts" in the service bay while checking ALL the water fittings. take note of water pump, converter, relay switch and other appliance locations. if so equipped look for ice maker operation, mine was unplugged from 110volt and had the water shut off in the service bay. if you have W/D make sure it is hooked up and works.

jpmorgan37

michiganDSL;

Rule #1. Don't rush it. Take a video camera or at least a tape recorder. As you go through, take notes on everything, unless you have a wonderful memory. Not just concerns, but just operation and location of everything. Plan on spending a minimum of four hours and the more time you can spend, the better. A pad and pencil to note any problems and masking tape to mark any specific areas of concern. After all that, welcome to the Heartland family and I hope you have many years of enjoyment in your new RV.

John

Barry & Alana

There sure is some really good information posted here. The other couple of things we would mention to check is - the roof - make sure there are no cuts or slices in the rubber roof and or tears. (we had cuts in 2 units we've owned and water & rain comes inside) Get them to check it and you also go up and look. And - take pictures of the bottom of the unit. After 2 seasons - we had 3 broken schackels.

HAve fun and enjoy you new unit!

kkamshop

Ditto on the remove the panel to check the fittings - ours was "tested" twice which left us with a lot of water in the belly!

Our Augusta had a cracked elbow on the t right behind the city water inlet.

Enjoy your new rig!

bigredtruck

DH did something to my computer so I lost the link to the PDI list that we used. Google 'rv pdi' and there are bound to be lots of lists. Take a DVD and watch the whole thing. there have been issues with the player overheating half way thru a movie. walk around in the shower. DH was able to spend a night in the RV at Lakeshore RV (dealer), so was able to run everything. Good luck. We love our Cyclone.

truknutt

Committed Member
Ditto to everything you have read here. Get the PDI checklist.

Take a DVD,
CD,
If there is a 12volt plug have a way to try that out,
Have a small 110 volt device to try out each outlet (exterior, basement)
Ensure the ceiling fans are operational
Light the stove & oven
Even if the water heater is drained, fill it and run it.
Have them explain the by-pass valves (ours has 3)
Run both water systems; city & water pump/tank
We have a 2 piece shower stall; check seam for leaks
Not sure your reefer type but have them explain its operation both electric and gas
Have them explain the LP regulator setup
water pipe connections

These were our problem areas.

Above all don't let the dealer lead YOU through the inspection...with the checklist inhand YOU lead therefore you won't miss anything.

Good luck and enjoy!

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
One other thing I forgot to mention. Believe it or not they ( the dealer) charge you for a PDI. It is built into your price and can be anywhere from $100-$1000, depending on the dealer. So, get what you pay for. Do not let them rush you. Be sure to understand the operation of the unit. Also be sure you get an owner's manual. We had to make them supply us with one and they said it was not usually supplied.