Handicampers Forum Now Open

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
The discussion section of the Handicampers area is now open for business. I'm still trying to get the other areas completed. But, that is still going to take a lot of work.

Thanks for your patience.

truknutt

Committed Member
Lefty;

Just found this article. If you want to move it to another place, let me know. It is that the VA is going to re-open enrollment to 265,000 vets that have been kicked out (like me) or disallowed, by July of 2009. http://www.military.com/features/0,15240,182858,00.html

John

You do mean that you were "kicked out" of the VA system 'cause you are an "income endowed" kinda guy, correct? :rolleyes: I was hoping you weren't "kicked out" of the service...That would start a whole new line of posts beginning with "What did YOU do John Morgan?" :D:D

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
John,
If you are service-connected for your disability, the VA provides services for life, like it does for me. If anyone needs any help with the VA, my 86 year old Dad shot in WWII and a 100%er, is good friends with some bigshots there, so I might be able to connect you to the right people. I, myself am going thru the appeal process right now to increase compensation, thru the Medal of Purple Heart Society, which has an office in every VA, and you don't have to have a purple heart to utilize their services. My dad was the treasurer for them for several years.

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
John,
If you are service-connected for your disability, the VA provides services for life, like it does for me. If anyone needs any help with the VA, my 86 year old Dad shot in WWII and a 100%er, is good friends with some bigshots there, so I might be able to connect you to the right people. I, myself am going thru the appeal process right now to increase compensation, thru the Medal of Purple Heart Society, which has an office in every VA, and you don't have to have a purple heart to utilize their services. My dad was the treasurer for them for several years.

The VA provides care only for those ailments that are service connected. They can and will refuse to treat non-service connected ills. The amount of treatment is based on your category.

My understanding is that you get full medical treatment if you are 30% or higher regardless of your category. There are many service organizations that will assist you in your paperwork process. The DAV has an office at the VA hospital here in Norfolk. They provided transportation for the vets to and from the hospital.

I can't stress highly enough the importance of getting some represntation whether it's DAV, VFW, American Legion, or The Sisters of Sarah. Your reps can get face to face with the VA and that can make all the difference in the world.

That said, if you can prove the need...no money, no insurance, etc...there are other ways to get some compensation. It's like a pension instead of compensation. The laws are there. You just have to know how to use them. There are state run Veterans Homes, as well as two Old Soldiers Homes. Again, assistance is there...you just have to play the game to get it.

Any way you cut it, if it goes into the appeal process, it's going to take years to get resolution. I've been in the mill since 2001, won some, lost some, and tied a couple of times.

Right now, my appeal is based on the start time of my compensation. I say 2001...the VA says 2005. They can't even produce the first denial letter...they admit that they lost their copy...but, because I can't produce my copy of their documentation, they denied my initial appeal. This is despite the fact that they were provided the date stamped copy of my initial application. No mention of that document in any correspondence from them...and definitely not in their latest denial letter.

I'm rated at 100% SMC S. And, yeah, I'm greedy. They owe me from day of application...and I'm going to get that $$$.

jpmorgan37

Thanks guys, but I have no service related disabilities. And between my three insurance policies, I am well taken care of. I just recently found out that I get much better prescription drug coverage through Walgreens Pharmacy than I did through the VA (which is all that I was using with the VA) before they kicked me out. So, I don't even try now. Last year, when I reapplied to the VA, I never got a reply. Hopefully, this will get fixed for our veterans that need and deserve it. I am very fortunate and blessed because I don't need it.

Life is good. I'm not, just forgiven.

John

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
Handicampers == The Rest of the Forums

I have asked JimB to open up the rest of the forum for use. There are still some bare areas. But, they will get filled in as I get the information for various sources.

Have at it.