2009 Bighorn Slides

Labatdorf

Hi I have got a problem that I just can not find, If the slides are closed for a tiime they seem to open on there own. This has both my wife and I very worried.
I have had them come open a little going down the road.
Now that we have it in winter storage we go out every 2 weeks or so to make sure that they stay closed.

Has any one seen this or know a fix.

Thanks

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
Check out the Lippert link on the HOOT pages. (link at top of page)
The slide manuals have a couple troubleshooting ideas. I was checking out adjustment tech the other day and If I recall correctly, I think the "creeping" has to do with hydraulic pressure bleeding off. Hope this helps.

superduty08

Tennessee Chapter Leaders
I have had mine open a few inches while traveling on both sides. It doesn't happen very often but it does bother me that it happens. The first time the dealer made an ajustment and thought that was the fix. It is at the dealer for the second time to get this corrected. I let you know what they find when I pick it up next week.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I just had some exposure to a hydraulic slide unit on an SOB. A guy came into our park last week with his bedroom slide extended all the way out and his LR slide was out about 4". The story is, he had a major leak develop while trying to retract his slides. He was just involved in a motorcycle accident and was on crutches and pain killers. Because my wife works in our park office, she asked if I might be able to help him out. The leak was a damaged O ring. There was an aluminum manifold that I removed to find the culprit. The local Ace didn't have the right size but I was able to buy a larger one and cut it and superglue it to make a smaller one. He said he had been having trouble with his slides for a while. The o-ring was pinched between the surfaces and may have been leaking prior to it finally giving way. You may have the same type problem. It was a very simple repair and it would be very easy to check the condition of yours by simply removing that manifold and checking them out. You might even check to see if the manifold bolts are tight. Hydraulic oil leaking past o-rings will allow your slides to move. Can you believe a local rv dealer told this guy he needed a new hydraulic unit at $1300.00?

Last edited:

superduty08

Tennessee Chapter Leaders
I talked with my dealer's tech and He found that air was in the lines. He advised to let the pump run an extra 3 seconds after opening or closing the slides to prevent this from reoccurring. Sounds like an easy fix if it works.

Labatdorf

The problem with the slides still there, we have had the unit in and the dealer says there is no problem. I wish I could take them down the road with me.

gdog

gdog
We have an 09 3055.
We purchased at a dealer that was about 6 hours from the door.
After we got home I discovered a hydraulic leak on the slide beneath the living room slide.
I am fairly handy, so as a result did some searching. The leak was on the fitting of the ram up under the slide above the axles! Not fun. After contact with the service department I lowered and cut a piece out of the bottom to reach up and get a wrench on the fitting to discover it had not been tightened properly from the factory. A quick fix of the bottom cover and all is well.
In time, with this type of leak, I am wondering if it could cause the creeping of the slide?
gdog