Lug nut size

NWTFHunter

Past Missouri Chapter Leaders
My tire lug nut wrench has 3 sizes; 3/4", 5/8", 13/16". None of these fit the lug nuts on my Bighorn. Does anyone know what size the nuts are?:confused:

vangoes

Michael,
You have the aluminum wheels as we do and a regular lug wrench will not work as the lug holes are too narrow. You will have to get a thin wall deep well socket to use with a breaker bar. As a precaution, I carry two of them as they have a tendency to break and at a 125 lbs of torque, its highly probable.

See ya in Gulf Shores.

NWTFHunter

Past Missouri Chapter Leaders
Thanks Van. I'm getting things ready to head south for some warmer temps. Hope to see you there.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Just something to think about.
I went to my Discount Tire dealer and had my tires rotated on the trailer. One of the things they suggested was to replace the lug nuts and they were correct.

The lug nuts have a thin cap on them. If that cap become bent or loose you are going to have a real hard time getting the lug nuts off. I replaced the lug nuts just as one of the originals was starting to be come loose.

I also have 2 torque wrenches, a short extension, a deep socket and 2 - 6 ton bottle jacks. I use one torque wrench with the truck and one with the trailer. Some say not to use an extension but I had a problem getting the torque wrench on the socket. My new lug nuts are bit longer than normal so I can now get a pretty good hold without the extension.

jpmorgan37

An extension on a torque wrench will not affect the accuracy, according to this article. Here is the excerpt.

From time to time people have asked me if it is OK to use an extension with a torque wrench. The answer is yes. Using an extension or reducer with a torque wrench does not affect the accuracy.

The complete article can be found here Hope this helps.

John