New models buillt and production

irvin56

just wondering out loud about the 3 new lines being built.

Do they plan a yr or so ahead??
Do they build out a false interior (meaning no outside skin or roof) and modify it, make changes and they then make a plan and built 1 or 2 before put on to assembly line ?? (to see what their staff and management thinks)
Do they then add on other items and ideas to make each layout and designs different then the other lines they produce (meaning higher quality $$ or on other side of scale$$ light and smaller for small TV,s)???

Just a few of many ??,s as we hear of other going belly up
I realize by reading a lot of threads on all makes, that they use a lot of the same items in each, I would take that as a way to save $$, dealing with same suppliers means better prices for larger quantity??

Thanks for your input

jbeletti

I am not certain how far ahead we "plan" new lines. I think a year or shorter is about right. Heartland is still small and nimble enough to bring new products to market fairly quickly. This capability serves us well as we can respond to market needs in time to make an impact.

We do not build a shell and fit it out when making a prototype. We create floor plans we feel the market wants, then engineering engineers a design. Then we build one - complete. We evaluate it and make minor changes, add features etc.. Sometimes to the prototype, sometimes to the next run. Prototypes are very close to the final product and are usually sold to a dealer. Many dealers want to be the first to get the new designs.

Different floor plans within the same brand usually have the similar features and finishes available. Just different layouts in terms of size and configuration - usually.

I encourage anyone who gets to the area, to visit Heartland's corporate office in Elkhart and tour one of our plants. It's a great opportunity to see how they are built and to ask any questions about our processes.

In fact, when we hold our North American rally in Goshen, Indiana every other year, we include plant tours for those that can join us for the rally.

Thanks for your questions and keep them coming. I'll do my best to answer them.

Jim

irvin56

Thanks for the info

Very interesting and I will definatly tour the factory if I get down there.

I toured one for sob about 7 years ago in Red Deer alberta. they had a big place there and built units rated for the northern temperatures.

There was a big operations setup there by a few companies, as Red Deer was, maybe still is a big RV supplier for Alta and canada