Outside satellite connection

jbeletti

How do I run a satellite connection for a outside TV? Thanks.

Ron,

There are a lot of dependencies to this. There are also a lot of people on the forum that will give you some great ideas.

Please reply with the following:

1. What Heartland Brand and Model Year rig do you have (I believe you have a 2009 or 2010 Bighorn 3580)?
  2. What satellite service do you have (Dish, Direct etc.)?
  3. What brand of dish do you have (Winegard, Motosat etc.)?
  4. Is your dish roof mounted?
  5. How many satellite receivers do you have now and where in the RV are they installed?
  6. Where "outside" do you want to put the TV (storage bay, outside wall etc.)?
Based on your answers to these questions, others will be able to jump in here and give you some great ideas on how to get satellite TV outside.

I have an outside TV but it is mounted inside the storage bay on the door-side. It swings out on an articulating arm. I ran an HDMI cable from the satellite receiver in my bedroom to feed this outside TV. That satellite receiver (DirectTV) has HDMI and Component outputs. I use the component and audio outputs to feed the bedroom TV. I use an RF (UHF) remote control with that receiver so I can change the channels from outside the coach without having line of sight with the receiver. Works great!

I believe you have a Bighorn 3580. In our Landmark and Bighorn product, there is a TV jack on the wall in the storage area. Note however that this jack is connected to the TV/Antenna system and not the satellite wiring. There is a splitter behind the wall that feeds that jack. I would leave that jack as-is and use it for Cable/Antenna if needed. Then I would add another jack next to it and run your own satellite feed to it - if that is a convenient place for you to connect your "outside" TV.

Jim

rmelder

LSU5000
splitter on satellite

I plan on running the outside satellite connection off the bedroom receiver (Direct TV ). Can I put a splitter from the receiver to the bedroom TV and to the outside connection? I know I would have the same show on those two TV. I then could use a remote that lets me change the TV while outside tailgating. I would run a new line into the front storage compartment. Thanks.

jbeletti

I plan on running the outside satellite connection off the bedroom receiver (Direct TV ). Can I put a splitter from the receiver to the bedroom TV and to the outside connection? I know I would have the same show on those two TV. I then could use a remote that lets me change the TV while outside tailgating. I would run a new line into the front storage compartment. Thanks.

Depends on the receiver. Does your receiver have an RF output that connects to the cable/antenna input of the TV?

If it does, then "yes", you should be able to use a 2-way RF splitter to run a feed down to the basement storage area. There you can drop the cable/antenna wire off the back of the existing wall plate and connect your new RF satellite feed to that jack, or, drill a 3/8" hole in the same wall plate and mount an F81 barrel (double female - Radio Shack). Connect your bedroom satellite RF feed to the new jack and use an RF jumper from the jack to the outside TV. Viola!

Jim

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
rmelder, just a thought here. If you want to change channels on your satelite receiver from outside, you should have a RF remote. The remotes that come with the receivers are IR. If you don't have one you can order it from DirecTV for $25. You would also need the small RF antenna that screws to the back of your receiver.
Peace
Dave