Little Red Switch

We are new owners of the 2009 Cyclone. Under the kitchen counter, on the living room side is a light switch. It glows red when in the "on" position. My husband believes that it turns on the water heater. There is also a "heater" button on the water gauges that are on the main control panel right inside the door. So my question is, what does the little red glowing switch actually turn on?

jbeletti

We are new owners of the 2009 Cyclone. Under the kitchen counter, on the living room side is a light switch. It glows red when in the "on" position. My husband believes that it turns on the water heater. There is also a "heater" button on the water gauges that are on the main control panel right inside the door. So my question is, what does the little red glowing switch actually turn on?

Your husband is correct. That switch is to run the water heater on AC power. Never turn that switch on unless you know that you have water in your water heater tank.

The heater switch on the monitor panel is also for the water heater. It's to run the water heater on propane.

Both can be run at the same time, although rarely needed - unless you need a very fast recovery time for high hot water usage like back to back to back to back showers :)

Jim

Cyclone Traveler

To use the electric you will also need to turn on the switch located outside on the water heater. This is the master AC power switch.

jgdds

I see this is almost a year since the last post, but we just picked up a 2009 3850 with this same little red switch. The problem is, it is in a TERRIBLE location...just the right height for my 3 year old to play with.

Does anyone have any suggestions for relocating this switch, possibly to the main control panel if accessible?

Thanks,

Josh

truknutt

Committed Member
I see this is almost a year since the last post, but we just picked up a 2009 3850 with this same little red switch. The problem is, it is in a TERRIBLE location...just the right height for my 3 year old to play with.

Does anyone have any suggestions for relocating this switch, possibly to the main control panel if accessible?

Thanks,

Josh

Something like this cover may be simpler. (LINK)

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I really don't mean this to sound like a smart aleck but how about telling the 3 year old, "No do not touch". BTW the switch cover is a neat idea too.

jgdds

The cover is a great idea...and I did tell her no, and she listens and really is well behaved. However, I can see it being an issue when neither my wife or I are standing right there.

I just don't understand Heartland's thinking in placing the switch in this location. Why not place it where all the other "control" switches are located...the "control panel"?

I may have to get a switch cover...out of sight, out of mind...and yes, much easier than re-wiring the location to the control panel.

Josh

R.Pratt

i also wondered about the location until i closed the door after pulling in the slides getting ready to go, the last thing i do is disconnect the A/C power and low and behold the switch is about eye level for me when looking in..........
if it isnt idiot proof i can assure you i will find out why the safety equipment is installed